Trial Brief Research Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kidfromny
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

Trial Brief Research Question

Postby kidfromny » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Is there any way to find briefs that have been submitted to a federal court, without using the PACER system? If one was looking for an example of a trial brief, where would you suggest one look?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby dood » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm

kidfromny wrote:Is there any way to find briefs that have been submitted to a federal court, without using the PACER system? If one was looking for an example of a trial brief, where would you suggest one look?


westlaw? lol

kidfromny
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby kidfromny » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

How in westlaw? I'm talking an actual brief, like a sample of a brief

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

In Westlaw Next, you can sometimes find the briefs filed in a case. When you pull up a case, in the upper right hand corner of the screen, there is a tab that says "document" and another that says "filings." There may be others. Select the "filings" tab. On this tab, you will see a list of documents filed for the case. The briefs are often there. Sometimes they are also available in PDF format as well as the typical Westlaw Next screen format. Hope this helps.

Stevoman
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby Stevoman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

kidfromny wrote:How in westlaw? I'm talking an actual brief, like a sample of a brief

Image

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:11 pm

It usually omits some briefs. I've experienced this. Thank god I have a PACER account.

kidfromny
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby kidfromny » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm

3|ink wrote:It usually omits some briefs. I've experienced this. Thank god I have a PACER account.

We've been left completely out to dry by the prof. It's my understanding that most school's 1L second semester Writing class consists of only an Appellate Brief due later on in the semester? We have that as well as a trial brief due after just 2 classes.

TheGreatFish
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby TheGreatFish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Westlaw has a large database of filed court documents.

Go to the start page of WestlawNext. Look underneath the "All Content" tab of the Browse section. There should be a section called "trial court documents." Click on it, then select your state or district. It should take you to a page with the most recently filed documents for that district. At the top of the page just search for "trial brief." You should get a few examples, but you'll have to weed through the results because it's going to show anything that has the words "trial brief" in the title, including a lot of oppositions to trial briefs. After you select one, you can click on the PDF file at the top of the page to see a scan of the original document.

Trial briefs are usually fairly simple in form, so it shouldn't be that difficult to write one. They don't have most of the formatting requirements of an appellate brief.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Modify as necessary to change venue or focus on a particular type of motion.

"Brief in Support" is also used, but not as often.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Trial Brief Research Question

Postby dood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

kidfromny wrote:
3|ink wrote:It usually omits some briefs. I've experienced this. Thank god I have a PACER account.

We've been left completely out to dry by the prof. It's my understanding that most school's 1L second semester Writing class consists of only an Appellate Brief due later on in the semester? We have that as well as a trial brief due after just 2 classes.


u'll be glad later that he made u do this now.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests