LOL MPRE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bronx Bum

Bronze

Re: LOL MPRE

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm

rawrab wrote:I'm sorry some of you guys didn't pass, I know exactly how you feel as I missed by one point last april. I am so annoyed about the circle jerk surrounding the mpre that says "lol didn't study at all got 150" because that makes people think they don't have to study and then they end up failing. Stop the circle jerking, it needs to end! The mpre isn't the hardest test ever but it does require putting in some time and studying in order to pass!
TCR. I fell for this twice. I also fell for the "don't start studying until July for the bar" LOL

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I think a lot of it is just the fact that over the past few years the whole "MPRE is not that hard" theme has gone from a "do not put in MBE hours" to people basically saying "well if you took PR 2 years ago your good, do not study bro."

And a lot of it is test taking abilities. IMO 90% of the posters on TLS are smarter than I am, and they most certainly go to better schools. It can be easy for someone to see all these top students at top schools say "it is easy" w/o connecting the dots and appraising one's own ability.

I suck at MC, and MPRE is just a standard "pick the best answer" test. I assume MBE is the same damn thing.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:54 pm

You guys must be borderline retarded or something if you actually did anything more than a couple hours. This shit is easy.

Though I wouldn't recommend half assing it, if failing would delay your bar admissoin.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:54 pm

how do you calaculate your score from the scaled score? ( im in NY so I need an 85)

krishna_das

New

Post by krishna_das » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Indeed, I would caution anyone from half-assing preparation for the MPRE. There is nothing at all wrong with being overly prepared for an exam that (with very few, if any, exceptions) you MUST pass to become an attorney. Usually, being overly prepared will just give you plenty of cushion from your jurisdiction's required score. If you want to become an attorney, you need to take it seriously just as you would the bar exam. The MPRE may take less time than the bar exam to prepare for it, but I believe it takes preparation nevertheless.

As for me, I watched the Barbri video and reviewed the outline. Most of what I did over a solid week was all Barbri's practice exams, and a few of Kaplan's practice exams. I scored a 109 (first try, this past August). Take it seriously.
Last edited by krishna_das on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm

northwood wrote:how do you calaculate your score from the scaled score? ( im in NY so I need an 85)
The score on your NCBE "File Cabinet" is ur score. You individually do not need to compute it.

W/e that big bold # is, that is your score.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Gorki wrote:
northwood wrote:how do you calaculate your score from the scaled score? ( im in NY so I need an 85)
The score on your NCBE "File Cabinet" is ur score. You individually do not need to compute it.

W/e that big bold # is, that is your score.
Wait, don't they give you the scaled, you divide by 2 then multiply by 1.6 to get the number that gets reported to the bar? Or am I wrong?
Last edited by Bronx Bum on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

duplicate POST DELETED

Ali Khan

New

Post by Ali Khan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Finally passed 3rd attempt. Required score 85.

First time: 77

Second: 83

Third: 87

First time I studied for a day. Did about 10 practice problems and the BarBri lecture.

Second time I studied for three days, and did about 40 practice questions and listened to the BarBri lecture again.

Third time I realized that the BarBri lecture is useless, except for those small exceptions and narrow rules. I completed 4 practice exams and looked over the outline in the BarBri test book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Anyone know how long it takes for the State Bars to update their files to show that we passed?

msjd219

New

Post by msjd219 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

This may be a stupid question, but if I'm planning to take the bar exam in two states, do I need to do something to have my MPRE score sent to the second state? Specifically, I'm planning to take both NY and MA. I took the MPRE in MA and requested that my score be sent to MA when I registered for the exam. Is there something I need to do now in order to have it sent to NY also?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm

msjd219 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but if I'm planning to take the bar exam in two states, do I need to do something to have my MPRE score sent to the second state? Specifically, I'm planning to take both NY and MA. I took the MPRE in MA and requested that my score be sent to MA when I registered for the exam. Is there something I need to do now in order to have it sent to NY also?
yes. they have a "score services" tab on the MPRE page. Unfortunately there is a fee (idr how much) but they do it all for you so long as you pay.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Ali Khan wrote:Finally passed 3rd attempt. Required score 85.

First time I studied for a day. Did about 10 practice problems and the BarBri lecture.

Second time I studied for three days, and did about 40 practice questions and listened to the BarBri lecture again.

Third time I realized that the BarBri lecture is useless, except for those small exceptions and narrow rules. I completed 4 practice exams and looked over the outline in the BarBri test book.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't know . . . I studied the bare minimum (listened to barbri outline, did not even get the lecture book, etc.) and passed. Happy and waiting for my imminent bar failure to tear me down.

krishna_das

New

Post by krishna_das » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Ali Khan wrote:Finally passed 3rd attempt. Required score 85.

Congrats, Ali Khan. Kudos to you for your persistence. It finally paid off. 8) Hopefully the bar (if you haven't already taken it) will go differently.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Got a 66, WTF.

Third time taking the exam too.

How is this even possible.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:19 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:I got an 89.. how do I figure out if I passed? I'm particularly interested in NY and MA

89 passes. NY only needs an 85. the scaled score at the top of the paper is the score NY looks at, and as long as that number is above 85 you are good to go

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Got a 66, WTF.

Maybe you misbubbled?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 pm

First time taker, that took PR over a year ago. I studied 2 half days. I somewhat listened to the Themis lecture (4 hours total) and did about 250 practice questions on Themis' website. I got a 103.

I think the practice questions + explanations were key, the lecture not so much. I didn't read the outline book.

TIMEATELL

New

Post by TIMEATELL » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Congrats to everyone who passed. To those who didn't, keep your head up and get back in the saddle. This test is not as easy as people make it out to be. Initially, I thought I did terrible because I literally bubbled in the last answer as the proctor asked everyone to put their pencils down. I thought most of the questions were challenging and required the allotted time (if not more).

I studied for two days (~8 hours/day) prior to the exam using Barbri. The day before the exam, I completed the Barbri T/F questions and took one Barbri practice exam (including review of explanations). On the morning of, I read Barbri's short outline. Scored 122.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 am

Gorki wrote:I think a lot of it is just the fact that over the past few years the whole "MPRE is not that hard" theme has gone from a "do not put in MBE hours" to people basically saying "well if you took PR 2 years ago your good, do not study bro."

And a lot of it is test taking abilities. IMO 90% of the posters on TLS are smarter than I am, and they most certainly go to better schools. It can be easy for someone to see all these top students at top schools say "it is easy" w/o connecting the dots and appraising one's own ability.

I suck at MC, and MPRE is just a standard "pick the best answer" test. I assume MBE is the same damn thing.
It's not that hard. An 85 is like 24th percentile

And that's on the high end of what states require

Plus you have people who walk in there literally w no studying

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Got a 66, WTF.

Shit brother

How do you do on the BarBri PTs?

There's gotta be some way we can get you to do better

66 is like bottom 10% of takers

What can we do to help you with passing this test, brother

marmot8

New

Post by marmot8 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 am

Passed. For future test takers, I reviewed the BarBri outline casually over two days, watched the video the next, then took two BarBri tests the following day. Taking it in August seemed to be a good decision; work was already over so I casually studied while still doing things with half of my day. I do think that the test is tricky and requires studying. With that being said, I took PR two years ago and was confusing myself on what I remembered versus what I thought I remembered the more I studied. Just my experience- good luck!
Last edited by marmot8 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

ironman467

Silver

Post by ironman467 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:14 am

Just took the bar in August. Then failed this test for the second time. So, if I pass the bar, I will be sworn in a month late.

lame
Last edited by ironman467 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

New York?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”