Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am

--LinkRemoved--

When a presumably smart undergrad student can do some research into the wisdom of going to law school and still come to the conclusion that it's a good idea (mostly because of what seems to be a variation on the special snowflake argument (princeton students are smart! and we have 3 SCOTUS justices!)), what hope can we have for ordinary 0Ls to figure it out?

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 am

According to University of Chicago law professor Brian Leiter


Stopped reading there.

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby HankBashir » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:58 am

Wow. This op-ed is awful.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby Xifeng » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 am

dr123 wrote:
According to University of Chicago law professor Brian Leiter


Stopped reading there.


:lol:

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22865
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:03 am

HankBashir wrote:Wow. This op-ed is awful.

Abysmal. "Applications to law schools are going down because the job opportunities for lawyers are declining. So smart Princetonians can get in and turn this around!" :?:

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am

Apparently it's the "LSATs" not the LSAT.

What an awful op ed.

Oh, and apparently law is "a somewhat neglected niche." Hah

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 am

the room being created for young talent is expanding. There has not been a better time to go to law school in recent memory.

lol, just lol

Total jobs are fewer than they were in 2004, but the space for highly qualified lawyers is expanding

Space in the unemployment line, I suppose.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:24 am

This guy only writes bad articles.

I might detail them all or not.

Here's the first one he wrote:
"Outdated Stereotypes" (LinkRemoved)
Princeton has the stereotype of being exclusive. But not in the SAT vocab word definition sense. In the diversity sense. :roll: When I was contemplating schools to go to, my parents and others were worried about how I might maintain my Jewish identity amongst the homogeneity of Princeton. This stereotype is probably from 1958 which isn't too long ago because 15 of the 23 people who didn't get into an eating club were Jewish. BUT ACTUALLY NOW THAT I'VE BEEN HERE FOR A SEMESTER I'M HAPPY AND I'M NOT A VICTIM OF ANTI-SEMITISM.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 am

Article 2: Legalize Marijuana (LinkRemoved)

Direct excerpt:
"Another vital issue to take into consideration is that legalizing marijuana would directly and unequivocally reduce its price. A decrease in product cost could directly correlate to an increase in consumption. This is not necessarily a bad trend if marijuana consumption accompanied a decrease in alcohol consumption."


Article 3 is the worst article ever.
The proclivity to give back (LinkRemoved)
...
If community service is considered great and those who “give back” are admired, why should we not institutionalize incentives to perform further community service? I am not suggesting that the United States make national service mandatory — the American emphasis on maintaining personal freedom is too high. It is sad, however, that the only two institutionalized manifestations of American democratic citizenship are voting and paying taxes, especially when only 50 percent of Americans take advantage of their democratic right to vote. The American government would be remiss to use the proverbial stick of compulsory mandates, but it could use some form of carrot.

The government could, for example, allot $10,000 for college or professional training to every student who chooses to take a year off after high school to complete a community service regimen. This step would be the equivalent to the US government putting $4,000 aside for each baby born into a 19-year zero-coupon government bond, earning 5 percent per year, amounting to a maximum of $40 billion per year if all four million soon-to-be college students decide to take the year off to work on behalf of the community. It would also be possible for a post-undergraduate student to take a year off after college for an incentive of $12,500. In reality, a small fraction of students would opt for this service program, because the socially accepted progression of middle school to high school to college would not be altered overnight. This delay could give the government time to build the infrastructure, involve the private sector to cost share and increase potential opportunities.



...

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby HankBashir » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 am

The author/lemming could have bolstered his already great analysis by stating that a law degree is "super awesome" and can grow into a giant beanstalk when planted in the yard behind the unemployment office


The comment section in this op-ed is a thousand times better than the op-ed itself.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 am

"The whole economics of law has changed since the 1980s, which aids us in understanding the current trend."

This is a really bad sentence...I don't know why I'm so surprised

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 am

HankBashir wrote:
The author/lemming could have bolstered his already great analysis by stating that a law degree is "super awesome" and can grow into a giant beanstalk when planted in the yard behind the unemployment office


The comment section in this op-ed is a thousand times better than the op-ed itself.


So true. Horrible article.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
HankBashir wrote:
The author/lemming could have bolstered his already great analysis by stating that a law degree is "super awesome" and can grow into a giant beanstalk when planted in the yard behind the unemployment office


The comment section in this op-ed is a thousand times better than the op-ed itself.


