Cross-X: How quickly do you go to the admonish?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Revamped

Cross-X: How quickly do you go to the admonish?

Postby Revamped » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 am

Trial competition question:

I've gotten an array of opinions from professors regarding how fast I should go to the judge during cross examination of a weaselly witness who won't answer simple yes/no Qs.

Competition judged by attorneys.

Revamped

Re: Cross-X: How quickly do you go to the admonish?

Postby Revamped » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 am

I think I might be in the wrong forum section by mistake. Can a mod move me? I'd appreciate it.

Mount Elbrus

Re: Cross-X: How quickly do you go to the admonish?

Postby Mount Elbrus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

I never did a mock competition, but I have done a number of trials, both bench and with panels. What are you trying to get out of this witness? You can go on the offensive pretty early on and typically control a witness. What I will typically do if someone answers in the way you are describing is follow up with "That's a yes, then" or "That's a no, then" You should be leading the hell out of witnesses on cross exam and they should only be giving yes/no answers.

Don't rely on the judge to do your job. Unless the witness is flat out refusing to answer the question, you should be able to control him/her.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”