Is it douchey to link to your published note on Facebook?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ca$hmoney69

Re: Is it douchey to link to your published note on Facebook?

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Posting your note on Facebook would clearly win you the biggest douche in the universe (BDIU) award. hands down.

Borg

Postby Borg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah, seems a bit douchey, but also sort of incomprehensible. I've never understood the legal academy's obsession with having published notes. I have gone through almost all of law school now, and still don't give a flying fuck about a single law review article I've ever looked at and have absolutely no desire to publish one myself. What exactly is so satisfying or great about it?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Post on Facebook and then, in your next note, use the Facebook URL to cite yourself.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Borg wrote: What exactly is so satisfying or great about it?

The part I find satisfying is that you actually get to examine a legal doctrine in-depth: go in deep about the policy reasons why the law is the way it is or why it should be different. This means citing from other fields that actually do real research, such as economics, psychology, sociology, etc. It's also a more complex analysis than just applying legal rules to facts--it requires critical thinking and problem-solving.

The rest of law school--churning through the case method, creating an outline, and then regurgitating it during a 3-hour typing race--is really superficial analysis that doesn't teach you much other than to spot legal analogies. Which is important in the long run, but which most people have figured out by the end of 1L, and it gets excruciatingly boring after.

To each his own, I guess, but I prefer reading good law review articles to cases. With that said, there's a ton of garbage legal scholarship out there, too.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

JCougar wrote:
Borg wrote: What exactly is so satisfying or great about it?

The part I find satisfying is that you actually get to examine a legal doctrine in-depth: go in deep about the policy reasons why the law is the way it is or why it should be different.

you didn't call it a "deep dive." you're never going to make it as a law professor.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Post on Facebook and then, in your next note, use the Facebook URL to cite yourself.

The trolling on this site is 180.

I honestly expected more disagreement on this. But the point has been duly slammed home.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 pm

JCougar wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Post on Facebook and then, in your next note, use the Facebook URL to cite yourself.

I honestly expected more disagreement on this. But the point has been duly slammed home.

/thread

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 pm

JCougar wrote:

I think you should post it. It's a significant achievement and you should be proud.

With that said: Not too many people will read the paper. It's going to be far too boring for 97% of the people on your friends list. Posting the paper is essentially the same thing as posting, "Hey! I got published in X journal!"

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Did the note get published somewhere other than your own law review?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Did the note get published somewhere other than your own law review?

At CLS, it is harder to get published in your own law review (if yours is one that has a note requirement) than to get some journal to publish it. My journal had ~50 notes and they picked six of them. Meanwhile if you use your school's expresso account to send your note (recharacterized as an "article") to all the journals in the country, it is pretty likely to get picked up if it is in decent shape. About half my friends are published now, not in their journals but in other random ones. /taking this thread too srsly

OP.....just LOL. I do know a kid who is the quintessential gunner. I am gunnerish (can't help it, it's in my blood, but don't hate - I'm the one who answers the questions when no one else has done the reading, which saves you from being called on) but this kid takes it to a whole new level. He put a link to his note as his gchat status for like six months. All I can tell you is if he does it, you don't want to do it.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

kapital98 wrote:I think you should post it. It's a significant achievement and you should be proud.

With that said: Not too many people will read the paper. It's going to be far too boring for 97% of the people on your friends list. Posting the paper is essentially the same thing as posting, "Hey! I got published in X journal!"

I agree, I really don't think very many people will read it, if at all. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I just feel like some people I know would be interested. At most, I think it will make a decent writing sample.

I have a bunch of PhD student friends, and whenever they publish anything, formal or informal, they usually post a link to it. Then people comment on it. It never seems like a big deal.

Law students--especially those on TLS--tend to be really hyper-sensitive about anything competition or achievement related, but it's inconsistent. Like, it's totally cool to post your LSAT scores on here or where you go to school. Some people spend hours talking about their PRACTICE test scores. But if you say anything else about any other accomplishment in your life, it's like "you are a douche."

I mean, I've already made my decision...I'm not going to link to it. But it's interesting to see these responses.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I do think, though, that TLS is a bubble that doesn't really operate according to real-world rules...

I liked the earlier suggestion that you create a filter to block your law school friends and then post it to the rest (I get your thing about the PhD-student friends). I did this when I got a job - I knew there were people who would want to know but I wanted to avoid the law student competition/achievement thing (see above where I said people didn't even post their summer jobs - my school was very big on not talking about such things).

