Undergrad and Summer job/future job

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mcs268

Undergrad and Summer job/future job

Postby mcs268 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Not sure which forum to post this in, figured this was appropriate. I understand completely that undergrad does not matter for law school admissions, but does it matter at all when looking for a summer legal job/employment after graduation?

cinephile

Re: Undergrad and Summer job/future job

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Something that pays.
or
whatever pays the most.

Ave

Postby Ave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

cinephile wrote:Something that pays.
or
whatever pays the most.

I had to reread a few times to understand but I think OP was asking whether UG preftige matters for 1/2L summer employment (and eventually post graduation)

And no.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Ave wrote:I had to reread a few times to understand but I think OP was asking whether UG preftige matters for 1/2L summer employment (and eventually post graduation)

And no.

Well, maybe for alumni connections / networking but that isn't about prestige.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeah, I guess I misread. I thought you were looking for an undergrad summer job.

Alumni connections from your undergrad can help you when interviewing for law school jobs. It's not as big a factor as your grades/rank, but it does give you something else to talk about with your interviewer and gives them another reason to like you. Even outside of alumni connections, it could provide an indication that you want to be in a certain market.

idelosix

Postby idelosix » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Ave wrote:I had to reread a few times to understand but I think OP was asking whether UG preftige matters for 1/2L summer employment (and eventually post graduation)

And no.

Well, maybe for alumni connections / networking but that isn't about prestige.

100% this. I got a 2L SA, and I'm 80% certain that the fact that 50% of the office has a degree from my UL helped (it helped a lot in interviews anyway). Prestigious enough state school, I guess, but the alumni aspect is the only thing that matters I think. Prestige, not so much.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”