Wedding during fall of 1L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
iShotFirst

Re: Wedding during fall of 1L?

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

As someone that is married, I would agree with most of the responses here that you shouldn't get married at that time... especially if you are already living together etc, it just doesnt make any sense. The point above about both of you being greatly affected by your performance in the 1st year is the winning argument IMO - you need to be a team with the goal of you getting the best grades possible in your first year-and a wedding can only hurt that goal, not help it.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

I was planning for a late honeymoon during finals time my 1L year, turned out OK (well grades could be better but they don't matter that much after you have an offer :) ) I got married the summer before 1L and didn't have time for a honeymoon because I worked full time until winter break of 1L. It did end up being calls to europe etc to reserve stuff while I should have been studying but whats the point of doing all this, working all that time to make money if your not going to enjoy yourself. Missing 1 week in the middle of 1L is not going to be impossible to recover from. I will say that having a baby during OCI could have been timed better but hey, life throws some monkey wrenches in your best laid plans sometimes. Roll with the punches and enjoy yourselves!

izy223

Postby izy223 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

BizOwner wrote:
izy223 wrote:
BizOwner wrote:
from someone with experience i pushed off my wedding till the end of my 1L year (getting married in june) your an idiot. First off the spouse should want you to push off the wedding. Second, when your married and have this intimate relationship, is the intimacy gonna pay your debt and for your house, or maybe the statistical chart.

Take it from someone with experience DO NOT GET MARRIED DURING YOUR 1L YEAR. I am engaged now and even just being engaged is a commitment that is taking up my time. I wouldnt even know how to handle if was about to get married (like more the 5 months away)

"From someone with experience"? You aren't even married. Immature jackass responses such as yours are so commonplace among law student/attorney hopefuls that its hardly worth the time dissecting your ideas. I may be the idiot, but I went to law school on a full ride and will graduate with no debt. By the way, did I mention I continued a very profitable business while getting married, performing judicial and attorney internships, and attending school full time. If you can't manage a simple law school schedule, all the while prioritizing your personal relationships and responsibilities, what makes you think you can do that once you start practicing law? It doesn't get less stressful than what you have now.

Bizowner im so happy you took the time to tell me your illustrious career. I'm proud of you I truly am, when I grow up I want to be you, please help me do this. Oh wait never mind I just went through your posts and realized your full scholarship is to an instate school. Go to a real school with actual competition and then ill humor your delusional ideas.

Interesting you mentioned having "actual competition" at my school. I will only respond with your previous post concerning your outlook on actual competition when choosing a law school.

izz223:
"...I cant speak for the other t-14s but the lack/lax competition at NYU has really taken the pressure off. That + the fact that 20% of your class will not be competing for you for jobs bec they believe in doi..."

or this one:
"...i love the lighter workload and more chilled atmosphere"[/quote]

i was talking about the quality of students (that they are nice) and that the work load 3 classes not 4 is chilled.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the students are much starter at my t6 then your TTT. Had I gone to a state school for free i probably couldve rocked top ten percent with less work too.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

How come nobody in this thread can quote properly?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 pm

"How come nobody in this thread can quote properly?"

Yeah, that's
what

really bothered me.

I hate reading the same posts over and over again because I don't realize they're quotes.

Is BizOwner a dingbat alt?
Is BizOwner a dingbat alt?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Anyway, I second getting married during spring break or even right after spring semester finals end. Then you can wed, go on the honey moon immediately, and then start your summer internship.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Jessuf wrote:Anyway, I second getting married during spring break or even right after spring semester finals end. Then you can wed, go on the honey moon immediately, and then start your summer internship.

to sum it up: while its your choice-it would be strongly recommended not to get married fall semester 1L

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 pm

izy223 wrote:That has nothing to do with the fact that the students are much starter at my t6 then your TTT. Had I gone to a state school for free i probably couldve rocked top ten percent with less work too.

Just stop. It's quite obvious that my statements about my accomplishments and lack of debt service triggered your insecurities about your own situation (i.e. family member having to take out a second mortgage on their home to provide you with a 3% interest on your overpriced undervalued education). This in turn motivated you to search my previous posts, from who knows how many years ago, to find something that may classify me as inferior to you in order to boost your self worth.

If you're at NYU, good for you. That means you must have done well on the LSAT. How I'm not sure since you can't distinguish between a logical argument and an ad hominem response. Now stop highjacking the OP's thread.

And yes, my quoting sucks.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

BizOwner wrote:
izy223 wrote:That has nothing to do with the fact that the students are much starter at my t6 then your TTT. Had I gone to a state school for free i probably couldve rocked top ten percent with less work too.

Just stop. It's quite obvious that my statements about my accomplishments and lack of debt service triggered your insecurities about your own situation (i.e. family member having to take out a second mortgage on their home to provide you with a 3% interest on your overpriced undervalued education). This in turn motivated you to search my previous posts, from who knows how many years ago, to find something that may classify me as inferior to you in order to boost your self worth.

If you're at NYU, good for you. That means you must have done well on the LSAT. How I'm not sure since you can't distinguish between a logical argument and an ad hominem response. Now stop highjacking the OP's thread.

And yes, my quoting sucks.

your points suck too.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 pm

northwood wrote:actuallly, i know someone who got married during fall 1L. they went to the courthouse, with just them and their families- got married, and then went out to dinner.( only close family members knew- and a small group of 1L'ers, no outside family or other friends, and they blocked all l.s. friends from fb for a while to be safe). they are planning another ceremony in a church for august.

Yeah, it really depends on the wedding. I could probably have had my wedding during 1L, because my wedding was NBD. But if you're going to have a big one with flowers and shit, and lots of things you personally have to plan and people you have to meet with, I would wait till 2L. 1L has a hugely disproportionate effect on the rest of your life. Don't complicate it if you don't have to.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”