Bar early start??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Bar early start??

Postby BCLS » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 am

I see a lot of gunners here contemplating starting the bar prep prior to graduation. Does this make sense? How common is this? I was planning on waiting until may.

iShotFirst

Re: Bar early start??

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 am

I'll be working pretty heavily for five weeks post-grad so I've decided to study at least MBE stuff starting after spring break, if I wasn't working though I wouldn't do it.

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 am

Do not do this. I actually think the 2 months that bar-bri built into its program is actually too much studying. Just follow the bar course pacing guide and keep your sanity!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 am

There is no need to start studying early at all. Remember, it's a test of minimum competency. Also, personally, because so much of my bar prep depended on rote memorization, if I'd started in March, I'd have forgotten everything again in July (after, I'd forgotten it all by October).

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 pm

tagged cause im interested in this

im a horrible test taker. T30 school with bottom 10 percent grades. I realized I might need extra help so I'm currently doing barbri early start paced program but cut out the AMP...it sucks

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 am

AntiHuman wrote:tagged cause im interested in this

im a horrible test taker. T30 school with bottom 10 percent grades. I realized I might need extra help so I'm currently doing barbri early start paced program but cut out the AMP...it sucks

Do you have to pay extra for the early start program? I've decided I'm not going to start early based on the concensus here.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm

BCLS wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:tagged cause im interested in this

Do you have to pay extra for the early start program? I've decided I'm not going to start early based on the concensus here.

You have to pay your full tuition for barbri to get access to their AMP and stuff...but AMP sucks and I'm just gonna skip it all...anyone have any opinions on this?

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 pm

I have been doing the AMP. I am not a gunner -- just have kids and want any headstart at review in case I lose any days due to child issues! They say that you will repeat a certain amount of the AMP materials in the traditional course, hence my desire for the insurance. But, it's a drag and takes a LOT longer than they tell you to get through those modules. Who remembers 1L first semester. Certainly not me.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 am

Real gunners start studying for the bar before matriculation

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am

Does Barbri still offer a pretest for the MBE as part of its prep? If so, I would take that and see what your baseline is. If you are doing well in some subjects and poorly in others then adjust your study plan accordingly.

Also, early prep is not needed. This is all short term memory stuff. Starting sooner just means you have to work longer. It doesn't really make anything easier.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Real gunners start studying for the bar before matriculation

If you're not prepping for the bar during 1L, you're not doing it right

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”