Anyone else considering Medical School after this?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SouthernSoul

Re: Anyone else considering Medical School after this?

Postby SouthernSoul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
SouthernSoul wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:I really don't know much what he does, something about running hospitals, but this family friend of my aunt's got both his law degree and medical degree. They met him in the Cayman's on vacation. The guy lives in PA with a house that has like 12 bathrooms, and he has a sick vacation condo in the Cayman's, basically hes balling. This is obviously anecdotal and idk what the usual career trajectory is for people getting both degrees.

Maybe he got into healthcare administration and is a for-profit health system CEO, JD/MD is a combination that could possibly land you a career as a hospital or hospital system CEO/COO/President/VP. A high level hospital administrator can make anywhere from $150K-$500K a year at a not-for-profit hospital to several millions if you're an admin for a for-profit health system, especially in the corporate office because of bonuses and stock options that come with for-profit systems.

Healthcare administration is actually a good alternative for someone who wants to be in healthcare for the $$$, but doesn't want to be a physician, physicians assistant, or go to school for more than two years. Just make sure you go to a top MHA program.

So you'd suggest getting a doctor of health care admin instead?

Naw, I'd just suggesting getting into a top Masters of Healthcare Administration program. Actually, a great combination would be a nursing degree AND an MHA. Clinical experience is increasingly being favored in healthcare administration. But that's probably too much... I'd just suggest someone with a JD go get an MHA and work for the corporate office of a large for-profit health system.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:21 pm

SouthernSoul wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
SouthernSoul wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:I really don't know much what he does, something about running hospitals, but this family friend of my aunt's got both his law degree and medical degree. They met him in the Cayman's on vacation. The guy lives in PA with a house that has like 12 bathrooms, and he has a sick vacation condo in the Cayman's, basically hes balling. This is obviously anecdotal and idk what the usual career trajectory is for people getting both degrees.

Maybe he got into healthcare administration and is a for-profit health system CEO, JD/MD is a combination that could possibly land you a career as a hospital or hospital system CEO/COO/President/VP. A high level hospital administrator can make anywhere from $150K-$500K a year at a not-for-profit hospital to several millions if you're an admin for a for-profit health system, especially in the corporate office because of bonuses and stock options that come with for-profit systems.

Healthcare administration is actually a good alternative for someone who wants to be in healthcare for the $$$, but doesn't want to be a physician, physicians assistant, or go to school for more than two years. Just make sure you go to a top MHA program.

Naw, I'd just suggesting getting into a top Masters of Healthcare Administration program. Actually, a great combination would be a nursing degree AND an MHA. Clinical experience is increasingly being favored in healthcare administration. But that's probably too much... I'd just suggest someone with a JD go get an MHA and work for the corporate office of a large for-profit health system.

Hubris won't let me be a nurse. I could be an MD, but nurse would feel like an MD going to paralegal school..................................kind of get an icky feeling just thinking about it.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:23 pm

you should get in on Florida Space Coast College of the Law's fabled trilogy degree: JD/MBA/MD!!!!!!!!!

i know i am, LOL

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:54 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
SouthernSoul wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
SouthernSoul wrote:

Hubris won't let me be a nurse. I could be an MD, but nurse would feel like an MD going to paralegal school..................................kind of get an icky feeling just thinking about it.

lol

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:59 pm

The OP clearly has major issues and should seek help.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm

stillwater wrote:you should get in on Florida Space Coast College of the Law's fabled trilogy degree: JD/MBA/MD!!!!!!!!!

i know i am, LOL

I am tempted to see if that is a real thing.

Even if it is, I am in my last term of the JD. Too late for anything joint to it.

..........damn scifi nerds.......................
Last edited by thelawdoctor on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:The OP clearly has major issues and should seek help.

Hubris is an incurable and infinitely escalating condition.

There is no cure.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 am

thelawdoctor wrote:

There is no cure.

What exactly have you accomplished in your life that makes you so superior to everyone else? If you say graduating law school, I think I'll die laughing.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

There is no cure.

What exactly have you accomplished in your life that makes you so superior to everyone else? If you say graduating law school, I think I'll die laughing.

wtf are you talking about?

reread posts, get answer.

Clue: Desire to do is not thing done.

(he types knowing other side can not understand)

Kabootar

Postby Kabootar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Yes, I would be interested in pursuing an md or an mph after law school.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Kabootar wrote:Yes, I would be interested in pursuing an md or an mph after law school.

Are you currently enrolled? If not, you looking into joints?

Kabootar

Postby Kabootar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Kabootar wrote:Yes, I would be interested in pursuing an md or an mph after law school.

No, I am not currently enrolled, I will be in August.

