Choosing a Clinic, Advice Appreciated

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ZyzzBrah

Choosing a Clinic, Advice Appreciated

Postby ZyzzBrah » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:03 pm

First, I'll get the stats out of the way: 2L, top 15-20%, LR, published, school in 30-40 range.

I have to choose a clinic next year and was considering the school's appellate program (it's a year long and you end up arguing one case before the state court of appeals); I have a SSC clerkship already, so I was wonder if this clerkship and the clinic combined would make me a good candidate for appellate practice at an nlj250.

(1) is it worth it? The clinic is more work than other clinics
(2) Is appellate work worth getting into?

rad lulz

Re: Choosing a Clinic, Advice Appreciated

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm

As to 2, a lot of firms don't have appellate groups; it's just a part of the general lit group. Appellate tends to be a very small part of what firms do probably because no one wants to pay for appeals.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm

I don't think the clinic will make you any more competitive for appellate work than the SSC clerkship will; I think pretty much any appellate clerk is going to be seen as qualified and get slotted into appellate work (unless it's one of those scary firms were only the former SCOTUS clerks get to do the appellate stuff...). In that respect, an appellate clinic would be kind of redundant, though if it's what you want to do, go for it. Personally, I would go for a clinic that actually taught me something about going to court/trial level stuff - because you get so little exposure to that in law school otherwise - but that's just me.

As for going into appellate work, I agree with rad that there aren't a ton of appellate jobs (again, unless you're a former SCOTUS clerk). Appellate work is quite different from trial stuff in that you're really rarely in court, and you don't have the same kind of contact with opposing counsel - or anyone else, really - that you have in trial-level litigation. An appellate attorney once told me, "We don't get out much." There is certainly consultation with your coworkers and if you get oral arguments there will be moot courts, but it will be much more sitting alone in your office, researching and writing, than trial work. So whether this is worth getting into depends on what kind of work experience you want.

MauriceGains

Postby MauriceGains » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 am

Mirin' username OP.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”