Bluebook rage

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muddup

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Right, you sure it's nto semi-colons right?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm

muddup wrote:Right, you sure it's nto semi-colons right?

Yes, you only use semi-colons to separate cites in a string cite.

muddup

Postby muddup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Great thanks.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Pokemon wrote:Speaking of Posner, I cannot help but be annoyed that an English major has become the father of law and economics. Not only that, but he had said that he does not like reading economics books if they have a lot of math.....

paul heyne hated the kind of economics that contains math. paul heyne is god. i stand with posner and heyne.

i also support the contention that the bluebook is shit pure shit.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
muddup wrote:Thanks for all the help and consolation thus far. Round 101:

How do I put a citation in the middle of the sentence, if I have two citations total? Does this look right?

"Every law student has to work hard," Bob, 34 U.S. at 129, "but not too long." Joe, 34 U.S. at 534.

Is that right? Or do I use semi-colons? Most importantly where is the freaking rule for this in the BB?

That's pretty much right. I fixed a few things. (That's assuming you've cited the cases previously, of course.) I have no idea where the rule is in the BB, but that's what I was taught, anyway.

Muddup, you actually need a comma instead of a period before the last citation because it is a citation clause (after long). Look at B2 on pages 4-5 and Rule 1.1 on page 53. So it should be "Every law student has to work hard," Bob, 34 U.S. at 129, "but not too long," Joe, 34 U.S. at 534.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”