Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
PitchO20
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

Postby PitchO20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I know the application period for NY lasts from April 1-30, and that NY's C&F doesn't occur until after one has passed the bar. Is there anything I should be doing now, prior to April 1? Gathering driving records or law school certifications? Some other burdensome shit that seems unnecessary?

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 pm

PitchO20 wrote:I know the application period for NY lasts from April 1-30, and that NY's C&F doesn't occur until after one has passed the bar. Is there anything I should be doing now, prior to April 1? Gathering driving records or law school certifications? Some other burdensome shit that seems unnecessary?


I didn't even open the email about the application until like November. There's no rush, as the absolute earliest you can get sworn in is February. Shit, there are midlevel associates who still haven't been sworn in because they haven't submitted their C&F apps.

Biggest benefit of being sworn in is getting biz cards/profile on the firm website.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

Postby piccolittle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Shit, there are midlevel associates who still haven't been sworn in because they haven't submitted their C&F apps.

I hope this is a joke...

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Biggest benefit of being sworn in is getting biz cards/profile on the firm website.


(And getting hours credited for representing clients pro bono in justice court)

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Taking the NY Bar this summer - what should I be doing now?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Shit, there are midlevel associates who still haven't been sworn in because they haven't submitted their C&F apps.

I hope this is a joke...


Not even a little bit. Not uncommon.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: checkers and 13 guests