LOL MPRE

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SKlei
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby SKlei » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:15 am

Sadly I feel like I was just guessing on answers abd see myself in the same seat come november

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:53 am

SKlei wrote:Sadly I feel like I was just guessing on answers abd see myself in the same seat come november


Eh so what, it's 70 bucks. No big deal. And you probably passed.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Time to jam to some tunes and mow the lawn. We all passed, no doubt. Take the rest of the summer easy fellas.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Lasers wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:The lecture dude said 32-38 out of 50 was a typical passing score, and 38 was almost certainly safe. So I guess cautiously aim for about a 46/60 on the practice tests, but several questions lower than that will probably get you there as well.


guess another 70 dollar donation is on the horizon.


Wait... I thought it was 32-38/60?!

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:56 pm

shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices. At minimum, you have to know all the rules, and I don't think 2 days is enough to get to even that point.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices.


Yeah it is just like any law school test. The reason it is blown of is unlike LS where you need to gun for an A, you can get a bare passing score and still be in the same boat as the person who got 100% right.

However, if you are not intuitive at LS tests (I def am not) you need to prepare for this like any other test (lots of MC questions, analyzing why you get the Qs wrong, not just that they were wrong, etc.)

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Yes, I definitely agree with that.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby badaboom61 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:49 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
Lasers wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:The lecture dude said 32-38 out of 50 was a typical passing score, and 38 was almost certainly safe. So I guess cautiously aim for about a 46/60 on the practice tests, but several questions lower than that will probably get you there as well.


guess another 70 dollar donation is on the horizon.


Wait... I thought it was 32-38/60?!


Maybe I misunderstood it then. I really hope you're right (although no motivation to check). I feel a lot more confident that I got 38 of those things right than 46 of them.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:13 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices. At minimum, you have to know all the rules, and I don't think 2 days is enough to get to even that point.


I passed with about 4-5 hours of studying. So did most people I know. Two days is just excessive.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices. At minimum, you have to know all the rules, and I don't think 2 days is enough to get to even that point.


I passed with about 4-5 hours of studying. So did most people I know. Two days is just excessive.


The only way I'd recommend two days, if you are in one of those situations were you need to pass to either take the bar, or to get licensed. Otherwise, 4-5 hours is TCR.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Don't most states require you to pass in order to get your license? Texas does.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm

kalvano wrote:Don't most states require you to pass in order to get your license? Texas does.


Meant, you gotta pass THIS time or something bad happens. Most people can retake a few times. I think one state makes you pass it before the bar, or else you can't even take the bar.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22824
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:26 pm

They all make you pass to get your license, but some states (maybe just Massachusetts?) require you to pass before you can even take the bar exam.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices. At minimum, you have to know all the rules, and I don't think 2 days is enough to get to even that point.



This description is so apt it's not even funny. I would go so far as to say that's the number one thing they test on the MPRE. It's rather odd, because you could study the rules and understand them just find, but easily bomb the exam because of this. To be honest, the MPRE is actually more difficult than the MBE. The MBE just asks straightforward questions where you simply need to know the law. If you know the law being tested on the MBE you'll be fine--the MPRE--not so much. The 4-5 hour study comments are just lolonline bragging.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I recommend two full days of intense studying, so you don't have any regrets later. Sure, you'll probably score 30 points more than needed, but you'll feel good about it.


I disagree with this. Many of the questions tested exceptions to a rule presenting a fact pattern slightly different from one that would epitomize the rule you studied, and would contain 2 answer choices that mentioned the same thing (i.e. informed consent) but would add an extra adjective or another clause to confuse you. I don't know why people think this test is a joke. Knowing the rules isn't enough to pass. Knowing the exceptions isn't enough to pass. You have to be able to figure the nuances in certain fact patterns and especially the answer choices. At minimum, you have to know all the rules, and I don't think 2 days is enough to get to even that point.



This description is so apt it's not even funny. I would go so far as to say that's the number one thing they test on the MPRE. It's rather odd, because you could study the rules and understand them just find, but easily bomb the exam because of this. To be honest, the MPRE is actually more difficult than the MBE. The MBE just asks straightforward questions where you simply need to know the law. If you know the law being tested on the MBE you'll be fine--the MPRE--not so much. The 4-5 hour study comments are just lolonline bragging.

Dood MPRE harder than the MBE?