Joint Programs: Yeah I'm looking at joint programs. However, the fact that many of these programs require leaving law school after the first year to do a few years of medical school kinda scares me. I don't want to do some insane back and forth thing. So I'm not looking at joint programs that intently. JD/MPH programs are interesting though, so I (so far) have my eye on northeastern. I am also looking at programs where I can apply after my first semester at their law schools (since I want to really experience law schools before pursuing other areas on top of it and I don't want to turn into some bat shit crazy woman with no life). I am also looking at going to a law school where the university system also has mph schools/ medical schools. That way if I really do want to pursue these degrees afterwards (or during) I can potentially work on some collaborative/inter-disciplinary studies between the two schools.

To be quite honest, I have no interest in becoming rich or whatever. I am truly interested in medicine, biology (neuroscience), politics, and law. Nerd-tastic.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Kabootar wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

Joint Programs: Yeah I'm looking at joint programs. However, the fact that many of these programs require leaving law school after the first year to do a few years of medical school kinda scares me. I don't want to do some insane back and forth thing. So I'm not looking at joint programs that intently. JD/MPH programs are interesting though, so I (so far) have my eye on northeastern. I am also looking at programs where I can apply after my first semester at their law schools (since I want to really experience law schools before pursuing other areas on top of it and I don't want to turn into some bat shit crazy woman with no life). I am also looking at going to a law school where the university system also has mph schools/ medical schools. That way if I really do want to pursue these degrees afterwards (or during) I can potentially work on some collaborative/inter-disciplinary studies between the two schools.

To be quite honest, I have no interest in becoming rich or whatever. I am truly interested in medicine, biology (neuroscience), politics, and law. Nerd-tastic.

refreshing to hear someone else think that way :D

Kabootar

Postby Kabootar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Kabootar wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:

refreshing to hear someone else think that way :D

I'm glad I am not the only one. Carve your own path! :)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm

^ Northeastern isn't a good choice. If you have to get an mph and want to be in Boston, go for Harvard. They have a 1 year mph program if you already have a grad degree (and the JD counts, even if you didn't get it at Harvard).

erouting

Postby erouting » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I was thinking about going for an MD/JD. Everyone else makes good points re: 7-9 year opportunity cost.

The docs I spoke to told me I'd be a fool to go into medicine. Many of them wish they hadn't.

In anticipation of med school I took the pre-med courses (concurrent with law school). Then I asked around. Now I'm walking away from that career path without even sitting for the MCAT.

https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/abinazir/ ... ased-rant/

The blog isn't as interesting as the comments following it.

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 am

Those guys are just comparing themselves to the previous generation, which is unrealistic for our generation. Almost every field is going to get worse for kids going to school today. I have read a lot of rants and its funny a lot of them say that they wish they went into law or finance, citing 160,000 starting salaries. The fact that they are even comparing average Med School outcomes to the top .01% of law should be telling. The grass is always greener.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 am

thomas7669 wrote:The grass is always greener.

OP - hustle and get a JD job. To me, if you were that committed to spending 5+ years on a complete career shift because you knew it was right for you, you wouldn't be asking about it on a message board. You have a valuable professional degree that a lot of time and money went into - at the very least give your best shot to try to find fulfillment and happiness with your current resources. If in 5 years you are convinced that medicine is your passion, then we can talk about the MD. Just my two cents..

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:12 pm

thomas7669 wrote:Those guys are just comparing themselves to the previous generation, which is unrealistic for our generation. Almost every field is going to get worse for kids going to school today. I have read a lot of rants and its funny a lot of them say that they wish they went into law or finance, citing 160,000 starting salaries. The fact that they are even comparing average Med School outcomes to the top .01% of law should be telling. The grass is always greener.

Isn't that the exact same thing people do as lawyers too?

thomas7669

Postby thomas7669 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:31 am

thelawdoctor wrote:
thomas7669 wrote:Those guys are just comparing themselves to the previous generation, which is unrealistic for our generation. Almost every field is going to get worse for kids going to school today. I have read a lot of rants and its funny a lot of them say that they wish they went into law or finance, citing 160,000 starting salaries. The fact that they are even comparing average Med School outcomes to the top .01% of law should be telling. The grass is always greener.

Isn't that the exact same thing people do as lawyers too?

Not really. If you graduate a US medical school , you are virtually guaranteed a residency spot as a doctor. If you complete that residency you have life long employment as long as you dont screw up.

If you graduate from law school you have about a 1/3 shot of getting a full time bar required real legal job. And there is absolutely no security at all. Even if you get biglaw most only last like 5 years and there is very little reliable data on what happens to them. There are all sorts of terrible anecdotes out there. There is probably a decades worth of backlogged attorneys all fighting and clawing for spots, many with good credentials.

Point being that in terms of the actual work performed both groups are probably suffering from grass is greener syndrome. In terms of job security and how much the degree is worth in financial terms, I dont think anything tops the MD.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

Maybe instead of debating which degree to get next you should just get a job.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Maybe instead of debating which degree to get next you should just get a job.

I ask if anyone else is considering medical school as well and people assuming it is a debate...............law school has ruined us all...............

:roll:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”