Study Abroad - Buenos Aires

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bld2414

Study Abroad - Buenos Aires

Postby bld2414 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Has anyone studied abroad/lived in Buenos Aires? I'm thinking about spending my 3L spring there. I have a job lined up so that shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on how safe it is?

TheColonel

Re: Study Abroad - Buenos Aires

Postby TheColonel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 pm

I lived in Buenos Aires for ~3 months and found it to be just as safe as any major city. Like anywhere else, keep your wits about you and you'll be completely fine. It's a huge metropolis (slightly higher population than Chicago), so there are good areas and bad areas to be avoided. The city has a European feel to it, and it seems the crimes (pickpocketing, etc.) are fairly European in nature as well. I never ran into any problems in my entire stay there. If you're a woman you'll be subjected to lots more unwanted attention than usual, but that's probably true of lots of latin america.

In general, the people are some of the nicest I've come across. PM me if you have any specific questions.

sicxela

Postby sicxela » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I studied abroad in Buenos Aires as well... I found it to be safe and didn't feel personally threatened, but pickpocketing (especially on the subte) is an issue. I had several friends who had everything stolen on the way to class, and our program director even had his cell phone taken during our safety orientation! The irony... It is an amazing city and as long as you only carry what you really need each day you will be fine. Never carry anything irreplaceable and it won't be a huge deal if something goes missing! I would love the opportunity to return to BA as a law student... You should go for it!

bld2414

Postby bld2414 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies.

I've been in school in NYC, so Im used to being alert about my surroundings.

If you have any tips about things to do/sights to see, Im all ears.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Do it! Do it! DO IT! Who CARES about its effect on your career? DO IT!

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:43 pm

bld2414 wrote:Has anyone studied abroad/lived in Buenos Aires? I'm thinking about spending my 3L spring there. I have a job lined up so that shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on how safe it is?

I've probably spent a year and a half total in Buenos Aires over the last ten years, and I have never, ever had anything happen to me at all. If you're going to study abroad, that's not a bad place to do it at all. If you have any more questions about the city in general, PM me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”