Gotta be kiddin me

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22824
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Yeah, seriously, if you learn the professional rules (and read the comments), the MPRE is not at all hard, and it's a much smaller body of knowledge than the MBE covers.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, seriously, if you learn the professional rules (and read the comments), the MPRE is not at all hard, and it's a much smaller body of knowledge than the MBE covers.


It's a smaller body of law--so in the sense of effort needed to learn the rules yeah. But the MBE just asks the question and presents a normal fact pattern. Like the poster I quoted was saying, the MPRE doesn't do that. It gives you a fact pattern where they adjust one adjective that completely changes how the tested rule is to be applied; and if you don't figure out/remember how that adjective affects the question you're going to get it wrong. I never really ran into questions like that on the MBE.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, seriously, if you learn the professional rules (and read the comments), the MPRE is not at all hard, and it's a much smaller body of knowledge than the MBE covers.


It's a smaller body of law--so in the sense of effort needed to learn the rules yeah. But the MBE just asks the question and presents a normal fact pattern. Like the poster I quoted was saying, the MPRE doesn't do that. It gives you a fact pattern where they adjust one adjective that completely changes how the tested rule is to be applied; and if you don't figure out/remember how that adjective affects the question you're going to get it wrong. I never really ran into questions like that on the MBE.

I studied 8-9 hours for the MPRE and passed by a lot

8-9 hours wouldn't even get me through MBE property

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22824
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:43 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, seriously, if you learn the professional rules (and read the comments), the MPRE is not at all hard, and it's a much smaller body of knowledge than the MBE covers.


It's a smaller body of law--so in the sense of effort needed to learn the rules yeah. But the MBE just asks the question and presents a normal fact pattern. Like the poster I quoted was saying, the MPRE doesn't do that. It gives you a fact pattern where they adjust one adjective that completely changes how the tested rule is to be applied; and if you don't figure out/remember how that adjective affects the question you're going to get it wrong. I never really ran into questions like that on the MBE.

My experience was that the adjectives all triggered stuff that was discussed in the comments to the rules, so I found it pretty straightforward. I mean, I didn't get anything like a perfect score, but I also studied by watching 1/2 the Barbri MPRE lecture and reviewing the book for maybe 3 hours, tops, and passed in all jurisdictions, so I can't complain.

thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby thepete » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:50 pm

uhmm.. wth.. while I was getting ready to almost submit my exam.. the proctor comes up to me and says that I shouldn't have my wristwatch on. Takes away the wrist watch and tells me that she is going to report the incident to the NCBE.. I understand that it was my fault for not reading through the "not to bring list" carefully, but will they cancel my score for having a wristwatch (non-digital) during the exam...?

I am so stressed out right now..

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:54 pm

thepete wrote:uhmm.. wth.. while I was getting ready to almost submit my exam.. the proctor comes up to me and says that I shouldn't have my wristwatch on. Takes away the wrist watch and tells me that she is going to report the incident to the NCBE.. I understand that it was my fault for not reading through the "not to bring list" carefully, but will they cancel my score for having a wristwatch (non-digital) during the exam...?

I am so stressed out right now..


Probably.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:00 pm

I think I took my watch into the exam. I wasn't wearing it, but still. It was on the desk in front of me.

waxecstatic
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby waxecstatic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thepete wrote:uhmm.. wth.. while I was getting ready to almost submit my exam.. the proctor comes up to me and says that I shouldn't have my wristwatch on. Takes away the wrist watch and tells me that she is going to report the incident to the NCBE.. I understand that it was my fault for not reading through the "not to bring list" carefully, but will they cancel my score for having a wristwatch (non-digital) during the exam...?

I am so stressed out right now..


Probably.


Hopefully not. I didn't write that paragraph in cursive.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
thepete wrote:uhmm.. wth.. while I was getting ready to almost submit my exam.. the proctor comes up to me and says that I shouldn't have my wristwatch on. Takes away the wrist watch and tells me that she is going to report the incident to the NCBE.. I understand that it was my fault for not reading through the "not to bring list" carefully, but will they cancel my score for having a wristwatch (non-digital) during the exam...?

I am so stressed out right now..


Probably.


Hopefully not. I didn't write that paragraph in cursive.


That's a different thing entirely.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: LOL MPRE

Postby rad lulz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 pm

kalvano wrote:I think I took my watch into the exam. I wasn't wearing it, but still. It was on the desk in front of me.

Yeah same




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests