LOL MPRE Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
escapefrom

New

Re: LOL MPRE

Post by escapefrom » Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Kobe824 wrote:Yeah, I'd suggest using the Barbri practice exams -- the Barbri questions are very similar to the actual MPRE questions. I only did the four exams in the back of the book beforehand and I scored a 123.
I managed to read that long outline in the Barbri book and two practice exams, but that was clearly not enough. I am going to retest while I'm taking PR and focus all of my energy on Barbri instead.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

The barmax app is good to review the rules themselves, and hey it's free, but I agree that the questions themselves are way too straightforward to be helpful to prep for the actual test. Barbri's questions are basically identical to the test questions, including a lot of the common trick patterns, like the old "try to trick you into saying you can't accept a contingency fee in a domestic relations matter but it's really a debt collection matter" one that seems to appear in every test.

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

I looked at BarMax and was not impressed. Themis claimed I was passing easily on the practices, but I found the actual questions in November to be more complex -- hence the 82. Listened to the Barbri lecture, read just the Conviser short outline and did a bunch of practice questions on the iPad.

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I also failed using Themis. While I'll certainly study with Barbri in August, this makes me wonder if I've made a terrible decision using Themis to study for the bar :shock:

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Got 91 after assuming I didn't pass the NY threshold. And I nearly didn't cross it apparently. Hate hate hate MC tests

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Also got a 70 with similar, if not less, studying.

God I hate multiple choice exams.
I got an 80, which isn't enough for MA. Apparently it's good enough in Palau though, as well as DC. Pretty disappointed, but whatever.
Your job (if you have one) okay w you taking a later bar?

Edit: assuming you're taking MA
I'm only a 2L but I legit studied for this exam, and am pretty frustrated. I don't know what to do for next time other than get a good night's rest and not second guess my answers at the end.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:19 am

waxecstatic wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:Also got a 70 with similar, if not less, studying.

God I hate multiple choice exams.
I got an 80, which isn't enough for MA. Apparently it's good enough in Palau though, as well as DC. Pretty disappointed, but whatever.
Your job (if you have one) okay w you taking a later bar?

Edit: assuming you're taking MA
I'm only a 2L but I legit studied for this exam, and am pretty frustrated. I don't know what to do for next time other than get a good night's rest and not second guess my answers at the end.
How did you study?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:31 am

kaiser wrote:Got 91 after assuming I didn't pass the NY threshold. And I nearly didn't cross it apparently. Hate hate hate MC tests
You weren't that close to failing; you only need an 85 to pass for NY (and an 86 to pass for everywhere).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 am

Series70 wrote:I also failed using Themis. While I'll certainly study with Barbri in August, this makes me wonder if I've made a terrible decision using Themis to study for the bar :shock:
If you actually studied, the problem is between your ears bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AMCD

Bronze

Post by AMCD » Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 am

Series70 wrote:I also failed using Themis. While I'll certainly study with Barbri in August, this makes me wonder if I've made a terrible decision using Themis to study for the bar :shock:
Did you pay for Themis already, or just put down a deposit? If it is just the deposit and you want to switch, Barbri will give you that credit towards tuition. I know a lot of classmates are using Themis, but my school had a more than 90% pass rate with Barbri for the last July bar. Just going to follow the masses on this one.

disillusioned_guy

New

Post by disillusioned_guy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 am

I am a 3L and I failed the MPRE for Massachusetts (I needed an 85 to pass and I got a 75.)

I am now precluded from sitting for the July bar because Massachusetts requires a passing score before taking the bar. I can re-take the MPRE in August (and November, if necessary) but I won't be able to take the bar until next February.

I don't really know what's best for me to do under these circumstances. Is it wise to get a job and work up until December?

This is very discouraging. :cry:

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Yeah, well, we can't all be as smart as you. And save your "bromancing" b.s. for your frat buddy boyfriends, scumbag.

