help/ what would you do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zaz21

help/ what would you do?

Postby zaz21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 pm

I go to a t1 and i completed my first semester of law school in fall. The school's test taking software messed up halfway through and I was forced to wait an hour before I could start taking my exam again. IT staff were incompetent. They were unable to recover everything in the program, which i had written before the crash. what I had written had been saved and uploaded to the schools network. They printed out what i had written up until the crash in microsoft word, but because it was encrypted it came out in an almost unintelligible mess. I completed the rest of the exam.

I needed to make corrections to the first part of my test and the administration told me to come back the next day. They would send the first part of my exam to the software developer to be decrypted so I could read and comprehend what I had written. They told me I could make manual corrections with pen and paper in front of the administration. Afterwards, they would have a secretary retype my whole exam and make sure my professor received it none the wiser.

In any case, a week and a half before Xmas my grade is posted and it was a C. I was devastated no doubt as I have ascribed to the TLS method of study. This was my first assessment of my ability in law school. It ruined my family's Xmas as well because everyone was disappointed. I was contemplating alternative career paths. If you can put so much effort in something and that's all you can achieve--that's fine. I am okay with the truth.

I emailed the professor. He basically told me I had the worst exam in the class and he didn't have the heart to fail me so he gave me a C. I didn't receive my other grades until a little later, so I was judging myself for a while on this grade.

My initial reaction was that somehow he didn't receive my entire exam. First week of January school administration confirmed that the professor did in fact receive my entire exam and there would be no grade change.

Finally, the other day I worked up the courage to go see my exam. I wanted to sit down with the professor and try to figure out what I did wrong. The professor pulled out the exam and I saw it. It was not my entire exam. It was only 8 pages. We went to IT immediately and he asked IT to pull down the exam that they had for me. Same thing that the professor had. I asked them to check my computer, and they found the saved encrypted copy of the exam on my computer. Voila! It was the rest of my exam. The professor was shocked. He went and graded it immediately and I really merited an 'A'. Apparently, administration never uploaded/got him my full exam.

Now, with this grade I have jumped up in rankings but unfortunately I've been cheated out of possible OCIs because I knew I wouldn't qualify with a C grade. I've already applied to many jobs with this grade as well as well. I feel cheated.

I haven't even received an apology or an account of what happened from the school. I feel cheated considering I'm paying 99039032k a year. I know mistakes happen but I feel this was an egregious error. It would have been different if I were a 2L, a 3L, or even a second semester 1L. This was my first semester.

What would you do? Would you go talk to the school?

dingbat

Re: help/ what would you do?

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm

zaz21 wrote:What would you do?

be thrilled my C got turned into an A

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm

zaz21 wrote:I go to a t1 and i completed my first semester of law school in fall. The school's test taking software messed up halfway through and I was forced to wait an hour before I could start taking my exam again. IT staff were incompetent. They were unable to recover everything in the program, which i had written before the crash. what I had written had been saved and uploaded to the schools network. They printed out what i had written up until the crash in microsoft word, but because it was encrypted it came out in an almost unintelligible mess. I completed the rest of the exam.

I needed to make corrections to the first part of my test and the administration told me to come back the next day. They would send the first part of my exam to the software developer to be decrypted so I could read and comprehend what I had written. They told me I could make manual corrections with pen and paper in front of the administration. Afterwards, they would have a secretary retype my whole exam and make sure my professor received it none the wiser.

In any case, a week and a half before Xmas my grade is posted and it was a C. I was devastated no doubt as I have ascribed to the TLS method of study. This was my first assessment of my ability in law school. It ruined my family's Xmas as well because everyone was disappointed. I was contemplating alternative career paths. If you can put so much effort in something and that's all you can achieve--that's fine. I am okay with the truth.

I emailed the professor. He basically told me I had the worst exam in the class and he didn't have the heart to fail me so he gave me a C. I didn't receive my other grades until almost the end of January.

My initial reaction was that somehow he didn't receive my entire exam. First week of January school administration confirmed that the professor did in fact receive my entire exam and there would be no grade change.

Finally, the other day I worked up the courage to go see my exam. I wanted to sit down with the professor and try to figure out what I did wrong. The professor pulled out the exam and I saw it. It was not my entire exam. It was only 8 pages. We went to IT immediately and he asked IT to pull down the exam that they had for me. Same thing that the professor had. I asked them to check my computer, and they found the saved encrypted copy of the exam on my computer. Voila! It was the rest of my exam. The professor was shocked. He went and graded it immediately and I really merited an 'A'. Apparently, administration never uploaded/got him my full exam.

Now, with this grade I have jumped up in rankings but unfortunately I've been cheated out of possible OCIs because I knew I wouldn't qualify with a C grade. I've already applied to many jobs with this grade as well as well. I feel cheated.

I haven't even received an apology or an account of what happened from the school. I feel cheated considering I'm paying 99039032k a year. I know mistakes happen but I feel this was an egregious error. It would have been different if I were a 2L, a 3L, or even a second semester 1L. This was my first semester.

What would you do? Would you go talk to the school?

Honestly, this sucks, but look at the bright side. You got the grade you deserved in the end. What do you 1L summer matters little in the grand scheme of things. Sure a little extra cash in your pocket would be nice, but it's really hard to get a paying 1L job anyways and there is still a chance you can get one. Send out applications now and hope for the best. I feel for you, that must have been an emotional rollercoaster, but you really aren't in a bad position.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Hardly anyone gets a 1L SA. Don't worry about it. Be glad your grade was fixed.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 pm

zaz21 wrote:What would you do? Would you go talk to the school?

First thing I would do is make sure that I have a good laptop in working order for finals this semester. I honestly think the time for speaking with the school has passed, I don't know what they could possibly do for you. Before approaching anyone I would caution that you consider what it is that you would want from the school? Have you really been damaged? How badly? and can it be fixed?

Double down on summer apps. It's February, but you have the power to really churn out a bulk of apps. See where it takes you.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 pm

cinephile wrote:Hardly anyone gets a 1L SA. Don't worry about it. Be glad your grade was fixed.

^

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 am

yup....

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”