Barbri ...... why???

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawyerdown27

Re: Barbri ...... why???

Postby lawyerdown27 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Watched "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar" recently. Pretty enjoyable, actually. They intersperse the stories of 6-7 people studying for the California bar with examples of ridiculous bar exam essay prompts. Also, it shows something called a "People's College of Law," which I found quite amusing given the current state of the economy and the legal profession.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:14 pm

lawyerdown27 wrote:Watched "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar" recently. Pretty enjoyable, actually. They intersperse the stories of 6-7 people studying for the California bar with examples of ridiculous bar exam essay prompts. Also, it shows something called a "People's College of Law," which I found quite amusing given the current state of the economy and the legal profession.

There are a lot of unaccredited and Cal accredited law schools. Peoples College's only claim to fame is Villariagosa and that awesome TLS picture of the white trash dad with beer and baby posing in front of the school.

That old guy who took the bar 38 times or whatever just wants to be remembered as a martyr or something. They hired for him the best private bar tutor in LA and he didn't give enough of a shit to make an effort. No telling how much time and $$$ that old fart has wasted.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Mick Haller wrote:Peoples College's only claim to fame is Villariagosa and that awesome TLS picture of the white trash dad with beer and baby posing in front of the school.
In all fairness, that's a pretty awesome picture.

So is the consensus to just go with barbri if money is not an issue? Am I understanding correctly that, even if you do the barbri classroom course, they just show you the same videos you'd watch in the pure online version?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 pm

quiver wrote:So is the consensus to just go with barbri if money is not an issue? Am I understanding correctly that, even if you do the barbri classroom course, they just show you the same videos you'd watch in the pure online version?

It depends. Some locations offer live lecturers - I think usually the major market for the region? (The Manhattan schedule I linked to earlier had some live, some video.) My location had live lecturers (but it also had seating in 3-4 classrooms of space, and only one classroom had the live lecturer - the others were video feeds from the live classroom). However, if it is video, yes, it's the same video in the online version (they want to keep everything consistent).

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:14 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
quiver wrote:So is the consensus to just go with barbri if money is not an issue? Am I understanding correctly that, even if you do the barbri classroom course, they just show you the same videos you'd watch in the pure online version?

It depends. Some locations offer live lecturers - I think usually the major market for the region? (The Manhattan schedule I linked to earlier had some live, some video.) My location had live lecturers (but it also had seating in 3-4 classrooms of space, and only one classroom had the live lecturer - the others were video feeds from the live classroom). However, if it is video, yes, it's the same video in the online version (they want to keep everything consistent).

I think it is if it is a major city in the same jurisdiction for which the class is given. I.e. there were live lectures in Philly for the PA bar, but not for the CA bar.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:18 pm

run26.2 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think it is if it is a major city in the same jurisdiction for which the class is given. I.e. there were live lectures in Philly for the PA bar, but not for the CA bar.

Oh, of course, that makes sense. Thanks.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:24 pm

One aspect of watching videos at home on your computer is that you can pause the video if you need to stop and reflect on a topic, or you can play it at 1.5 speed. The disadvantage is some people have a tendency to spend way too much time on the videos.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 pm

run26.2 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

But keep in mind that only one of the class times will have live lectures (usually the crack of dawn early morning class), and even then, I believe some of the lectures are videos. IMO, I wouldn't waste my time, unless you live near where the lecture will be taking place (usually means living downtown, where rent is the highest) and you're a morning person. Personally, I didn't find the lectures very useful. The (completed) lecture handouts are good, but you can just get those from someone else.

quiver- some frustrations I had with barbri were:

(1) the quantity of materials they give you, even though it isn't necessary

(2) the fact that they give you one massive outline for the MBE and one massive outline for the state topics (most of this is entirely overkill and a gianourmous waste of time-- there are seriously 8 billion examples of every single rule, many of which are very unlikely to be tested, in the topic area). Then they give you a mini-conviser, which has nearly nothing besides BLL and not even all the BLL that you'll be tested on. I think an in between outline would be ideal, and I hear themis gives you precisely that (in lieu of a 50 lb box of books).

(3) the barbri "scare" tactics, which have you thinking you aren't doing enough and are going to fail, even though you really don't need to put in anywhere near the time they recommend to pass the bar. The scare tactics are really ridiculous, to be honest. For example, barbri gives you a ton of really difficult questions for the MBE, but the actual MBE only has some really difficult questions, but also a ton of much easier questions.