Series70

New

Post by Series70 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:00 pm

AMCD wrote:
Did you pay for Themis already, or just put down a deposit? If it is just the deposit and you want to switch, Barbri will give you that credit towards tuition. I know a lot of classmates are using Themis, but my school had a more than 90% pass rate with Barbri for the last July bar. Just going to follow the masses on this one.
Already paid in full, and got the books! Hopefully their bar prep is better than their MPRE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed May 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Last edited by northwood on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Series70 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Yeah, well, we can't all be as smart as you. And save your "bromancing" b.s. for your frat buddy boyfriends, scumbag.
How did you study?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Series70 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Chill, I know a bunch of smart people that failed the MPRE. It's a weird test. What DF means is that you likely either got nervous or are trying to go more on instinct of what's right/wrong vs. learning the specific rules. I passed by one point, but if I failed, I would've just shrugged and retaken in August. It's NBD.

Sucks for the MA guy though. That's a rough rule.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm

disillusioned_guy wrote:I am a 3L and I failed the MPRE for Massachusetts (I needed an 85 to pass and I got a 75.)

I am now precluded from sitting for the July bar because Massachusetts requires a passing score before taking the bar. I can re-take the MPRE in August (and November, if necessary) but I won't be able to take the bar until next February.

I don't really know what's best for me to do under these circumstances. Is it wise to get a job and work up until December?

You may have to look for jobs and study for the bar while you are working (assuming you get a job) dude

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kxz

New

Post by kxz » Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Just got my score back. Got a 99 just studying with Themis.

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Wed May 08, 2013 1:32 pm

disillusioned_guy wrote:I am a 3L and I failed the MPRE for Massachusetts (I needed an 85 to pass and I got a 75.)

I really feel for you and I'm very sorry to hear it. I'm not sure why MA does this and it leaves some people in very disruptive situations. I wish I had more to offer than condolence in terms of a plan, but all I can say is I'm really sorry.

disillusioned_guy

New

Post by disillusioned_guy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Stinson wrote:

I really feel for you and I'm very sorry to hear it. I'm not sure why MA does this and it leaves some people in very disruptive situations. I wish I had more to offer than condolence in terms of a plan, but all I can say is I'm really sorry.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

disillusioned_guy

New

Post by disillusioned_guy » Wed May 08, 2013 4:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:

You may have to look for jobs and study for the bar while you are working (assuming you get a job) dude
Thanks. Yes; most likely, I need to find some kind of job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjj

New

Post by mjj » Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Damn. I had the flu the week I took the MPRE. I slept all week and half-heartedly opened the Themis outline the night before the test at 9 or 10. Never took an ethics class, literally kept dozing off during the test. Passed by one point. Therefore, I too think that car accident story is bullshit.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Bumping for August 2013.

I started using Kaplan's outlines; have signed up for BARBRI.

Anyone confirm or deny which of the two has the better MC Qs... it looks like both outlines are basically the same shiz.

c3pO4

Silver

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:This better be as easy as everyone says because I basically have just watched the Barbri video and followed along with the handout. 5 hours of studying max.
went out hte night before, listened to half of chemerinsky's lecture in the car on the way to the test, passed all jurisdictions. had taken ethics class the year before. it was easy but the ethics class knowledge came in handy. if you haven't taken PR you might fail if you only study for 1 hour. if you (actually) study for 3, you will pass regardless.

also agree about ITT advice: it's actually quite easy to fail if you try to use common sense. it's all about rule application, and they write the Qs so common sense leads to the wrong answer usually. but if you even vaguely remember the few k PR rules, u will see thru the tricks easily even if half asleep.

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: If you've taken the MPRE...

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:22 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This better be as easy as everyone says because I basically have just watched the Barbri video and followed along with the handout. 5 hours of studying max.
went out hte night before, listened to half of chemerinsky's lecture in the car on the way to the test, passed all jurisdictions. had taken ethics class the year before. it was easy but the ethics class knowledge came in handy. if you haven't taken PR you might fail if you only study for 1 hour. if you (actually) study for 3, you will pass regardless.

also agree about ITT advice: it's actually quite easy to fail if you try to use common sense. it's all about rule application, and they write the Qs so common sense leads to the wrong answer usually. but if you even vaguely remember the few k PR rules, u will see thru the tricks easily even if half asleep.

I was told: "Jesus minus one" is the credited strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”