US District Court externship vs. US Attorney

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jimbogiant

US District Court externship vs. US Attorney

Postby Jimbogiant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 pm

So I have a decision to make for the Fall semester of my 3L year - do an externship either with a US district court, or with the local US attorney's (criminal division) office. Will a judicial externship like this make ANY difference for actual (post graduation) clerkship applications? I'm thinking of applying for clerkships, and want to do whatever will look best on my resume - however, I think the US attorney spot will be better as far as practical benefit goes (as a 3L you could potentially be second chair on some more minor trials, get to shadow/observe the attorneys, get more one on one time with the attorney you report to [read: better networking opportunity], etc.). Will judges give a crap about a judicial externship done before a clerkship?

Just looking for some guidance, interested in what you all think.

kalvano

Re: US District Court externship vs. US Attorney

Postby kalvano » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 pm

Judges won't really care. And the USAO is a blast to work at.

jessuf

Re: US District Court externship vs. US Attorney

Postby jessuf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 pm

It would help if you got this judge as a reference or to write a letter of recommendation for you. Or if you applied to judges in the same courthouse.

Otherwise, no.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”