California Bar Prep Course: Which is best?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
tstyler98

Re: California Bar Prep Course: Which is best?

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:57 pm

sfhaze wrote:
wislaw13 wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:First off, just so that it's out there, I'm a Kaplan rep.

Second, Kaplan has a price match guarantee (they'll beat any price by $100). So, talk to the head rep or district rep at your school from Kaplan and tell them that you're thinking about going with Themis and their course is X amount. Then ask them if they can price match it. If they won't, PM me and I can hook you up with our rep here to see about getting you squared away.

I appreciate your candor. Does Kaplan offer a re-take guarantee like Barbri and Themis? I'm also not sure that we have any reps at our school because I attend in the only state that still have diploma privilege. This sounds like a good deal, though.

Yes it does according to the rep at my school. And a money back guarantee too if you fail. But there are conditions. It'd be great if tstyler98 or another Kaplan rep would clarify the conditions here in real terms.

Sorry I just saw your post. Kaplan does offer a guarantee: If you don't pass, you can either take the course again for free or get your money back. According to their website (http://www.kaptest.com/Bar-Exam/Bar-Rev ... =guarantee), the conditions are:

1) Must be a first-time bar exam taker
2) Must have received a JD from an ABA approved law school
3) Be enrolled in Kaplan's Complete course on or after 12/1/08
4) Complete basic study requirements prior to taking the exam, which includes: attending class in person or online, completing daily homework, and taking all the required practice exams
5) Take the bar exam that immediately follows the course

Reps don't really have any insight into how the process of getting the guarantee works. But I do know someone who failed last year and they are taking the course again for free, so it is possible.

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 pm

tstyler98 wrote:But I do know someone who failed last year and they are taking the course again for free, so it is possible.

Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity and if you know, why is this retaker using Kaplan again? I'd think most people who fail would seek a refund and switch co's, regardless of the co they used first. At least as an initial reaction.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

For California alone, I have heard good things about Fleming's Fundamentals of Law. http://www.lawprepare.com But if I were to tackle the California Bar myself I'd probably go with http://www.baroutlines.com and save several thousand dollars. It wouldn't be my first Bar exam so I wouldn't be in a panic about it.

Note though that I've never used either service.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”