Bar Exam + World Cup Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PatentLawFTW

New

Bar Exam + World Cup

Post by PatentLawFTW » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I also am currently in the midst of trying to figure out how to attend the World Cup and still pass the bar at the end of July 2014. I am thinking I will likely leave for 10 days in June. I don't really want to study in Brazil b/c I think it will be highly difficult and a waste of a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Can I start studying before I graduate to mitigate the damage from the ~10days off? Any other strategies to help me deal with the study cost of leaving the country?

Thanks!

I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: Bar Exam + World Cup

Post by I.P. Daly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 pm

I know people who have been in similar situations and were successful on the bar. They were pretty stressed out though. Also, will jet lag factor in once you return? There's a lot of free stuff available if you want to start reviewing bar topics.

Kaplan offers a free MBE flashcard app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/kaplan-mbe ... 83693?mt=8

Many states publish past exams and model/best answers. You can start to review them to become familiar with the material.

If possible, at the very least, you could bring your MBE MC book with you to Brazil and do 20-30 questions each morning.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

PatentLawFTW wrote:I also am currently in the midst of trying to figure out how to attend the World Cup and still pass the bar at the end of July 2014. I am thinking I will likely leave for 10 days in June. I don't really want to study in Brazil b/c I think it will be highly difficult and a waste of a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Can I start studying before I graduate to mitigate the damage from the ~10days off? Any other strategies to help me deal with the study cost of leaving the country?

Thanks!
I know Kaplan makes the material available sometime in April, so you could start early (a few weeks before graduation) to stay on track.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 pm

PatentLawFTW wrote: a waste of a once in a lifetime opportunity.
It's every four years. There will probably be around 15 more in your lifetime.

TheGreatFish

New

Post by TheGreatFish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 am

Honestly, 10 days is hardly anything. I highly doubt those 10 days will make or break you on the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 am

I was debating the same thing as you. My husband is Brazilian, and since I was in Germany for the World Cup, I was super stoked to go. But honestly, after I visited Brazil in December, I changed my mind and decided against it, especially since I may be taking the California bar. Brazil is behind the US in terms of infrastructure, despite all the positive things you hear. A lot of time will be wasted trying to get around, since I think Brazil won't be able to handle the crowds (it was a mess getting around Rio just for the holidays). Also, there's a good chance your hotel won't have great Internet. They are also predicting power outages in Brazil next year given shortages in hydro power, and with the high electricity demands due to tourists, who knows whether that will affect you (I experienced two power outages in December). Not to mention, there's a good chance you'll be exhausted from everything.

Anyways, don't mean to sound discouraging. But I just thought I would share my thought process, as I was wanting to do the same thing. If it's your dream, go for it. I would just plan ahead for these things.

P.S. Whoops... I missed the part where you said you weren't going to study down there. If that's the case, then you know these things.

_crystal_m

New

Post by _crystal_m » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13 pm

World Cup>bar exam. Nah.

bcsum00

New

Post by bcsum00 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:56 am

PatentLawFTW wrote: I am thinking I will likely leave for 10 days in June.
I was thinking of going to Brazil as well. I am taking the Maryland bar to opt into DC. World Cup begins on June 12th and ends on July 13th. The 2013 Maryland bar is July 30th and 31st.

I would have to think that if you studied from graduation till mid June. Took 10 days off. Returned and had almost a month of studying left, you would be fine.

At least that is what I am telling myself...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Shouldn't be an issue. Try to go as early in June as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PatentLawFTW

New

Post by PatentLawFTW » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks all! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy to do this (as the law school would have me believe). If anyone out there wants to swap planning tips, feel free to PM me. I am only as far as looking at visa requirements and match dates.

Also, I think it is important to note that this truly is once in a lifetime because the WC is in Brazil-one of the greatest soccer countries on earth. Also, in four more years there is a very high chance I will be saddled with a job and possibly young kids.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Sort of similar question....my friend asked me to be her maid of honor but her wedding is three days before the NYC bar. If I spend a day going to the wedding and then have two more days before the bar, is that an issue? I think I might be super stressed because I am not studying, but how much would missing the day of studying a few days before the bar matter?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 pm

I hate to say don't go to your friend's wedding, but 3 days before the bar, I was such a basket case, there was no way I could have gone to a wedding and been at all social. I passed handily and I'm sure I would have passed if I'd gone to a wedding 3 days before, and I'm sure I didn't need to stress as much as I did, but it's really hard to avoid the panic. At least, that was the case for me, even though I'm not someone who usually gets worked up about such things. (Like, I would not have had any problem going out 3 days before the LSAT or 3 days before a final exam - I just found that the bar really fucked with my head.)

So, I don't think missing one day would sink you - yes, I ended up studying right up till the night before (past when they say you should stop studying), but I doubt one day would make much difference. But unfortunately, I personally wouldn't have even enjoyed myself. Of course, being MOH is quite a commitment - I don't know if that would make it better (easier to take your mind off the exam) or worse (more stressful because it requires more of your mental energy). Kind of depends on how you handle such stuff, I guess.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 am

The last few days before the bar exam are extremely panicked for most people. I would hesitate to attend, based on my own experience and those of my friends in that time frame, but you could make it work if you absolutely had to, especially if it was "just" the wedding (i.e. no travel).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am

somewhatwayward wrote:Sort of similar question....my friend asked me to be her maid of honor but her wedding is three days before the NYC bar. If I spend a day going to the wedding and then have two more days before the bar, is that an issue? I think I might be super stressed because I am not studying, but how much would missing the day of studying a few days before the bar matter?
I think one day is fine. IME I did about four hours of studying the last two days before the bar, too burned out to really cram before the exam.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 am

timbs4339 wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:Sort of similar question....my friend asked me to be her maid of honor but her wedding is three days before the NYC bar. If I spend a day going to the wedding and then have two more days before the bar, is that an issue? I think I might be super stressed because I am not studying, but how much would missing the day of studying a few days before the bar matter?
I think one day is fine. IME I did about four hours of studying the last two days before the bar, too burned out to really cram before the exam.
Maid of Honor is going to have responsibilities the day before the wedding, though, too. Rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, etc. etc, which would be the 4th and 3rd days prior to the bar. It's a really tough call.

redgreenpaper

New

Post by redgreenpaper » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm

OutCold wrote:
PatentLawFTW wrote: a waste of a once in a lifetime opportunity.
It's every four years. There will probably be around 15 more in your lifetime.
That's being wayyyy too optimistic. what if OP dies sooner?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 pm

5ky wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Maid of Honor is going to have responsibilities the day before the wedding, though, too. Rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, etc. etc, which would be the 4th and 3rd days prior to the bar. It's a really tough call.
If you're using a bar prep company, the final two weeks(ish) of bar prep is mainly just review and practice (essays, MC questions, flash cards, etc.). As long as you don't go too crazy and risk a massive hangover, the wedding could actually provide a much needed mental health break.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”