Summer Classes Outside of the Law School? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lolfranks51

New

Summer Classes Outside of the Law School?

Post by lolfranks51 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:43 am

Hi,

I’m currently a 1L at a school ranked between 40-60. I haven’t been able to find a summer job and don’t want to waste the summer. I have a good amount of accounting classes completed from college and I’ve always been interested in taking the CPA exam in my state and always intended to do this at some point after law school, anyway. So, I’d like to finish up the number of accounting credits that I need to take the CPA exam. Does anyone here have any experience with this? I’d probably just take the classes at my local community college this summer. Has anyone here done this? And does anyone know how I could go about getting financial aid for this?

eerie_erie

Bronze

Re: Summer Classes Outside of the Law School?

Post by eerie_erie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 pm

If you're a 1L with no summer job yet, keep looking for a summer job that gives you legal experience. You need it going into interviews for 2L year.

InRemington

New

Post by InRemington » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

CPA/JD is strong. I don't see how locking up a CPA path is less beneficial than a 1L summer. Just follow through if you're able to take the courses, pull the trigger on the CPA down the road.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am

Might also check with your law school on this subject. I know some allow you to complete 6 hours of UG credit that will apply as pass/fail towards electives for your JD.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 am

ajax adonis wrote:At least have some type of legal employment that you can have as a line on your resume to talk about and not seem weird at OCI.
dude goes to a 40-60 school and has presumably mediocre grades

dude isn't getting a job out of OCI

OP you should get legal experience 1L summer though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”