July Bar Exam Prep

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS

Re: July Bar Exam Prep

Postby BCLS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm

So I got 0/3 on mbe questions. Freakout?!!

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 pm

is the paced program the "studysmart law school" mini review?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Also, would I be crazy to wait until late April after my finals are over to begin preparing for the bar exam? I was thinking I would do the early start program in late April until May 30 when the course begins

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Have not started studying yet. Taking NY and NJ, doing BarBri for NY (paid by firm) but no specific plan for NJ yet. Anyone have any recommendations as to how to study independently for the NJ bar exam? I've heard the NJ-specific parts are fairly trivial compared to the MBE, but I'm trying to figure out where to get a good guidebook/set of outlines/whatever just to calm my nerves now.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:12 pm

So I talked to one of my school's counselors, who was also a grader for 20+ years. She mentioned that with PTs, the best thing to do now is to take it with loose time restrictions (recc'd 4 hours) in order to build good habits, learn patterns, and develop a technique. SHe said the more we do, the faster and more efficeint we'll become with our technique and, logically, the better we will perform. Thinking about doing a PT either this Sunday or next week if anyone in the Bay Area is interested

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Can u guys just tell me where I can get the pts? I have all my Barbri stuff which has some tests-- but aren't those for the course?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 pm

My school has a class dedicated to PTs, so that is where I got most of my material. There is a book called "Pass" which has some PTs as well.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm

anyone think of paying the $300 for multistate edge? BarBri seems to be advertising it. Worth it?

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:58 am

The Multi State Edge is included if you paid up by something like March 1st. I paid a few days later and then called and yelled at them for asking for another almost $400 for that. So they signed me up. After $4k, I told them they had to be joking. Appears they were.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 am

AMCD wrote:The Multi State Edge is included if you paid up by something like March 1st. I paid a few days later and then called and yelled at them for asking for another almost $400 for that. So they signed me up. After $4k, I told them they had to be joking. Appears they were.

I'm going to see if I can get this. Not cool.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 am

Do you guys know if Multistate Edge repeats MBE questions found in the Barbri materials? I was told no. I wan't to do some Edge before my Barbri course starts in May.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm

I dont think it does. I'd prob hold off on doing any MBEs right now. Seems too early and I'm sure it would be more beneficial with more study

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:48 am

No, the multi state edge program is not the same questions as Barbri. As far as doing this too early: They recommend, as part of the "early start program" that you do 50 questions from the multi state edge with each MBE subject -- at the end of the review of that subject, so it's supposed to test you after exposure to the lecture, outlines and amp modules to the related subject.

BTW, the torts lecture is totally entertaining -- all eight hours!

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 am

AMCD wrote:No, the multi state edge program is not the same questions as Barbri. As far as doing this too early: They recommend, as part of the "early start program" that you do 50 questions from the multi state edge with each MBE subject -- at the end of the review of that subject, so it's supposed to test you after exposure to the lecture, outlines and amp modules to the related subject.

BTW, the torts lecture is totally entertaining -- all eight hours!

Thanks!!! I'm going to start this in may before the course.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Here are some PTs I found that the CA State Bar released:

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... .aspx#ptsa

There are a ton of exams. Let me know which ones you guys decide to do so if we have any questions, we can just shoot them off in this thread!

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

Awesome!

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 am

FWIW, I'm doing the July 2010 one tomorrow

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am

This really needs to be said every now and then...

Folks, the best single predictor of your performance on the Bar exam the first time you attempt it is your class rank. If you are in the top third and you use virtually any Bar prep program, you're going to pass. Middle third, almost as certain to pass except maybe in places like California where you are still very likely to pass.

The bottom third is where panic may be legitimate but ONLY there. So unless you are substantially below the mean, quit worrying about it. Use ONE prep program and if you among the Top Ten, say, use the cheapest most convenient method of study you can. You will still pass probably even if you do nothing but self-study on your own.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:This really needs to be said every now and then...

Folks, the best single predictor of your performance on the Bar exam the first time you attempt it is your class rank. If you are in the top third and you use virtually any Bar prep program, you're going to pass. Middle third, almost as certain to pass except maybe in places like California where you are still very likely to pass.

The bottom third is where panic may be legitimate but ONLY there. So unless you are substantially below the mean, quit worrying about it. Use ONE prep program and if you among the Top Ten, say, use the cheapest most convenient method of study you can. You will still pass probably even if you do nothing but self-study on your own.

Yes, because having a law school exam that looks like this predicts everything.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 pm

when should we be using studysmart mbe?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”