LOL MPRE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 pm

I think it took right around a month for scores to come out.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Agreed with romo and rad that I felt like that was pretty cruddy (not to mention that my test center was a disorganized shitshow, which is why I'm not home until now, and I was done way early and only left because the proctor told me I looked sick). And I don't even know what I need to pass.

ETA: 85 for NY, but only 75 for NJ :D.
Last edited by keg411 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:14 pm

+1 in the "I wouldn't be surprised if I failed" category.

That would be a pretty big problem, because I'm a 3L, and I won't be able to sit for the MA bar exam if I fail.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Pretty sure you can still sit for the bar, you just have to take it within a year or two in most states.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

MA requires you to pass before you sit.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby stratocophic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 pm

That was a bitch and a half. Good thing the Souf is all bout dat 75 aaaaw yeah

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 pm

"Prior to filing an application to sit the Massachusetts Bar Exam each applicant shall have passed the MPRE with a scaled score of 85 or higher."

http://www.mass.gov/bbe/mbedoc.htm

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby emciosn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I know in my state you can sit for the bar without a passing MPRE but you will not be admitted until you submit a passing score.

I agree that a good portion of the test did not seem to be covered in the barbri handout/video. I did all the practice questions on the barbri site and I will say that I got a lot out of doing those. There were definitely some similar questions on the test that covered very specific situations that were in the practice questions (and explanations) but not in the video.

Overall I think I did ok, I feel good but certainly not great. Probably spent like eight hours or so studying, only need an 80 so I'm feeling confident that I got a little over half of the graded questions correct.

ETA: ah.. I see MA is different...

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Yeah I just need 80 which I feel is a pretty low bar or whatever.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:50 pm

The entire concept of the MPRE makes no sense to me. The whole time I was taking the exam, I was thinking to myself, "I'd never do this so why the hell does it matter to me if it's not allowed?" Furthermore, if I was going to do it, I could easily whip out a copy of the rules to see whether it's allowed. I know enough to recognize whether there is an ethical issue, and that's all they should need to test.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby emciosn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm

bceagles182 wrote:The entire concept of the MPRE makes no sense to me. The whole time I was taking the exam, I was thinking to myself, "I'd never do this so why the hell does it matter to me if it's not allowed?" Furthermore, if I was going to do it, I could easily whip out a copy of the rules to see whether it's allowed. I know enough to recognize whether there is an ethical issue, and that's all they should need to test.


A judge spoke at my LS this week about ethics and he said "if you don't get it now, you will never get it." He was basically saying that if you don't intuitively understand what is right/wrong, going through an ethics class or taking a test on ethics isn't going to make you any better. I think that is exactly in line with what you said--most of us know to look at the rules etc if something smells fishy because we are intuitively ethical. I'm not sure the MPRE makes us more or less likely to behave ethically--most of us are ethical naturally and will behave accordingly...

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby Stinson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 pm

I think it's crummy that you have to memorize stuff and can't bring in an outline or whatever when in real life by far the most obvious (not to mention ethical) thing to do when confronted with an ethical issue would be to, you know, read the rules.

+1 to disorganized test center. Whole thing took way too long because they were letting in a ton of people after you were supposed to have shown up, yet turning around and enforcing the "NO BATHROOM FOR ANYONE AFTER BEING SEATED UNTIL THE TEST STARTS, EVEN THOUGH WE ARE TAKING SO LONG THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT TWO HOUR PERIOD HERE BECAUSE WE REFUSE TO TURN AWAY LATECOMERS!" rule like their lives depended on it.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby emciosn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:Had to take a fetid shit in the middle of the test which was fun


probably the most satisfying part of the whole ordeal for you...

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 pm

I endured probably one of the most disastrous administrations of a standardized test that I could ever imagine. We were seated at about 8:15 AM, all checked in and ready to roll. At about 8:30 the room was full, and everyone was registered but apparently we couldn't start until other classrooms were ready. The proctor said there was a line out the door with people, some of whom presumably couldn't get there before 8:30 AM, and that we had to wait for all of them to be registered. After about an hour of absolute nothingness, the two proctors went around to check everyone's admissions ticket and do a seating chart. Oh, and btw, this entire time, no one was allowed to leave the room. We couldn't leave the room until after the test started. We didn't get to break the seal on the question book until about 10:15, 2 hours after we were registered. And at that point, about 50 hands went up for people who needed to go to the bathroom. And apparently you can't write the time on the board....ugh.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby kaiser » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Felt really confused by the test, and many Q's I kept going back and forth on so I'm honestly fearful that I didn't quite hit the necessary threshold I need (score of 85). Lots of erasing an changing things up. I'm a 3L, so in the event I don't pass, August MPRE wouldn't create any problem or delay for bar admission, would it? Score would still be in well before I actually begin working at my firm, and well before bar results come in.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm

kaiser wrote:Felt really confused by the test, and many Q's I kept going back and forth on so I'm honestly fearful that I didn't quite hit the necessary threshold I need (score of 85). Lots of erasing an changing things up. I'm a 3L, so in the event I don't pass, August MPRE wouldn't create any problem or delay for bar admission, would it? Score would still be in well before I actually begin working at my firm, and well before bar results come in.


