Can I get at least a LLM

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gatorbull84

Can I get at least a LLM

Postby Gatorbull84 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I have been all over these forums for the past two years and now I have a new issue. This past summer I was in Tax Law and I was offered a great opportunity in a industry that is very competitive to get into. Well I took the job because A) I was scared about the job opportunities following law school and B) this job was a great opportunity that I have been pursuing for years. Well I left law school after completing my first year and one additional class (tax law). I left in good standing and the school has offered me the chance to return if I want to (which I don't).

My question has do with the fact that I left school with 34 hours and now feel like I have nothing to show for it. I have a engineering degree and a masters but law school put me in some serious debt (even though I was on scholarship) and I want something to show for it.

I plan on calling the school and seeing if I can at least get a LLM for the courses I completed. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how should I go about requesting it?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Can I get at least a LLM

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Generally, there's a difference between an LLM and a Master's in law. I've seen schools offer the latter for a one-year program that doesn't require a JD, but I don't think you can get an LLM without earning JD - even international students who do an LLM here have the equivalent of a JD from their home countries. (And if the school doesn't have a Master's in Law, I'd be really surprised if they offered you one, but I suppose it can't hurt to ask.)

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 am

No way you are getting an LLM, which requires a JD and then X credits in a concentration the school offers for its LLM program(s). Perhaps you can get a Masters? You would have to check your school for requirements.

GreatNorth87

Postby GreatNorth87 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

There is a zero percent chance you will get an LLM out of it, as explained above. It is unlikely a law school would give you an M.S.L. or master of studies in law, especially in this economic climate that has left many law schools fighting for applicants and struggling to keep seats filled. They be put in a position where they might have to retroactively give MSLs to others who left after 1L year and they would be condoning attrition by rewarding it with a degree. Even if they do give it you, an employer is going to ask you what the hell an MSL is and why they have never heard of X university offering such a degree. You could just make a section on your resume that lists courses taken and include the 1L classes, or just the Tax I class.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Going back to law school to "have something to show for" making it 1/3 sounds like a terrible idea.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”