Bar Prep: Live Lecture vs. Video vs. At-Home?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nimhnimh

Bar Prep: Live Lecture vs. Video vs. At-Home?

Postby nimhnimh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

My BarBri location only offers a video lecture. I'm a little disappointed because I would've liked an actual person teaching me the material. I can change my location to a different one that has a live lecturer. Those of you who have taken the bar, which did you prefer? I'm not sure I see a point in going to the location to watch a video when I can simply watch the video at home. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Bar Prep: Live Lecture vs. Video vs. At-Home?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:55 pm

I went to a location that had a live lecturer. There is extremely little difference between the live lecturer and the videos - it's all standardized materials and there's no discussion; you can ask questions during breaks, but you can't interrupt the lecture to ask questions. (You can also e-mail the lecturer with questions, whether you watch on video or live.) The live lecture is basically word for word the same lecture on the video.

Personally, I made the effort to go to class rather than watch videos at home because whenever I did watch videos at home, a 3 hour video would take me 5 hours because I'd keep pausing it, or doing something else and realizing I'd totally spaced the last 15 minutes and having to rewind. I also made the effort to get a seat in the live lecturer room (there were 4 rooms at my location, 1 with lecturer and 3 with live video feeds of the lecturer) because I felt a little more accountable and paid attention better with a live person at the front of the room, rather than a video screen.

But this is entirely about me and my own work ethic (or lack thereof). Lots and lots of people do great just watching the videos at home. Apart from making people like me a little more likely to pay attention, there's no real value added by staring at the live lecturer over the videos. And whether you'd rather watch the videos at a set time with other people in a classroom, or whenever you like at home, is also totally up to personal preference.

nimhnimh

Postby nimhnimh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I went to a location that had a live lecturer. There is extremely little difference between the live lecturer and the videos - it's all standardized materials and there's no discussion; you can ask questions during breaks, but you can't interrupt the lecture to ask questions. (You can also e-mail the lecturer with questions, whether you watch on video or live.) The live lecture is basically word for word the same lecture on the video.

Personally, I made the effort to go to class rather than watch videos at home because whenever I did watch videos at home, a 3 hour video would take me 5 hours because I'd keep pausing it, or doing something else and realizing I'd totally spaced the last 15 minutes and having to rewind. I also made the effort to get a seat in the live lecturer room (there were 4 rooms at my location, 1 with lecturer and 3 with live video feeds of the lecturer) because I felt a little more accountable and paid attention better with a live person at the front of the room, rather than a video screen.

But this is entirely about me and my own work ethic (or lack thereof). Lots and lots of people do great just watching the videos at home. Apart from making people like me a little more likely to pay attention, there's no real value added by staring at the live lecturer over the videos. And whether you'd rather watch the videos at a set time with other people in a classroom, or whenever you like at home, is also totally up to personal preference.

Thank you so much for taking time to write that response!

nimhnimh

Postby nimhnimh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I went to a location that had a live lecturer. There is extremely little difference between the live lecturer and the videos - it's all standardized materials and there's no discussion; you can ask questions during breaks, but you can't interrupt the lecture to ask questions. (You can also e-mail the lecturer with questions, whether you watch on video or live.) The live lecture is basically word for word the same lecture on the video.

Thank you so much for taking time to write that response!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”