Work Life Balance (180 Video) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYstate

Gold

Re: Work Life Balance (180 Video)

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:41 pm

quakeroats wrote:
NYstate wrote:
quakeroats wrote:If big law hours don't work for you, don't work in big law. What exactly is the point of harping on stuff like this? You're all getting triple the U.S. median income before bonuses, and you're not even expected to work three times as hard. We're talking 50-70ish hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bankers work a lot harder and so do med students, but they whine a lot less about it. Your pay puts you in the richest .27% of people on Earth by income. You're each one of the 16 million richest people alive, but you'd never know from reading this thread. If you don't like what comes along with being a Master of The Universe, leave.
Did you watch the video?

Also, biglaw lawyers aren't even close to being Masters of the Universe, we are even less than the crumbs from the cake.
Nonsense. If you make Kirkland's PPP you're in the top 0.001% of world income. That's one of the top 107,000 people in a world of 7 billion.
Did you even read Bonfire of the Vanities?

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:If big law hours don't work for you, don't work in big law. What exactly is the point of harping on stuff like this? You're all getting triple the U.S. median income before bonuses, and you're not even expected to work three times as hard. We're talking 50-70ish hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bankers work a lot harder and so do med students, but they whine a lot less about it. Your pay puts you in the richest .27% of people on Earth by income. You're each one of the 16 million richest people alive, but you'd never know from reading this thread. If you don't like what comes along with being a Master of The Universe, leave.
Deleting commas != being a Master of The Universe
Do you know what first year analysts do at Goldman?
Yeah, can you even get a reservation at dorsia?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:47 pm

NYstate wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Did you watch the video?

Also, biglaw lawyers aren't even close to being Masters of the Universe, we are even less than the crumbs from the cake.
Nonsense. If you make Kirkland's PPP you're in the top 0.001% of world income. That's one of the top 107,000 people in a world of 7 billion.
Did you even read Bonfire of the Vanities?
Do you want a book report?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 pm

quakeroats wrote:
NYstate wrote: Did you even read Bonfire of the Vanities?
Do you want a book report?
You two are nerdz

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:00 pm

quakeroats wrote: Do you want a book report?
Is that a no? Because if you had, you would have gotten my intended joke.

I think you might want to chill out about this whole topic. The video is a joke with people looking like they are being forced to explain how balanced their life is - but the balance is that they get to go home when they don't have work. No one is complaining about biglaw. We are laughing at the video.

But, you can keep yelling at me for being ungrateful. I am actually very grateful to my biglaw firm but for entirely personal reasons that have to do with them being awesome when I needed them and their support. I am not grateful to them for paying me the market rate for doing my job. They wouldn't expect me to be either.

I don't measure importance by how much a person earns. The people I know who have the most money, including partners at my firm, inherited it. Doesn't mean that they are more Masters of the Universe than anyone else. I think your priorities and values differ from mine. But your values are more inline with most of the people on TLS who just want to make 6 figures at whatever cost. So, I guess that means you win?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
dood we all know it's hard word dood

The joke is that this video makes it seem like you can easily have balance

When it's difficult as shit
The video was poorly done, but that's because they picked the wrong lawyers. Who do you think gets the pleasure of being interviewed in an HR video on a bunch of silly stuff for new recruits? Midlevel/senior associates and newish partners who weren't able to get out of it. That's really all that's on display here.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Balance wrote:
quakeroats wrote: The video was poorly done, but that's because they picked the wrong lawyers. Who do you think gets the pleasure of being interviewed in an HR video on a bunch of silly stuff for new recruits? Midlevel/senior associates and newish partners who weren't able to get out of it. That's really all that's on display here.
I think you are correct. The lawyers that they picked were probably in that "natural lull" portion of their day that is standard amongst associates at large firms.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the lull counts as part of your balance?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 pm

NYstate wrote:
quakeroats wrote: Do you want a book report?
Is that a no? Because if you had, you would have gotten my intended joke.
But you're still asking a question, so maybe you've missed something.
I think you might want to chill out about this whole topic. The video is a joke with people looking like they are being forced to explain how balanced their life is - but the balance is that they get to go home when they don't have work. No one is complaining about biglaw. We are laughing at the video.
I think you should reread the thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:00 pm

I love this. The background music is underrated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”