Being an officer in a club on campus?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dreamflower

Being an officer in a club on campus?

Postby dreamflower » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Do you think prospective employers give a lot of weight to being an officer in a club on campus? Or only if president? And even if you are the President, how much does it help when getting jobs, if at all?

I am a 1L and elections for out public interest group are on Thursday. I have a background doing lots of PI work but I am not totally set on that being my career path. I am still interested in joining a firm and maybe doing tax. I just don't want to pigeon hole myself.

So she I consider running for a position in the PI group, or would it pigeon hole me and/or not worth it? Would firms think it is weird to be really involved in a PI group?

bk1

Re: Being an officer in a club on campus?

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:08 pm

You don't have to list everything on your resume if you're worried about employers considering you too PI focused.

I know that firms aren't going to care. My suspicion is that PI employers would rather see you do something (e.g. volunteer for the ACLU, work for a PD's office, etc) than be an officer in a club.

dreamflower

Re: Being an officer in a club on campus?

Postby dreamflower » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 pm

bk1 wrote:You don't have to list everything on your resume if you're worried about employers considering you too PI focused.

I know that firms aren't going to care. My suspicion is that PI employers would rather see you do something (e.g. volunteer for the ACLU, work for a PD's office, etc) than be an officer in a club.

Ture about not having to list everything on my resume. Didn't even think of that! ha. Now I just wonder if it will positively impact any prospective PI jobs and if it worth the time commitment ... uhhhh. haha.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”