Etiquette for quitting a volunteering commitment?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stargazin

Etiquette for quitting a volunteering commitment?

Postby stargazin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm

So I agreed to work on a volunteer project at one the law school's clinics for this semester (not for academic credit though, just pure volunteering). The supervisor has trained me and shown me around, introduced me to the team, etc. I really like the project but I just heard back from a paying part time job that I applied to prior to accepting the volunteering job, and I really need the money. Don't think I could handle doing both and all my classes. I feel bad about quitting the volunteer job and don't want to upset the clinic supervisor, nor do I want to get a reputation as a flake at the law school this early on, but on the other hand I do really need the money.....what should I do?
Last edited by stargazin on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Re: Etiquette for quitting a volunteering commitment?

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 pm

In my experience, volunteer stints are not as strict in commitment as say an internship. Since you are volunteering with the law school, it probably won't matter unless you really wanted a letter of rec from this supervisor or join the actual clinic in the future. If you don't care about maintaining a relationship with these people, apologize and jump ship now. Better now than mid-way through the semester when you're walking a finer line with regards to commitment.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Good advice, thanks! Ugh this is hard...

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I would recommend being candid and polite. Just express that you were looking for opportunities to get practical experience while also earning a salary, and such an opportunity has presented itself. Wish them well, and if possible make yourself available to assist with the transition for your replacement.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for the good advice!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”