CA Moral Character Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

CA Moral Character Question

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey, I had a quick question re: CA's Moral Character Timeline. I submitted by application (hard copy and online) about a month ago. I never received confirmation that they received everything and they keep on saying "The review process will begin once we compile all the references we sent out." My question is this: Everyone talks about a 6-8 month timeline from submitting the app to being approved. Does this timeline include the time it takes them to compile your references and paperwork? Or does that timeline kick in after they have received all your references? I've sent in every thing from my end and I'm a bit confused.

Thanks.

courtneylove

Bronze

Re: CA Moral Character Question

Post by courtneylove » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm

i never got a confirmation notice that my application was complete on my end, but they sent out letters to my references almost immediately, within two weeks of me mailing in my stuff. i have no idea about the timeline though; i think it's 6-8 months from the time they receive everything from the application, and that time period includes waiting for references to get back to them by mail.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Timeline depends on how much they have to review. I have a friend who submitted in December and had a determination a couple weeks ago.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 am

I submitted early January did not get a confirmation letter til mid February and got my determination mid March.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:46 am

You can't post a subject line like that and not follow with some juicy gossip. I showed up expecting dirt and got a timeline question instead. Classic bait and switch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

txdude45 wrote:You can't post a subject line like that and not follow with some juicy gossip. I showed up expecting dirt and got a timeline question instead. Classic bait and switch.
Hahaha, sorry, I was just getting nervous that they were taking so long to compile everything. I've lived a pretty boring life.

TheGreatFish

New

Post by TheGreatFish » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

The time frame includes the time it takes for references to send in the required information my mail. From what I understand, this is normally why it takes so long. I know someone who was approved within 5 weeks because the CA Bar received all the required information almost immediately.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm

txdude45 wrote:You can't post a subject line like that and not follow with some juicy gossip. I showed up expecting dirt and got a timeline question instead. Classic bait and switch.
Seriously... I regret opening this thread.

lawdawg09

New

Post by lawdawg09 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Submitted mine March 30. I got the confirmation that the hard copy arrived 3 weeks ago. Seemed a bit odd because I sent the hard copy out in early April.

Haven't heard anything yet. I don't have any red flags (that I know about).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm

You're not alone on that -- I had about a two-month delay between submitting and receiving a confirmation letter.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Submitted 12/01, got a letter saying that I was assigned to an analyst in mid-March, haven't heard a peep since.

TheGreatFish

New

Post by TheGreatFish » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:27 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:Submitted 12/01, got a letter saying that I was assigned to an analyst in mid-March, haven't heard a peep since.
You should call them. I received a letter saying I had been assigned to an analyst and went a month without hearing anything. I called to see what the status was, and my analyst grabbed my packet off her desk and went through it right then while she was on the phone with me. It took her all of 10 minutes to get through the whole thing and she approved my file that day.

If your file has not been submitted to an analyst yet, that usually means they're still waiting on responses from references and employers.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:50 pm

TheGreatFish wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:Submitted 12/01, got a letter saying that I was assigned to an analyst in mid-March, haven't heard a peep since.
You should call them. I received a letter saying I had been assigned to an analyst and went a month without hearing anything. I called to see what the status was, and my analyst grabbed my packet off her desk and went through it right then while she was on the phone with me. It took her all of 10 minutes to get through the whole thing and she approved my file that day.

If your file has not been submitted to an analyst yet, that usually means they're still waiting on responses from references and employers.
Called this morning, told it would be cleared by the end of the week. Thanks for the heads-up!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Still waiting

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I submitted application in January, got referral to analyst letter in July, still waiting. Might call soon.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am

Finally passed my C&F at the start of this month (submitted end of Feb). My address with the bar is my family/permanent address so I haven't received the letter yet, but I checked online and saw that I'd passed.

tilly

New

Post by tilly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

TheGreatFish wrote:

FYI - Being assigned to an analyst does not mean that you are up for review anytime soon. I called and spoke with my analyst after not hearing anything for a couple of months. She was very nice, but told me that review of my file had not started yet and wouldn't start for at least a few more weeks. I have a very straightforward application :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”