Assignment of Rights

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HiiPower2015

Assignment of Rights

Postby HiiPower2015 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 am

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why this, A writes to B, Please pay to C the balance you owe me, is NOT an assignment of rights. I'm sorry if this is simple, but I think I am not getting this because I still don't full get where you draw the line about the means of assignment, and why writing a check is not an assignment of the right. Our professor kind of skimmed over it and didn't explain it fully, but said it would be on the exam. I understand that a check is not an assignment and why it's not as a practical reason, but I am not sure why based on the definition of an assignment or why the example I just stated is not an assignment.

NotMyRealName09

Re: Assignment of Rights

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:13 pm

The "right" being assigned is the creditor's right to recieve payment.

A telling B "pay C what you owe me" is not the same as A telling C "you can have my right to collect what B owes me."

If A only tells B "pay C," and B doesn't do it, C can't then sue B for failure to pay, because C doesn't have the RIGHT to recieve payment from B.

But if A assigns his right to collect the debt to C, and B then fails to pay C, C could sue B. That is because now C has been assigned the RIGHT to recieve payment from B.

That is why a check is not an assignment. It is not assigning rights - it is merely instructing a bank to pay someone. So if you are A, your bank is B, and someone you owe money to is C, a check is A telling B in writing to pay C, just like your example, which is not an assignment.

HiiPower2015

Re: Assignment of Rights

Postby HiiPower2015 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 pm

That makes perfect sense and clears it up! Thanks again

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”