Does it have to be Bar Bri? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eco

Bronze

Re: Does it have to be Bar Bri?

Post by Eco » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

Ultimately I think I would rather take a course. I'm hoping I can get more info on whether Kaplan is a good course. I just remember they are pretty bad on teaching the LSAT, wondering if they are also bad with the BAR.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 am

No, their bar course is nothing like their LSAT course - I wouldn't compare the two. (Everything I've ever heard is that yes, their LSAT course sucks, and yes, their bar course is fine. But they're totally different things.)

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Hmm, then maybe Kaplan is a good option. It is about $1,000 less than Bar Bri. Then again, I don't know if trying to save $1,000 after all I've already borrowed etc... is worth it, given that bar bri is what everyone seems to be doing. Thanks for the advice though.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Eco wrote:Hmm, then maybe Kaplan is a good option. It is about $1,000 less than Bar Bri. Then again, I don't know if trying to save $1,000 after all I've already borrowed etc... is worth it, given that bar bri is what everyone seems to be doing. Thanks for the advice though.
That's really how they hook you though. That and "if it costs $1,000 extra it must be worth that much more" type of thing, like a mini version of law school. Sure, if my firm was paying I'd take the higher cost course, but based on my experience self-studying I wouldn't spend the extra $1,000.

FWIW, the my school people who had firm jobs overwhelmingly did Barbri, but those who didn't seem to split between that a Themis/Kaplan

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Eco wrote:Hmm, then maybe Kaplan is a good option. It is about $1,000 less than Bar Bri. Then again, I don't know if trying to save $1,000 after all I've already borrowed etc... is worth it, given that bar bri is what everyone seems to be doing. Thanks for the advice though.
You should try negotiating Kaplan's price down, especially since you don't seem to be in a rush to sign up and are open to options. Actually BarBri's as well. I've heard it works for both co's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

^ Hmm, good suggestion. I'll try that this week and let you guys know how it goes!

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Eco wrote:^ Hmm, good suggestion. I'll try that this week and let you guys know how it goes!
I haven't yet tried negotiating course costs down myself so I don't know the level of savings to expect. But considering how little effort it would take, might be worth a shot regardless. I'd think at least a few hundred off each course would be reasonable, not something paltry like $50.

Also, if you know the early bird prices quoted at your school even if weeks or months ago, I'd definitely start with that -- in fact I'd expect to get that. At least this is what I'll eventually try when I get around to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”