Law Review & Secondary Journal

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Law Review & Secondary Journal

Postby target » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 am

Redamon1 wrote:Yeah, it's nice to have a reality check. Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I just wonder at what point you can give up on the rat race while still being OK. But that's a bigger existential question I guess...

you can give up the rat race when you die. for now, keep at it.

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 am

kalvano wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Unless you're at a highly ranked school, suck it up, buttercup.

Can you say more? I'm at T10, on secondary journal already and debating whether to do the law review write-on competition. Seems to be all about the preffstige. I.e. I don't think there's anything I would learn on LR that I wouldn't learn on my secondary journal (which is pretty demanding BTW). One view I've heard is that unless you want to do academia, at the end of the day LR is not really a deciding factor for employers -- all other things being equal.

No one cares about what you learn. It's about the prestige level. If you're at Yale or Harvard, the prestige of the school is enough for a lot of people.

I can't speak to how it works at your school, but why would you turn down any opportunity to differentiate yourself unless you already have a job lined up post-grad? LR is shitty work. Everyone knows it. But having it on your resume is generally a really good thing.

In other words, of course it's all about the prestige. Why are you at a T10 instead of a TTT? Same reason: a more prestigious school gives you more and better opportunities than a less prestigious one.

Suck it up, buttercup.

What about EIC for a secondary journal? I guess you wouldn't have that to show on your resume by OCI (since, at my journal at least, you need to be a 3L for EIC), but maybe it's more or less equivalent to LR in the longer term? At least on the secondary journal, you're with people that share your interests and who, while they work hard, take themselves a bit less seriously. Seems to fit me better.

Postby Geist13 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:At my law school, you can't just grade on to law review -- it's a mixed grades/write-on score combo. For the secondary journal it's all based on the write-on score. I REALLY don't want to do law review or my school's secondary journal, but I still can't seem to justify not doing the write-on. Call it law school guilt or whatever you want to call it.

I'm pretty put off by the personalities of all the law review types at my school, but the journal guys and gals don't seem so bad. That said, I can't imagine paying dues for an unpaid part-time job which basically consists of X-treme bluebooking (maybe that's not what journal staffs actually do, but that's the image I have). My grades are alright (inside top 20%, ~18%), but my worst grade was in LRW. I really hate the nitpickery of even normal citations in regular writing assignments (REALLY, I can't italicize the damn comma?)

I also have the option to continue working for pay at a small firm in the vicinity through my 2L school year, and doing law review would either make that impossible or really limited.

In short, help me justify not doing the write-on. Am I really setting myself back if I don't do a journal?

just do law review. its the worst thing ever. but there are some benefits that make it worth it.

Also, I can guarantee you that the law review types that you hate only make up a portion of the staff and board. There's a whole contingent of law review members that you don't know about and have never seen before because they are never at the school and avoid other law reviewers (and other law students) like the plague.

Postby marmot8 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Last edited by marmot8 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm 3 years out of law school and starting to believe that law review doesn't really matter. I didn't do the write-on competition at my T10 school because my 1L job was overseas, and I wanted to spend those last few days between finals and leaving the country enjoying time with my husband. I did a secondary journal and didn't do ed board as a 3L. I did, however, get really good grades, and I have yet to feel that not doing law review or not doing ed board on my secondary journal is holding me back. I got the same job at a top law firm as several of my classmates who were on law review (and at least one other who wasn't). I'm trying to break into academia and had what I consider to be a really good result with the program I got into for this coming fall. I think law firm employers care about (in this order) 1. grades, 2. what school you went to, 3. that you are a person they would want to work with, and 4. that you ideally have some sort of academically-oriented law school extracurricular (so, basically, journal, or moot court, though I'm sure something else could fit the bill).

Postby ineptimusprime » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 pm

I take it most of you didn't have to write-on to your secondary journals?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I take it most of you didn't have to write-on to your secondary journals?

At my school, secondary journals had a cite-on competition during 2nd semester 1L, and then if you wanted to try to LR, you had to do a write-on immediately after finals. For the write-on, you could rank the secondaries as your second and third choices. (I mean, you could rank one as first choice if you wanted, but there was no reason to do write-on if you knew you wanted a secondary...). So you didn't have to write-on to a secondary, but some people did get a secondary journal through writing-on.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 am

ineptimusprime wrote:I take it most of you didn't have to write-on to your secondary journals?

Most UT journals require you do the write-on. (Write-on is the same for all journals, including law review, and done around a week after spring 1L finals.)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”