Overall, I'm not sure I would've taken barbri even if money were not an issue. The pro is that everyone takes it, but I think there must be a better bar prep method than barbri's.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:But keep in mind that only one of the class times will have live lectures (usually the crack of dawn early morning class), and even then, I believe some of the lectures are videos. IMO, I wouldn't waste my time, unless you live near where the lecture will be taking place (usually means living downtown, where rent is the highest) and you're a morning person. Personally, I didn't find the lectures very useful. The (completed) lecture handouts are good, but you can just get those from someone else.

(2) the fact that they give you one massive outline for the MBE and one massive outline for the state topics (most of this is entirely overkill and a gianourmous waste of time-- there are seriously 8 billion examples of every single rule, many of which are very unlikely to be tested, in the topic area). Then they give you a mini-conviser, which has nearly nothing besides BLL and not even all the BLL that you'll be tested on. I think an in between outline would be ideal, and I hear themis gives you precisely that (in lieu of a 50 lb box of books).

(3) the barbri "scare" tactics, which have you thinking you aren't doing enough and are going to fail, even though you really don't need to put in anywhere near the time they recommend to pass the bar. The scare tactics are really ridiculous, to be honest. For example, barbri gives you a ton of really difficult questions for the MBE, but the actual MBE only has some really difficult questions, but also a ton of much easier questions.

Overall, I'm not sure I would've taken barbri even if money were not an issue. The pro is that everyone takes it, but I think there must be a better bar prep method than barbri's.

Oh, yeah, the lectures don't work for everyone (although I don't know that I'd call 9 am the crack of dawn - for me it was way better to get them over with in the morning than kill my evening - I'd never have gone at 6 pm). You have to know yourself and whether going to a class is more likely to make you study or whether you're fine doing it at home on your own.

I also agree about the information overload - there's no way to keep up with the schedule they create - and the scare tactics. (Think about it - they terrify you that you're going to fail, and then when you don't, you're all grateful to Barbri!) If you can ignore those, though, there's plenty of material to prepare you. But there are doubtless cheaper options that work just as well.

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 am

I really don't want a greater volume of information to sift through than I need. It sounds as though they give you way too much to figure out in terms of what you need. Themis has a special right now where if you pay by Feb. 14th, it's only 1,245. You get the early start program and all the books right away. This is truly agony. I definitely don't need to go to a lecture site to get the work done each day, plus I have kids so the flexibility of online/my hours is very much in Themis' favor. I feel like I just have to pull the trigger and live with the choice!

Loved that movie BTW Saw it the summer before starting law school. I remember thinking how could anything be as bad as what they were portraying the bar to be .... and now I see how it's truly that bad!

And didn't the former mayor fail the bar five times or something, coming out of the People's College? That nice woman who went there did pass the following year as did the guy from Loyola who failed a couple of times but all his friends passed.

That guy who took it 42 times was ridiculous. Works as a social worker or something.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 am

If I were you, I'd go with Themis, and I'd buy a 2 or 3 year old copy of the BarBri conviser for peace of mind. I promise you'll be good to go; just work hard and you'll be fine.

Which state's bar are you taking again?

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 am

Thank you! I was thinking of getting the conviser from a friend who did Barbri two summers ago. I am taking California -- lucky me!

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 am

AMCD wrote:Thank you! I was thinking of getting the conviser from a friend who did Barbri two summers ago. I am taking California -- lucky me!

The conviser is pretty useful. It probably has at least 2/3 of the material you'll actually see on the bar exam. Know the conviser well and do a lot of MBE questions. Plus whatever else Themis wants you to do.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Barbri works, it's been proven repeatedly. That's why. Other things probably work too, but Barbri definitely works. This isn't a comment on value, just efficacy.

What are their passage rates? They won't tell us, I wonder why?

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:But keep in mind that only one of the class times will have live lectures (usually the crack of dawn early morning class), and even then, I believe some of the lectures are videos. IMO, I wouldn't waste my time, unless you live near where the lecture will be taking place (usually means living downtown, where rent is the highest) and you're a morning person. Personally, I didn't find the lectures very useful. The (completed) lecture handouts are good, but you can just get those from someone else.

Oh, yeah, the lectures don't work for everyone (although I don't know that I'd call 9 am the crack of dawn - for me it was way better to get them over with in the morning than kill my evening - I'd never have gone at 6 pm). You have to know yourself and whether going to a class is more likely to make you study or whether you're fine doing it at home on your own.