So true. Horrible article.

Indeed.

Incidentally, I read some of the other articles on that site. What the fuck Princeton?

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:28 am

Yeah the author should kill himself.

(Did I do it right? Is this the line for the bandwagon? I am glad we all posted our disgust separately because it really wasn't clear whether it was a well written article after the first 5 posts attacking it.)

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby Davidbentley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:30 am

EvilClinton wrote:Yeah the author should kill himself.

(Did I do it right? Is this the line for the bandwagon? I am glad we all posted our disgust separately because it really wasn't clear whether it was a well written article after the first 5 posts attacking it.)

Forgot to quote. Slacker.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 am

That being said, I really enjoy the comment from the "Unemployed Top 4 Law School Grad." Hmmm, I wonder which law school he went to... hmmm. And then he tries to compare HLS and CLS as if they have the same prestige and employment opportunity.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:41 am

Since Princeton students tend to have the focus, resolve and problem-solving skills to successfully make it in the world of law, perhaps 2013 can be the year that starts the reversal of the trend.


They apparently tend not to have the writing and reasoning skills, though.

I'm literally (and I mean literal in the literal sense of the word) stunned at how bad this is, and on how many levels.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 am

laxbrah420 wrote:The government could, for example, allot $10,000 for college or professional training to every student who chooses to take a year off after high school to complete a community service regimen. This step would be the equivalent to the US government putting $4,000 aside for each baby born into a 19-year zero-coupon government bond, earning 5 percent per year, amounting to a maximum of $40 billion per year if all four million soon-to-be college students decide to take the year off to work on behalf of the community. It would also be possible for a post-undergraduate student to take a year off after college for an incentive of $12,500. In reality, a small fraction of students would opt for this service program, because the socially accepted progression of middle school to high school to college would not be altered overnight. This delay could give the government time to build the infrastructure, involve the private sector to cost share and increase potential opportunities.


The economics of feeding yourself wouldn't be altered overnight either, I imagine. It's kind of cool how the privilege shines through the fucking abysmal prose.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:50 am

elterrible78 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:The government could, for example, allot $10,000 for college or professional training to every student who chooses to take a year off after high school to complete a community service regimen. This step would be the equivalent to the US government putting $4,000 aside for each baby born into a 19-year zero-coupon government bond, earning 5 percent per year, amounting to a maximum of $40 billion per year if all four million soon-to-be college students decide to take the year off to work on behalf of the community. It would also be possible for a post-undergraduate student to take a year off after college for an incentive of $12,500. In reality, a small fraction of students would opt for this service program, because the socially accepted progression of middle school to high school to college would not be altered overnight. This delay could give the government time to build the infrastructure, involve the private sector to cost share and increase potential opportunities.


The economics of feeding yourself wouldn't be altered overnight either, I imagine. It's kind of cool how the privilege shines through the fucking abysmal prose.


one could even say, through el terrible prose... :roll:

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby guano » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 am

If the quality of this article is indicative of what Princeton Law would be like, it'd be right up there with the ABCs (Appalachian, Barry, Cooley)

User avatar
scruffy556
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby scruffy556 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am

I really hope one of you faked the "old lawyer" post with the classic shitboomer shtick and that's not a real person

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Bronck wrote:Apparently it's the "LSATs" not the LSAT



Oh god. I understand when they say it like that on tv. It's a common enough misconception, and as far as I can tell most/a lot of laymen think that's how you say it. But to actually write it in a fucking piece encouraging people to go to law school? Jesus fuck.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Over/Under on whether this kid had significant help writing his college essays to get into Princeton?

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:50 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Over/Under on whether this kid had significant help writing his college essays to get into Princeton?

Probably .5...like all binary questions

If you're going to call someone stupid...

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Princeton Op Ed: "Go to law school."

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

The logical reasoning and the writing in this piece are sooooo effing atrocious. I guess I should've gone to Princeton or something instead of my local state school. I would've been an effing rock star.

"Every educated person, says, don't go to law skool, is bad. They has experience and understand smatistics. Therefore, we must go law school nao.
Sincerely,
Legacy Admit Overcompensating for Low IQ."




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 6 guests