Bluebook rage

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm

I've been looking through the BB to find the freaking rules for this and looking through 13.4 I just don't know how to put the thing together? Can anyone take pity on a poor 1L and help?

"In a discussion of the legislative history of the Video Privacy Protection Act of 1988, you cite to a 1988 report from the Senate Judiciary Committee. This report was the 599th report in the 100th Congress. You want to cite to information in part III(A) of the report."

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm

S. Rep. No. 100-599, pt. 3(A) (1988). :?:

Just my whack at it, and god knows I'm no expert.

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:S. Rep. No. 100-599, pt. 3(A) (1988). :?:

Just my whack at it, and god knows I'm no expert.


Ok thanks! Looks pretty good so I'll go with it =) thanks so much

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby Lawbro » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Are you doing the ICW's?

Pokemon
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby Pokemon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 am

The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby dood » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 am

Pokemon wrote:The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.


been done, that someone is posner:
--LinkRemoved--

TL;DR:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of ... -bluebook/

User avatar
Devlin
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby Devlin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 am

Lawbro wrote:Are you doing the ICW's?


God damn ICW

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby dood » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 am

side note - appendix 2 in posner's article (his rules for his clerks) is particularly useful in the real world. contrary to what they tell u, the bluebook is largely irrelevant after law school.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2397
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby nealric » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Seconded on the worthlessness of the Bluebook. It has become such a bloated mess that practitioners mostly ignore it (even more so for non-litigators).

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm

ph14 wrote:Bluebook logic: It's BYU L. Rev. but N.Y.U. L. Rev. :|.

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the sympathy guys/gals, I will return with more ICW suffering (4 more lessons to go!) and I appreciate y'all help!

Pokemon
Posts: 1863
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby Pokemon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:48 am

dood wrote:
Pokemon wrote:The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.


been done, that someone is posner:
--LinkRemoved--

TL;DR:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of ... -bluebook/


Speaking of Posner, I cannot help but be annoyed that an English major has become the father of law and economics. Not only that, but he had said that he does not like reading economics books if they have a lot of math.....

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Why.....I can't figure this one out. My answer is all blue (i.e. correct, which means i'm missing something)
------------------------
6) You are researching Texas family law for an office memorandum. Your law office does not have any state materials, but you found the applicable provision, Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001, using LexisNexis. The screen in LexisNexis states that the text as it appears is current through the end of the 2009 Session.

Incorrect Citation: Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001 (LEXIS through 2009 Sess.).

Hints:
Parenthetical: Have you given publisher information? T1.3 Texas
Check general format, spelling, spacing, and punctuation.
---------------------------------------------
Why is my answer all blue T.T?

Edited..

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby ph14 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:59 pm

muddup wrote:Why.....I can't figure this one out. My answer is all blue (i.e. correct, which means i'm missing something)
------------------------
6) You are researching Texas family law for an office memorandum. Your law office does not have any state materials, but you found the applicable provision, Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001, using LexisNexis. The screen in LexisNexis states that the text as it appears is current through the end of the 2009 Session.

Incorrect Citation: Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001 (LEXIS through 2009 Sess.).

Hints:
Parenthetical: Have you given publisher information? T1.3 Texas
Check general format, spelling, spacing, and punctuation.
---------------------------------------------
Why is my answer all blue T.T?

Edited..


Do you have Tex. Fam. Code Ann. in small caps?

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 am

Ya I do, the trick is apparently "Parenthetical, Have you given publisher information? T1.3 Texas".

But I don't know wtf they are talking about. This is ridiculous...sigh

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 am

muddup wrote:Ya I do, the trick is apparently "Parenthetical, Have you given publisher information? T1.3 Texas".

But I don't know wtf they are talking about. This is ridiculous...sigh


Try, just for laughs, "(West 2009)"

Edit: Also try "(Lexis 2009)"
Last edited by ph14 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 am

Buy the online version. So worth it.

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 am

Haha XD that ain't gonna work.

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 am

WHAT THE FUK

Correct Citation: Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001 (West, LEXIS through 2009 Sess.).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am

dood wrote:
Pokemon wrote:The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.


been done, that someone is posner:
--LinkRemoved--

TL;DR:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of ... -bluebook/


Oh man that was a great read. Fuck the blue book.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby dingbat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am

Pokemon wrote:
dood wrote:
Pokemon wrote:The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.


been done, that someone is posner:
--LinkRemoved--

TL;DR:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of ... -bluebook/


Speaking of Posner, I cannot help but be annoyed that an English major has become the father of law and economics. Not only that, but he had said that he does not like reading economics books if they have a lot of math.....

Considering that he's actually read Keynes, whereas a plethora of economists haven't, I don't think it's that annoying

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 am

dingbat wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
dood wrote:
Pokemon wrote:The bluebook is a torture machine with no purpose. I cannot believe it is still around. Someone needs to write a law review article about the time losses/economic inefficiencies that thing causes.


been done, that someone is posner:
--LinkRemoved--

TL;DR:
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/quote-of ... -bluebook/


Speaking of Posner, I cannot help but be annoyed that an English major has become the father of law and economics. Not only that, but he had said that he does not like reading economics books if they have a lot of math.....

Considering that he's actually read Keynes, whereas a plethora of economists haven't, I don't think it's that annoying


Posner is the man

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:09 am

muddup wrote:WHAT THE FUK

Correct Citation: Tex. Fam. Code Ann. § 8.001 (West, LEXIS through 2009 Sess.).


Texas codes will always have West in the parenthetical, at least for law school purposes. No one gives a shit once you start practicing, you can just cite to the code and the year.

muddup
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby muddup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the help and consolation thus far. Round 101:

How do I put a citation in the middle of the sentence, if I have two citations total? Does this look right?

"Every law student has to work hard," Bob 34 U.S. 129, "but not too long." Joe 34 U.S. 534.

Is that right? Or do I use semi-colons? Most importantly where is the freaking rule for this in the BB?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22885
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Bluebook rage

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

muddup wrote:Thanks for all the help and consolation thus far. Round 101:

How do I put a citation in the middle of the sentence, if I have two citations total? Does this look right?

"Every law student has to work hard," Bob, 34 U.S. at 129, "but not too long." Joe, 34 U.S. at 534.

Is that right? Or do I use semi-colons? Most importantly where is the freaking rule for this in the BB?

That's pretty much right. I fixed a few things. (That's assuming you've cited the cases previously, of course.) I have no idea where the rule is in the BB, but that's what I was taught, anyway.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests