Work Life Balance (180 Video)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Work Life Balance (180 Video)

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm

stillwater

Re: Work Life Balance (180 Video)

Postby stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:55 pm

that video is TTT

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSJUzYCGtc

God damn, I knew what this video was going to be.

:lol:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 pm

It's so cool that they have the technology to enable you to bring work home w you every night

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:It's so cool that they have the technology to enable you to bring work home w you every night

Work isn't so hard. I just work really hard all day. Having dinner, then work until I sleep.

LOL at this being in a recruiting video.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:It's so cool that they have the technology to enable you to bring work home w you every night

Work isn't so hard. I just work really hard all day. Having dinner, then work until I sleep.

LOL

I like second guy. If you try really hard you can (hesitates) have a balance. (where balance = having dinner at home)

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 pm

It is a really old video.

Favorite quotes
"If you make the extra effort to try and balance, you can on balance do so"

"... on balance, my life remains in balance."

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 pm

Roo Bee wrote:The african american woman died at age 37. She probably billed more than 20,000 hours and died.
She was literally worked to death.

RIP

This isn't flame.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Unsurprising that the guy who was super stoked for the technology to be able to work from home after dinner eventually made partner.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow. K&E must think we are idiots.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Roo Bee wrote:The african american woman died at age 37. She probably billed more than 20,000 hours and died.
She was literally worked to death.

RIP

This isn't flame.

I had to look this one up. There is a blog about her that is kept up by her husband. She died at age 37 pregnant with her 4th child. Her heart stopped and there was some abruption with the placenta - not sure what that means.

She was running her own firm then and living in Georgia to be near her parents.
She worked for Kirkland in Chicago for 6 years and Holland and Knight for a year after that. Then she opened her own law firm for two years which she was running when she died in bed.

http://www.anitaslove.com/about/
http://www.anitaslove.com/anitas-life/

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm

RELIC wrote:

You don't understand biglaw. Being able to go home every night and have dinner with your family is a big deal. This video is old though. I think pre-ITE firms were trying to convince people the firm offered balance. I don't know how much they try to sell it now.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:38 pm

NYstate wrote:
RELIC wrote:

You don't understand biglaw. Being able to go home every night and have dinner with your family is a big deal. This video is old though. I think pre-ITE firms were trying to convince people the firm offered balance. I don't know how much they try to sell it now.

No I get it. But no one at K&E has work-life balance. They have one of the worst reputations for work-life balance in all of big law.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

The outrageous part is how objectively transparent the lie is. Damning with faint praise.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Balance wrote:
NYstate wrote:
RELIC wrote:

This is a fundamental problem with big-law. In the drug game, you end up either dead or in jail. But in big law you either end up dead or addicted to ale.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Balance wrote:"I'm Doing Great Work. And so when I'm away from my husband and I'm away from my children, the work is fulfilling. Conversely, when things slow down at work I am home, I am not at the office. And so, on balance, I think my life remains in balance."
-Anita L Schick.

Anita L. Schick died on August 21st, 2009, peacefully in her bed. She wasn’t sick. She was 27 weeks pregnant and in (seemingly) perfect health. To date, no cause is known for her death. She was 37 years old.

Pretty crazy.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The outrageous part is how objectively transparent the lie is. Damning with faint praise.

True. And that the lie isn't even that your life will be that great.

It would be hilarious to get one of those people who read body language and facial expressions to see if a person is lying to analyze that video. Even to me they look like they are having to force themselves to say the words to the camera.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:48 pm

NYstate wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The outrageous part is how objectively transparent the lie is. Damning with faint praise.

True. And that the lie isn't even that your life will be that great.

It would be hilarious to get one of those people who read body language and facial expressions to see if a person is lying to analyze that video. Even to me they look like they are having to force themselves to say the words to the camera.

The blonde guy basically gulps before saying "ON balance you can get balance"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Balance wrote:
NYstate wrote:
RELIC wrote:

This is a fundamental problem with big-law. In the drug game, you end up either dead or in jail. But in big law you either end up dead or addicted to ale.

180 schtick

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:29 pm

If big law hours don't work for you, don't work in big law. What exactly is the point of harping on stuff like this? You're all getting triple the U.S. median income before bonuses, and you're not even expected to work three times as hard. We're talking 50-70ish hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bankers work a lot harder and so do med students, but they whine a lot less about it. Your pay puts you in the richest .27% of people on Earth by income. You're each one of the 16 million richest people alive, but you'd never know from reading this thread. Loans aren't even a viable excuse for staying at a big firm anymore. At most it's a 10% tax on your income (no matter how small) for 20 years. If you don't like what comes along with being a Master of The Universe, leave.
Last edited by quakeroats on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 pm

quakeroats wrote:If big law hours don't work for you, don't work in big law. What exactly is the point of harping on stuff like this? You're all getting triple the U.S. median income before bonuses, and you're not even expected to work three times as hard. We're talking 50-70ish hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bankers work a lot harder and so do med students, but they whine a lot less about it. Your pay puts you in the richest .27% of people on Earth by income. You're each one of the 16 million richest people alive, but you'd never know from reading this thread. If you don't like what comes along with being a Master of The Universe, leave.

Deleting commas != being a Master of The Universe

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

quakeroats wrote:If big law hours don't work for you, don't work in big law. What exactly is the point of harping on stuff like this? You're all getting triple the U.S. median income before bonuses, and you're not even expected to work three times as hard. We're talking 50-70ish hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Bankers work a lot harder and so do med students, but they whine a lot less about it. Your pay puts you in the richest .27% of people on Earth by income. You're each one of the 16 million richest people alive, but you'd never know from reading this thread. If you don't like what comes along with being a Master of The Universe, leave.

Did you watch the video?

Also, biglaw lawyers aren't even close to being Masters of the Universe, we are even less than the crumbs from the cake.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

Deleting commas != being a Master of The Universe

Do you know what first year analysts do at Goldman?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 pm

dood we all know it's hard word dood

The joke is that this video makes it seem like you can easily have balance

When it's difficult as shit

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:36 pm

NYstate wrote:

Did you watch the video?

Also, biglaw lawyers aren't even close to being Masters of the Universe, we are even less than the crumbs from the cake.

Nonsense. If you make Kirkland's PPP you're in the top 0.001% of world income. That's one of the top 107,000 people in a world of 7 billion.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”