Taking two state bar exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Taking two state bar exams

Postby BCLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 am

Do you guys think its doable? I have a job in one state, but I went to school in another. I'd like to take two bars for flexibility. Do you think taking two bars will confuse me; especially since I need to focus the most on the state in which I will be working? I'm just wondering how many people take two bars. Thanks.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby guano » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am

BCLS wrote:Do you guys think its doable? I have a job in one state, but I went to school in another. I'd like to take two bars for flexibility. Do you think taking two bars will confuse me; especially since I need to focus the most on the state in which I will be working? I'm just wondering how many people take two bars. Thanks.

it depends on the states. Where I live people do it all the time.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby BCLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 am

guano wrote:
BCLS wrote:Do you guys think its doable? I have a job in one state, but I went to school in another. I'd like to take two bars for flexibility. Do you think taking two bars will confuse me; especially since I need to focus the most on the state in which I will be working? I'm just wondering how many people take two bars. Thanks.

it depends on the states. Where I live people do it all the time.

In what sense does it depend? Location or difficulty?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby guano » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am

BCLS wrote:
guano wrote:
BCLS wrote:Do you guys think its doable? I have a job in one state, but I went to school in another. I'd like to take two bars for flexibility. Do you think taking two bars will confuse me; especially since I need to focus the most on the state in which I will be working? I'm just wondering how many people take two bars. Thanks.

it depends on the states. Where I live people do it all the time.

In what sense does it depend? Location or difficulty?

location - some states are easy to do in combination, while other states present scheduling conflicts. Use the search function, there's a whole thread on it

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 am

In July of 2011, someone took NY and NJ concurrently. She completed NY on Tuesday and Wednesday, and traveled to NJ on Thursday. During the Thursday session, she passed out cold (landed flat on her back on the concrete floor) for at least three minutes during the exam, regained consciousnesses, and finished. I'm not sure about NY, but Above the Law reported that she passed New Jersey.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby piccolittle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 am

A lot of people do NY & NJ or NY & CT. What happens is you study for NY, then basically make up the law on the other state's exam based on what you know of NY and some important state differences. Not joking.

It's a combination of location and difficulty. You need states that share an MBE day (they all do), but have their state days on different days, and have similar enough law that you don't have to study for two full exams. You also need to be able to travel to the other state in time for their state portion. So, for example, New York will have the state day on Tuesday, both will do the MBE on Wednesday, and Connecticut will have their state day on Thursday. Or something like that.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby BCLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 am

piccolittle wrote:A lot of people do NY & NJ or NY & CT. What happens is you study for NY, then basically make up the law on the other state's exam based on what you know of NY and some important state differences. Not joking.

It's a combination of location and difficulty. You need states that share an MBE day (they all do), but have their state days on different days, and have similar enough law that you don't have to study for two full exams. You also need to be able to travel to the other state in time for their state portion. So, for example, New York will have the state day on Tuesday, both will do the MBE on Wednesday, and Connecticut will have their state day on Thursday. Or something like that.

What about MA and CT?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby piccolittle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 am

BCLS wrote:
piccolittle wrote:A lot of people do NY & NJ or NY & CT. What happens is you study for NY, then basically make up the law on the other state's exam based on what you know of NY and some important state differences. Not joking.

It's a combination of location and difficulty. You need states that share an MBE day (they all do), but have their state days on different days, and have similar enough law that you don't have to study for two full exams. You also need to be able to travel to the other state in time for their state portion. So, for example, New York will have the state day on Tuesday, both will do the MBE on Wednesday, and Connecticut will have their state day on Thursday. Or something like that.

What about MA and CT?

Looks like CT is Tuesday and Wednesday and MA is Wednesday and Thursday, so in theory that could work (MBE day is Wednesday). I would call a bar prep course and ask if this is a combo they typically do. Many test prep companies (like Barbri) will let you take one state's review course and give you supplementary materials to prepare for the other one.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Taking two state bar exams

Postby BCLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks I'll give them a call.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chicharon, MSNbot Media, ValeVale and 10 guests