Stick with Law or go back into sales? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whuts4lunch

Bronze

Stick with Law or go back into sales?

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 am

T25 law student at the bottom of the class. Was in sales before law school and had some success. Will graduate with very minimal debt.

Should I see if I can work at a small firm after law school, or should I go back into sales?

DildaMan

Bronze

Re: Stick with Law or go back into sales?

Post by DildaMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:10 am

What was the salary for sales?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 am

Sales isn't salaried. it would be commission. It is hard to say exactly what I would make. I was a decently high level performer in sales before law school (60-80k first year), but the particular industry I was in (mortgages) has become a regulatory nightmare. I'd likely start in insurance where you begin in the low to mid 5 figures and typically rise into 6 figures in a few years. There is definitely something to be said about how much a flat salary makes month to month and year to year financial planning much less stressful.

A lot is a question as to whether my struggles in law school are indicative of struggle as an attorney. I also wonder whether there is an area of law that would suit someone who is a strong salesperson but not a great law school exam taker. I am thinking about seeing if I can try lobbying for a non profit for a bit on a volunteer basis and see whether it is a good fit for me.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

bump

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Don't marry a doctor if you go back into sales. George Costanza would laugh at you.

GEORGE: (Laughs slightly) A physician married to a salesman. (Chuckles) Well, I gotta tell you, Beth, you coulda done a lot better than him.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

I'd stick law school out. If you like sales then maybe think about doing that after law school for a while and developing a practice on your own after your admitted to the bar. I don't know if this plan is credited or full proof, but maybe if you could get in contact with a judge who could refer you some pro bono. I read a blog about a guy a while back who went solo right out and he used a judge to get some work. If you start for free I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad way to network, get experience, and start to develop your career if you can't find anything.

Then you could think about starting your own firm. From what I understand stuff like dui's, pi, and other small law type things are more about being business savy and being able to bring in clients. You are great at sales from what it sounds like so you might have the personality to pull it off. I'm only a 1L and if someone thinks this is a bad idea, or has better input by all means ignore my advice. Just from reading around on this forum though I don't think your grades in law school are the end all be all of being able to be a successful lawyer. You should definitely look into trial and settlement stuff. Pretty sure your sales skills will be highly transferable. Also, by guerilla tactics for getting the legal job of your dream. There's some good stuff in there about how to hustle into the job you want with bad grades. Of course if you just want to make money sales might be better. However, if your getting a law degree for cheap you never know how it might help you down the road even if you decide just to do sales.

HTH good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”