I also agree about the information overload - there's no way to keep up with the schedule they create - and the scare tactics. (Think about it - they terrify you that you're going to fail, and then when you don't, you're all grateful to Barbri!) If you can ignore those, though, there's plenty of material to prepare you. But there are doubtless cheaper options that work just as well.
Mick Haller wrote:If I were you, I'd go with Themis, and I'd buy a 2 or 3 year old copy of the BarBri conviser for peace of mind. I promise you'll be good to go; just work hard and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the posts! Part of me just wants to go thesealocust route and just get baroutlines.com for $100. But since my firm is paying anyway, my only concern is the quality of the materials/lectures. It sounds like barbri unnecessarily drowns you in material and I'm wondering if wading through everything actually takes more time than simply getting another bar prep course that gives you more concise outlines. What's TCR here for my situation (I'm taking the NY bar if that matters)?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:12 pm

quiver wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Mick Haller wrote:If I were you, I'd go with Themis, and I'd buy a 2 or 3 year old copy of the BarBri conviser for peace of mind. I promise you'll be good to go; just work hard and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the posts! Part of me just wants to go thesealocust route and just get baroutlines.com for $100. But since my firm is paying anyway, my only concern is the quality of the materials/lectures. It sounds like barbri unnecessarily drowns you in material and I'm wondering if wading through everything actually takes more time than simply getting another bar prep course that gives you more concise outlines. What's TCR here for my situation (I'm taking the NY bar if that matters)?

I dunno, I'm not sure I would have done barbri in hindsight (even if I didn't have to pay for it). It doesn't really matter that much though if you're not paying for it. It's a few weeks of your life, and as long as you do some reviewing for it and half a brain you'll pass regardless of which route you choose. The bar exam isn't very difficult, except, perhaps, some outlier jurisdictions, like Cali. (There's a lot of volume, but, honestly, if you paid attention in your 1L classes, you should be able to get a ton of the points on the multistate portions of the exam. Spend a couple weeks studying, and you'll slide by no prob.) Maybe throw a dart at a wall and use that decide what bar prep company you want? I doubt you'll find anyone on here who has taken the NY bar exam multiple times with multiple bar prep companies, which would allow him to tell you which one is the best. Even if you did find such a person, would you really trust someone who failed the bar exam to give you advice on the best method to pass the bar exam?

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Why would you pay $100 for bar outlines when your firm will pay for a course? I'm not following this logic...

Just pick a class and stop overthinking things. You can still buy those $100 outlines to supplement your course.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Mick Haller wrote:Why would you pay $100 for bar outlines when your firm will pay for a course? I'm not following this logic...

Just pick a class and stop overthinking things. You can still buy those $100 outlines to supplement your course.

Agreed. It is not that Barbri is bad. If anything, it is very good, there is just more material than most people can use.

It is not even that it is difficult to figure out what you need to study. You can use the class outlines they give you and you will be fine. Also, you can choose how many question sets and essays to do. This is not difficult at all to figure out.

Just understand going into it that you don't have to do everything to pass. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

quiver

Postby quiver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:Why would you pay $100 for bar outlines when your firm will pay for a course? I'm not following this logic...

Agreed. It is not that Barbri is bad. If anything, it is very good, there is just more material than most people can use.

It is not even that it is difficult to figure out what you need to study. You can use the class outlines they give you and you will be fine. Also, you can choose how many question sets and essays to do. This is not difficult at all to figure out.

Just understand going into it that you don't have to do everything to pass. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.
Alright, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help everyone!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Anyone have any advice for NC? There's no Themis here, so it'd basically be Kaplan or BarBri. Kaplan is $1k cheaper than BarBri here. I'm tempted to self study but I think I'll end up freaking out. My firm gives me a flat "graduation bonus" - so technically the price difference does make a difference.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:35 pm

quiver wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Your concerns are founded. Do baroutlines.com. It's enough.

BarBRI is bad. It's not worth $0. "But your firm will pay for it!11!!" isn't good logic. Plus, it's taxable income, so think about your very slight savings come tax time not having a few grand in bar related income to be taxed on.

Dolla bills yo 8)

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 am

As this hasn't turned into a bash Barbri thread (entirely - everyone thinks what they did is "the way")" let me add some advice from someone who did well in law school and found Barbri excellent, and who also didn't have to pay for it. If, just like law school, you study smarter, not harder, Barbri kicks fucking ass.

Yes, Barbri gives you more material than any person actually needs or could ever use - but that is intentional. If you pay attention to the lectures, someone will tell you that of course you don't "read" the huge outline book - it's a reference. You should have learned how to research in law school - the big book has every detail you could ever want. You ONLY crack it if you identify a weakness and need comprehensive review, or more likely, something you never learned in law school.

See, Barbri won't phrase it like this, but they are designed so that even the biggest dumbass in your class can pass the bar. They go slow - they go deliberate - they dumb it down, and believe it or not, that is GREAT. It seems so counter intuitive, but the bar exam actually tests GENERAL knowledge. So what you do, being the smart person that you are, is use your judgment about what is important, and what can be skipped.

