Random question: Groh v. Ramirez

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GBPbb

Random question: Groh v. Ramirez

Postby GBPbb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:45 pm

In Groh v. Ramirez (Crim Pro case), Does anyone know how much in damages Groh had to pay to the Ramirez family??

Im trying to find it, but cant find it anywhere.

EDIT:
It has to be public record, right?

GertrudePerkins

Re: Random question: Groh v. Ramirez

Postby GertrudePerkins » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 pm

I poked around the docket on Bloomberg Law. Looks like the case settled on the eve of trial, on Nov. 22, 2006. The USAO's Notice of Settlement says that "the parties have reached a settlement of all claims in this case" and that "the settlement will be paid by the federal government," but doesn't offer any more detail than that. No dollar figure in that document, nor in Ramirez's stipulation of dismissal, nor in the court's order dismissing the case.

It does seem like that figure should be publicly available somehow, but it does not seem to be contained in any of the filings. Maybe you could FOIA it, but that seems like a lot of work.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 pm

Not sure when the settlement took place, but confidentiality clauses are basically the rule for any settlements nowadays. It doesn't have to be public record AFAIK.

By the way Gertrude, that was really nice of you to go to all that trouble. You had a much better idea of where to look than I would have.

GBPbb

Postby GBPbb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 pm

MinEMorris wrote:Not sure when the settlement took place, but confidentiality clauses are basically the rule for any settlements nowadays. It doesn't have to be public record AFAIK.

By the way Gertrude, that was really nice of you to go to all that trouble. You had a much better idea of where to look than I would have.

Agreed... Thanks Gertrude.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”