Bar Application Letters of Recommendation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GertrudePerkins

Bar Application Letters of Recommendation

Postby GertrudePerkins » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Hello all,

I just discovered that as part of my Massachusetts Bar Application, I need two letters of recommendation. The application materials (LinkRemoved) are a little vague on what such a letter should look like or who it should be from, though it's clear that it can't be from a family member and does not need to be from a lawyer. Anyone have any experience with this process and have thoughts? Maybe just have my clerkship recommenders tweak their letters? (My hesitation in that regard is that I doubt the clerkship recs are as character-focused as the Board would presumably like these letters to be.) I feel like some of my classmates are actually in the best position to comment on my character and ethics, but it seems slightly odd to use the recommendation of a classmate.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't some deeply troubling or difficult issue; I'm just curious what others have done and if anyone has ideas about how to make this the least amount of work as possible -- both for myself and for possible recommenders.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”