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:51 pm

To be clear, I don't think it's really that douchey or about competition. I just don't think people want to read your note. If you think they do, feel free to post it or email them.

And posting your LSAT score anonymously on TLS is not the same as bragging about it on Facebook.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:At CLS, it is harder to get published in your own law review (if yours is one that has a note requirement) than to get some journal to publish it. My journal had ~50 notes and they picked six of them. Meanwhile if you use your school's expresso account to send your note (recharacterized as an "article") to all the journals in the country, it is pretty likely to get picked up if it is in decent shape. About half my friends are published now, not in their journals but in other random ones. /taking this thread too srsly

OP.....just LOL. I do know a kid who is the quintessential gunner. I am gunnerish (can't help it, it's in my blood, but don't hate - I'm the one who answers the questions when no one else has done the reading, which saves you from being called on) but this kid takes it to a whole new level. He put a link to his note as his gchat status for like six months. All I can tell you is if he does it, you don't want to do it.

That's good news, because I'm in the middle of another article right now. I was going to send it out via expresso to all journals that accept student articles. Given the mediocre quality of faculty articles we receive for our own publication, I was thinking I have at least a decent shot at getting published again, but I had no idea how student-submitted articles were treated by other journals.

As for Ludavigo's question, the note is being published in my own journal, but we publish at most 4 out of about 30 submitted. I'm not really trying to troll for praise here or anything. I don't think it's that big of a deal...especially because the only thing that really matters is getting a good job and liking your career. I was just wondering how it would come off to other law students.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Dany wrote:And posting your LSAT score anonymously on TLS is not the same as bragging about it on Facebook.

Agreed, but for a lot of people, the people you go to school with know your identity on TLS, so they know your LSAT score. I'm not saying I'm not guilty, either.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 pm

I'll never forget the day my group of friends' friend (now acquaintance - at best) posted the link to his note on Facebook. The gall, the audacity. He still sends us searching, imploring messages every now and again. They remain unanswered.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 pm

You should just post it here so I can lol at your "scholarship"

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 pm

just link us to your note already

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

JCougar wrote:Law students--especially those on TLS--tend to be really hyper-sensitive about anything competition or achievement related, but it's inconsistent. Like, it's totally cool to post your LSAT scores on here or where you go to school. Some people spend hours talking about their PRACTICE test scores. But if you say anything else about any other accomplishment in your life, it's like "you are a douche."

I've mentioned a few times on this site that my note is being published, but I don't mention it for the sake of mentioning it...I mention it because I am trying to explain something about my experience, and I believe the information is relevant. Likewise I just wrote another post that included my LSAT and undergrad GPA because I was trying to give advice to someone in a similar situation. But I wouldn't put a post on fb about my LSAT or GPA or my publication because it would serve no purpose other than appearing to others that I am bragging (whether that is my intention or not). You have been pretty vocal on this website about how ridiculous you think law school grades are and I bet if someone else asked about putting their grades n fb, you would give them the slapdown, so why is this any different?

BTW, be wary of kapital98's advice (go see his posts from a few years back about how classic economics shows that legal hiring is a-okay)

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 pm

JCougar wrote:
Dany wrote:And posting your LSAT score anonymously on TLS is not the same as bragging about it on Facebook.

Agreed, but for a lot of people, the people you go to school with know your identity on TLS, so they know your LSAT score. I'm not saying I'm not guilty, either.

Except that most people at LSAT score time don't dream that they'll still be on TLS in law school or that anyone will ever figure out who they are. I certainly didn't think I'd have 20k posts or that people would know who I was when I posted my LSAT score in the waiting thread.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm

I've been slowing publishing my note on facebook. I post one sentence as my status each hour.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 pm

If people really think you're a douche after you post one link to your note, chances are they already don't like you.

I think TLS overhypes how much people (including other law students) actually care about or pay attention to law student's business. There's always this weird notion that if you talk about anything LS related on social sites, people will remember you and think you're a douche. It seems like it would be harder and far more douchey to keep track of fellow douchebags based off of their facebook posts rather than to just not read the post and move on. I guess if someone was always doing it you might remember, but no one normal is going to remember you as the douche who posted his note that one time. You might get a few likes from random people like me who read the first few sentences of complex posts, let shit fly over my head, and give you a like to make it seem like I'm a deep ponderer of these things.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:10 am

To anyone who would be offended by this: get over it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

ndirish2010 wrote:To anyone who would be offended by this: get over it.

Who said this would be offensive?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

ndirish2010 wrote:To anyone who would be offended by this: get over it.

Thanks for the insight!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”