So for me, knowing I have a knack for test taking (wish that ability had application outside of academia!!!), I skipped MBE Step 2.

Step 1 was ok - like an overview of it all, so that when you revisit the topic in-depth later on, you're familiar. Still, this didn't demand my full attention. Think like in high school, when you come back from summer vacation and you're taking AP chem - the teacher will review last year's Chem 1 & 2 classes, and you can snooze because you aced that shit.

Step 2 might have been useful, but again, I don't need extra practice on a multiple choice exam - I'm a natural at them, I don't need practice with the stress of the "real" exam, I need fucking substance. So I totally skipped this (although I did eventually take this practice exam towards the end, but just as a practice exam, nothing more. Still, valuable for that. See? Smarter, not harder.)

So, I did but dozed during Step 1, and flat skipped step 2, and as an added bonus, according to my Barbri schedule, I opened up like a week (or whatever it actually was) before I actually began studying hard. Not burning out is vital to the bar exam, and partying for an extra week was fun.

STEP 3 IS IT. Step 3 is the lectures followed by MBE practice questions. DO THEM ALL. THIS IS THE MONEY SHOT. IF THE PACE SEEMS SLOW - it did for me - watch the lectures at 1.5 speed. And Bonus - a 3 hour lecture lasts only 2 - now you have another hour for practice.

And perhaps the most important thing I can say - enter all your MBE practice problem answers into the website. They will give you a detailed analysis of what you did well on, and where you need improvement. Don't make the mistake of focusing on your strengths. The bar exam is general. The online MBE practice question analyzer is THE THInG that will earn you more points on the bar exam.. Take the analysis, then crack the convisor again, and if needed, dive into the big book. Then take more practice questions, and see if you've improved. If not, dig deeper. This is it - you should spend 95% of your effort in step 3 - the rest is hand-holding for dumbfucks who suck at tests.

Steps 4 & 5 - Do this whole thing too, but it's really just pulling together everything you should have nailed down in step 3. If you ID weakness here, treat like you would have in step 3.

Essay practice? I listened to all state specific topical lectures and reviewed the outlines, but I never actually practiced essays. I knew I could write a law school exam. If you feel the need for practice, you can have your answers graded by a Barbri person for help. I can't comment really, I didn't do this.

Now, last point, and for me this was critical. I took the Michigan bar. The Michigan bar is MBE and essay, each 50/50 of the total score (or something similar - I'm generalizing). The essays, to a large extent, tested on topics also tested on the MBE. There were state specific topics, sure, and Barbri helpfully provides a breakdown on the frequency topics are tested. That breakdown showed me the second most important thing Barbri told me about the Michigan Bar exam (your results may vary depending on the state) - don't spend any time trying to learn the nuance of any state specific topic. I focused on my MBE prep - and come exam time, lo and behold, I'd say 75% of my essays were on MBE topics. So I dominated them, because I nailed down my MBE subjects.

So, there is my experience. Yes, this was long, and your experience may vary, and if I seem, I don't know, immodest in any way - whatever. This is how I passed the bar, and it was informed by how I kicked law school's ass.

TL/DR - if something Barbri suggests you need to do smells like bullshit, skip it, you'll be ok as long as you are working hard leading up to the exam.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 am

You guys realize baroutlines.com is a full lecture course, right? With practice questions and outlines and stuff?

It's not like "lol rulez 4 the bar 'zam" written on a napkin or something.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 am

Barbri doesn't drown you in uneccesary material because Barbri doesn't tell or expect anyone to read it all. They flatly tell you this. If someone complains that it was very difficult wading through the big outline book, just smile and nod and back away and never take their advice on how to study for anything ever again.

Let's put this in TLS snark - sure, some Cooley students pass the bar, but that isn't reason to think that Harvard is too expensive to be worth it. You know what you don't hear here? You don't hear from the people who took Themis or baroutlines.com and failed, because of selection bias. Those people don't come here. And the people who took barbri and failed then took the course again for free and passed also don't speak up, because they are embarrassed they failed but are happy barbri let them take it all again for free.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Barbri doesn't drown you in uneccesary material because Barbri doesn't tell or expect anyone to read it all. They flatly tell you this. If someone complains that it was very difficult wading through the big outline book, just smile and nod and back away and never take their advice on how to study for anything ever again.

Let's put this in TLS snark - sure, some Cooley students pass the bar, but that isn't reason to think that Harvard is too expensive to be worth it. You know what you don't hear here? You don't hear from the people who took Themis or baroutlines.com and failed, because of selection bias. Those people don't come here. And the people who took barbri and failed then took the course again for free and passed also don't speak up, because they are embarrassed they failed but are happy barbri let them take it all again for free.

Okay, barbri rep.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”