BarBri - pay for whole course, or just buy the books?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UK_Law

BarBri - pay for whole course, or just buy the books?

Postby UK_Law » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Whole BarBri course costs $3200. Or, I can buy the books (used) for about $300, and then buy the Kaplan Q-bank if needed to supplement it (another $300). That's a huge price difference.

So the question is, how much will I learn from just the books? Do the courses (the lectures, etc.) really add much in terms of substantive knowledge, or are they just good for keeping you on track?

I.P. Daly

Re: BarBri - pay for whole course, or just buy the books?

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

If you choose the self-study route, you may want to look into this:
http://baroutlines.com/

I have not used baroutlines, but I've heard good things from people who used it to study for a second jurisdiction after passing their first bar exam.

XxSpyKEx

Re: BarBri - pay for whole course, or just buy the books?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:21 am

UK_Law wrote:Whole BarBri course costs $3200. Or, I can buy the books (used) for about $300, and then buy the Kaplan Q-bank if needed to supplement it (another $300). That's a huge price difference.

So the question is, how much will I learn from just the books? Do the courses (the lectures, etc.) really add much in terms of substantive knowledge, or are they just good for keeping you on track?

The courses are a complete waste of time. If you go with barbri, either get the lecture outlines from someone else who filled them out (and took good notes in the courses where side notes are useful- e.g. con law) or buy them off ebay. The Kaplan outlines might be better than barbri's though (the barbri outlines are pretty terrible). Definitely don't pay for barbri's course.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”