Hating things suddenly/learning disability Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gahgahblacksheep

New

Hating things suddenly/learning disability

Post by gahgahblacksheep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 am

I loved law school. I got above average grades at a T14 school in my first two semesters. However, I got two B-s, so I am BARELY at "median" for my school. I think it's because of timing issues because I have a a learning disability and I don't take extra time (even though I used to until LS and I didn't take extra time on the LSAT.) I'm trying to get the ball rolling now to get extra time, but I still feel inadequate and sad. How do I motivate myself to get back to where I was? I used to feel like an above-average law student and felt like I "got" things in class better than most people, but on exams I just suck at performing. It's super depressing. I used to read supplements and did LEEWS and all that crap but now I just feel like giving up... How do i motivate myself? I still haven't done OCI yet, so I have one more semester till that happens..

Does anyone have these problems?

eerie_erie

Bronze

Re: Hating things suddenly/learning disability

Post by eerie_erie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:57 am

Hey, sorry to hear about your predicament. Everyone has bad moments from time to time. I encourage you to consider exploring counseling options and/or talking to your student dean. In the meantime, try to see if you can talk to people to form a plan of action. There's more to life than just getting good grades. There's a saying that really helps me in tough times: "Every day when we wake up, we are born again. What we do today matters the most."

gahgahblacksheep

New

Post by gahgahblacksheep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 pm

eerie_erie wrote:Hey, sorry to hear about your predicament. Everyone has bad moments from time to time. I encourage you to consider exploring counseling options and/or talking to your student dean. In the meantime, try to see if you can talk to people to form a plan of action. There's more to life than just getting good grades. There's a saying that really helps me in tough times: "Every day when we wake up, we are born again. What we do today matters the most."
Thank you. I drunkenly posted this (it's the only time I really come to terms with this situation) and I was expecting people to say mean things haha. I just feel like there's a lot of stigma to getting "help" in this profession, even in school. I didn't want to do this but I realized that law school exams are not like the real world. Just because I may need help on the exam doesn't mean that I will in practice.

If I do improve significantly next semester/am asked about the two low marks, should I be honest? I feel like I should probably just say I was nervous or had organization issues, right? I don't know how kindly a firm will look at that/if they will inquire into what the disability is, etc.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Law school is graded on a curve. You can't improve your own performance, you can just improve your performance relative to your peers. Try doing better than everyone else next time?

Maybe try knee-capping some of them, or a mass poisoning right before exams?

gahgahblacksheep

New

Post by gahgahblacksheep » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:Law school is graded on a curve. You can't improve your own performance, you can just improve your performance relative to your peers. Try doing better than everyone else next time?

Maybe try knee-capping some of them, or a mass poisoning right before exams?
Thank you. This is exactly the type of sensitivity I was expecting.

Really, though. No one out there has had to deal with this sort of issue? I find that hard to believe. I did a search and couldn't really find anything. Mostly just disability concerns re: the LSAT and application stuff.

If anyone out there has had to deal with a situation like this, I would really appreciate your advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”