How To Maintain Class Rank

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HiiPower2015

How To Maintain Class Rank

Postby HiiPower2015 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 am

I go to a TTT and somehow did really well on my first semester, and got the top ranking in my class. That being said, I honestly feel like many people in my class didn't do very much exam prep at all and were not prepared for taking a law school exam and just studied the law and their notes too much. I think after the first set of exams they will know how to do much better. I was wondering if anybody who did well first semester had any tips on how to maintain their rank and GPA? I think doing what I did last semester won't be enough since all the students know what law school exams look like. Also, my school doesn't have any sort of exam bank or anything so if I wanna do more than the one old practice exam my professors give me, I'd have to find them online. My plan for the beginning of the semester has been to do all my reading for the week on the weekend then dedicate one day a week, I'm taking 5 classes, to a specific class and outline and do E&E and other hypos. Does anyone else have any advice and know where I can get practice exams? Also since we haven't learned enough to write an essay answer on the new material, should I do practice exams from last semester's topics just to practice on my exam writing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

stillwater

Re: How To Maintain Class Rank

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:49 am

do the same thing

HiiPower2015

Postby HiiPower2015 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I have heard from most of my professors to expect the curve to increase quite a bit second semester, so i'm afraid that if i stay where im at doing the same things I wont stay on top of the curve like I have. I want to do stuff to make sure I can stay on top

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:10 pm

The best advice anyone can give about the curve is that you shouldn't worry about it, you can't change it. Some people with awful grades will get their head in the game and do a lot better, a lot of people will ok grades will get complacent.

You did well, congratulations. Everyone will get better this semester, so to keep your relative position do some of the self-critique that the people on the other end of the curve are doing. Be more efficient and effective. The worst thing you could do is get complacent.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I was in the same position. It's tough, you did well so you can't easily identify a weakness. Meanwhile, everyone else will have something to improve upon. I don't know what the answer is - if you're number one now, it's likely you won't be forever. I'm not saying that to be a downer, but it's just the reality of it - if you're number one, you have no where to go but down.

For me, I kept on keeping on, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and still wound up in the top of the class (though didn't finish as number 1). Try and identify a weakness and improve on it - for me, it was running through more practice exams and sample multiple choice problems (I bought supplements recommended by the professor, as I hadn't really run through practice exams my first semester). But other than that, I just did what I did the first time, and it basically worked out.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 pm

stillwater wrote:do the same thing

Are you a 1L? This is awful advice.

OP, your classmates will be getting better so you need to make improvements as well. Review your study habits from last semester, see what helped you on your exams and what was a waste of time. Since you did so well you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and you clearly have an aptitude for it so your efforts should focus on how to maximize efficiency.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:20 pm

ClubberLang wrote:

OP, your classmates will be getting better so you need to make improvements as well. Review your study habits from last semester, see what helped you on your exams and what was a waste of time. Since you did so well you don't have to reinvent the wheel, and you clearly have an aptitude for it so your efforts should focus on how to maximize efficiency.

I am. I don't know why you'd refine what you did other than make it more efficient. I think there is greater danger in trying to do anything more. Your classmates won't get that much better. Some will appropriately refine their work, others will adopt an equally or more ineffective strategy. The efficiency part goes without saying but to adopt some new strategy is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:27 pm

stillwater wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

I am. I don't know why you'd refine what you did other than make it more efficient. I think there is greater danger in trying to do anything more. Your classmates won't get that much better. Some will appropriately refine their work, others will adopt an equally or more ineffective strategy. The efficiency part goes without saying but to adopt some new strategy is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

Do the same thing everyone else does: figure out what you can do better, then take the appropriate steps to do it. Go meet with your professors to go over your exams, ask them what made yours stand out and what could have been done better. Think about what parts of your process worked well for you last semester and which parts were ineffective or superfluous, and adjust accordingly. Even if you're top of your class, you still didn't come anywhere close to 'acing' your exams. Everyone has room for improvement, just make sure that you improve just as much as everyone else will.

ClubberLang

Postby ClubberLang » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 pm

stillwater wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

Yes they will but you don't know that yet. No offense or anything, but I don't see how someone n their second semester of law school is qualified to dispense advice about staying on top.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
stillwater wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

Yes they will but you don't know that yet. No offense or anything, but I don't see how someone n their second semester of law school is qualified to dispense advice about staying on top.

I defer to your infinite wisdom.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Most people I know didn't do much more 2nd semester (in fact I think most of my friends and I were less motivated for spring finals than fall finals).

If you've already figured it out (and I'm assuming being #1 in your class means that you have), you really just need to keep doing what you're doing. The main thing is not to slack. Yes, most of your classmates will be getting at least a little bit better, but most of your classmates are nowhere near your level and won't ever get there.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:13 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
stillwater wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

2L here. I did the same thing. In fact, I did a lot less. Less practice tests, less supplements, more relaxing. Stayed on top.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”