Harvard Law School Magna Cum Laude

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DoubleChecks

Re: Harvard Law School Magna Cum Laude

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm

klankenburger wrote:DoubleChecks, where does the 3.95 figure come from? Just an educated guess? The highest I've seen not make it so far is a 3.93 (at least this was one second-hand report here) Any other info?

No real reason. Recall hearing someone mention that during my 3L yr, but nothing to back it up. That being said, 3.96 is so hard to say, even if we had full information of all prior years, it might not help you too much. Your year could be a bit tougher and bam be 3.97. Unless it's historically always been pretty much the exact same number, and that number is like 3.95, I don't know how you'd know for certain :S Sorry.

But your experience will indeed be a very useful data point haha, so go for the DS! :P jk

klankenburger

Postby klankenburger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll just cross my fingers!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:06 am

ph14 wrote:
klankenburger wrote:Yeah, I averaged all three years together, so unless I somehow messed up, the 3.96 should be accurate. Could to know the 3.98/3.99 made it at least. Anyway, thanks for your input. I really don't like how opaque they are about it, but I guess I understand the point.

Good luck to you. I would like to think that 3.96 would get you magna, since I wonder how close to 4 it can be, but that's just sheer speculation. I would be curious to hear the official cut off as well.

You also have to take into account how relatively "generous" the HLS grading scale is. There are a ton of smart people which counteracts the effect, and grades are of course somewhat random, but someone who is at the 70% percentile of every class will get straight H's, and a 4.0. You do not need to ace everything and beat out the entire class every time to get a 4.0.

breakfastsandwich

Postby breakfastsandwich » Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 am

Now that Latin honors are out, any insight into what the cut-off for magna is?

ryan1888vandy

Postby ryan1888vandy » Fri May 23, 2014 3:15 pm

breakfastsandwich wrote:Now that Latin honors are out, any insight into what the cut-off for magna is?

3.97 was Magna. Not sure where the cut-off is.

dm21998

Postby dm21998 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:14 am

Really interesting that 3.97 made the cut for magna. I would have thought that it would be higher for sure, like at least 4.05. Especially since I know people who didn't make magna but still landed pretty grade-competitive feeder clerkships. I guess it's always possible that they stopped trying after they landed those clerkships, but seems like a waste to let go of a potential SCOTUS clerkship opportunity like that.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 pm

dm21998 wrote:Really interesting that 3.97 made the cut for magna. I would have thought that it would be higher for sure, like at least 4.05. Especially since I know people who didn't make magna but still landed pretty grade-competitive feeder clerkships. I guess it's always possible that they stopped trying after they landed those clerkships, but seems like a waste to let go of a potential SCOTUS clerkship opportunity like that.

Actually, from this thread and other anecdotal evidence, I think magna cutoff has traditionally been around 3.96-3.97. I do know of cases in prior years where 3.97 GPAs got it, and I THINK 3.96 as well (thinking back haha). I'm also sure it varies yr to yr, but magna is more that range.

If I had a 3.96 (I didn't), I would think I'm on the bubble for magna, in any given year.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”