CA Bar Character & Fitness

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lakers24fan

CA Bar Character & Fitness

Postby lakers24fan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 am

What exactly does the CA bar ask for when they are checking out your background before you can get admitted? What exactly are they looking at? I assume they would have access to the resume you gave your law school when you applied... do they contact all the jobs you had on there and ask them about you? Do they contact volunteering organizations where you volunteered?

ManOfTheMinute

Re: CA Bar Character & Fitness

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 am

https://www.calbarxap.com/applications/calbar/California_Bar_Moral_Character/

Specifically related to your question, you list all of your jobs that lasted longer than six months (they contact these employers to verify dates, positions, and reason for termination). They would not contact the volunteering organizations unless something in your file (collected through your references or otherwise) made them want to. You should assume that they have access to everything.

What have you done that you do not want them to find out about?

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks!

It's not that I have done anything wrong, it's just that one of the organizations where I volunteer at right now will no longer be in existence after this June, so I was concerned with how they would contact the organization/people I volunteered with 3 years from now when they check all this stuff.

TheGreatFish

Postby TheGreatFish » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 am

When you fill out the application, there's an option to let them know if a particular company or organization you worked with is no longer in existence. One of the companies I worked for prior to law school went out of business. It didn't seem to be an issue when I applied.

lakers24fan

Postby lakers24fan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

TheGreatFish wrote:When you fill out the application, there's an option to let them know if a particular company or organization you worked with is no longer in existence. One of the companies I worked for prior to law school went out of business. It didn't seem to be an issue when I applied.

great, thanks for letting me know!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”