If you're doing NY, they won't admit you for like a year anyway, so it probably won't matter.

I just hate that the August MPRE is my sister's bachelorette weekend, which means finding a test center in AC and not getting plastered with everyone the first night. I really hope I managed to pull an 85 out of my ass :(.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby kaiser » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm

keg411 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Felt really confused by the test, and many Q's I kept going back and forth on so I'm honestly fearful that I didn't quite hit the necessary threshold I need (score of 85). Lots of erasing an changing things up. I'm a 3L, so in the event I don't pass, August MPRE wouldn't create any problem or delay for bar admission, would it? Score would still be in well before I actually begin working at my firm, and well before bar results come in.


If you're doing NY, they won't admit you for like a year anyway, so it probably won't matter.

I just hate that the August MPRE is my sister's bachelorette weekend, which means finding a test center in AC and not getting plastered with everyone the first night. I really hope I managed to pull an 85 out of my ass :(.


Yeah, shame I'm not just doing NJ (75 is pretty much the lowest requirement of any state). NY makes it so I can't just sleep through it and still pass.

Stinson
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby Stinson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 pm

waxecstatic wrote:I endured probably one of the most disastrous administrations of a standardized test that I could ever imagine. We were seated at about 8:15 AM, all checked in and ready to roll. At about 8:30 the room was full, and everyone was registered but apparently we couldn't start until other classrooms were ready. The proctor said there was a line out the door with people, some of whom presumably couldn't get there before 8:30 AM, and that we had to wait for all of them to be registered. After about an hour of absolute nothingness, the two proctors went around to check everyone's admissions ticket and do a seating chart. Oh, and btw, this entire time, no one was allowed to leave the room. We couldn't leave the room until after the test started. We didn't get to break the seal on the question book until about 10:15, 2 hours after we were registered. And at that point, about 50 hands went up for people who needed to go to the bathroom. And apparently you can't write the time on the board....ugh.


Northeastern?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:53 pm

emciosn wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had to take a fetid shit in the middle of the test which was fun


probably the most satisfying part of the whole ordeal for you...

For sure man

Just the way to clear your head

When dealing with thorny ethical dilemmas

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Two Observations:

(1) It is hard to get questions on the MPRE correct, but still easy to pass the MPRE. The same is true of the bar exam. If you get 40% of the MPRE questions wrong you'll probably feel like you screwed the pooch, because you're barely doing better than an "eliminating obviously wrong then guessing" strategy. But you will still pas the exam.

(2) In many states, passing the MPRE doesn't have to happen prior to passing the bar to get licensed. You have like 3 years to get it done in some states, so even if you fail, just do some research before letting yourself panic or alter plans.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby emciosn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:
emciosn wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had to take a fetid shit in the middle of the test which was fun


probably the most satisfying part of the whole ordeal for you...

For sure man

Just the way to clear your head

When dealing with thorny ethical dilemmas



Haha yes--now there is one LR pointer that I will remember for my career...

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby JJDancer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:58 pm

It was harder than I thought. I had about 10 qs that I confidently knew the answer to, about 30 where it was down to two, and about 3-5 where I had no idea.

I'm sure I would have felt a lot better if I better memorized a rule. It came down to "oh, I know there's a rule about this... is it x or y...?" lol

I need an 86 (CA), but I'm a 2L so no worries if I need to take it again. Hope I can scrape by with something under a 100. I'll be surprised if I get below 75, but also if I get over 100.

No point thinking about it anymore until the results come!

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby Sinra » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I couldn't find any way to cancel my registration--NBD if I just didn't show right? I couldn't find a cancel link anywhere. :?: I am going to take it in November instead. You don't like get a zero or anything ?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Sinra wrote:I couldn't find any way to cancel my registration--NBD if I just didn't show right? I couldn't find a cancel link anywhere. :?: I am going to take it in November instead. You don't like get a zero or anything ?


I likewise just didn't show for my first scheduled session (saw no cancel option). I don't remember getting a zero, took it later, and passed - don't recall any record of the first no show.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LgownaCav, nubcs and 2 guests