Which Bar should I take?: VA, OR, or NY

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jjjj

Which Bar should I take?: VA, OR, or NY

Postby jjjj » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I'll be graduating this spring and though I don't to practice law in the future, I'm still hoping to take the bar. Without dwelling too much on those two facts in combination, I'm hoping for some advice on where to take it. I realize I could take it anywhere I want, but I'd like to take it somewhere that I have some sort of tie. Virginia might be the most obvious choice since it's where I will be spending the next 5 or so years, but I hear the bar there is actually one of the hardest and I'd prefer to avoid any undue stress beyond what I can already expect, all else being equal. I'm from Oregon originally and my family still lives there, so that could be a conceivable alternative. Also practically everyone I go to school with takes the NY bar. So these seem to be the three states I'm somewhat connected to at this point, in that order.

If it were you, which would you take: VA, OR, or NY? Does anyone have any sense of how these states compare to each other in difficulty? Especially curious about how hard Oregon's exam is supposed to be if anyone has any idea... Have been having some trouble finding info on that.

(P.S. Just going by passage rates makes VA look like either the easiest or a close second, which runs against some of the stuff I've been hearing on this forum and elsewhere. So that's why I'm hesitant to rely on passage rates, for anyone who is wondering!)

Thanks so much in advance for your advice! And for refraining from making this a post about how I'm idiotic for taking the bar when I don't need to/why did I go to law school if I didn't want to practice law 8)

I.P. Daly

Re: Which Bar should I take?: VA, OR, or NY

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 pm

jjjj wrote:Virginia might be the most obvious choice since it's where I will be spending the next 5 or so years

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”