Kentucky - bar review

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
UK_Law

Kentucky - bar review

Postby UK_Law » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 am

Anyone have any recommendations on which course to take? BarBri, Kaplan, self-study, any others?

BarBri is 3200, Kaplan 1895 for now. Is BarBri worth the extra money? What are other UK, UofL, etc. students doing?

Thanks in advance....

XxSpyKEx

Re: Kentucky - bar review

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am

UK_Law wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on which course to take? BarBri, Kaplan, self-study, any others?

BarBri is 3200, Kaplan 1895 for now. Is BarBri worth the extra money? What are other UK, UofL, etc. students doing?

Thanks in advance....

No. But I also wouldn't pay 1895 for Kaplan... Unless you just have a large pile of money sitting around and can't think of anything better do it with it.

UK_Law

Postby UK_Law » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:No. But I also wouldn't pay 1895 for Kaplan... Unless you just have a large pile of money sitting around and can't think of anything better do it with it.

Thanks. A few questions for you:

1. Are you from KY, or is this just general advice?
2. Have you taken the bar yet?
3. What did you do, self, study?

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Is there someone at your school that is designated with assisting students with bar prep questions? They may have a general idea of pass rates by bar prep company v. self-study for students are your school.

I know people who failed doing everything required by BarBri, and people that passed by reading baroutlines, listening to Sum and Substance lectures, and doing essays/MBE questions at the beach. It's really a personal decision. However, from info I gathered when deciding how to study for the bar, pass rates are generally higher for students that use a prep company.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 am

UK_Law wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:No. But I also wouldn't pay 1895 for Kaplan... Unless you just have a large pile of money sitting around and can't think of anything better do it with it.

Thanks. A few questions for you:

1. Are you from KY, or is this just general advice?
2. Have you taken the bar yet?
3. What did you do, self, study?

1. Just general advice.
2. Yes. Actually, I just got done taking my second bar exam today 8)
3. For my first bar I did barbri. It was a complete waste of money. The lectures are pre-recorded, and it's hard to study for the bar using that crap because it's so insanely boring. For my second bar, I just bought some used barbri materials off ebay for a little under a couple hundred bucks. So I basically got everything that barbri gives you with the course except the terrible videos. But, in lieu of the videos, I got a filled in copy of the lecture notes. The lecture notes are the single useful thing in barbri (assuming you can get a filled in copy) because most of the lecture notes cover almost everything that actually shows up on the bar exam but in a less bullshit fashion than the large outlines (which have every single rule under the sun about each topical area and multiple examples for each rule,) and the miniconviser (which is just really hard to read because it's endless pages of rules with nothing else and half the rules in it there's a 1% chance of getting on the bar exam and then there's a ton of stuff that actually does show up but isn't in the miniconviser). The lecture notes are legit though because they focus on things that actually have shown up on past bar exams and cut out all the bullshit (and often times will tell you the likelihood of certain things showing up). Get the MBE and Essay workbooks too, if you're the type of person that learns by practicing (I had them but never opened them for either of the exams I took - I personally don't find them very useful or necessary, but a lot of people do).

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:45 pm

For what it's worth, BarBri has been offering relatively large discounts to registered students because they are losing their asses to Themis. BarBri had a meeting on campus here last month and gave everyone who showed up for an $850 "scholarship."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”