(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Getting a grade changed?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

Usually, after grades have been released, it's *extremely* difficult to get a grade changed, and it will only happen if there was a clerical error (prof submitted a B, admin typed in a D by mistake) or mathematical error (prof erroneously subtracted one set of points twice). I'm not saying it's never going to happen, but it's really really tough (for one thing, because changing your grade may require recalculating the class curve, that kind of thing), and schools usually have fairly strict rules in place about it.

(There is someone on this site who is claiming to have got a boost more than once because he told profs he needed a higher grade *before* grades were released, but I remain unconvinced that what he thought his professors said to him was really what the professors thought they were saying to him. Though you never know, I guess.)

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Usually, after grades have been released, it's *extremely* difficult to get a grade changed, and it will only happen if there was a clerical error (prof submitted a B, admin typed in a D by mistake) or mathematical error (prof erroneously subtracted one set of points twice). I'm not saying it's never going to happen, but it's really really tough (for one thing, because changing your grade may require recalculating the class curve, that kind of thing), and schools usually have fairly strict rules in place about it.

(There is someone on this site who is claiming to have got a boost more than once because he told profs he needed a higher grade *before* grades were released, but I remain unconvinced that what he thought his professors said to him was really what the professors thought they were saying to him. Though you never know, I guess.)

Here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=203041

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Pretty sure that guy was a shit troll

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I did. B to B+. 3L class.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:I did. B to B+. 3L class.

What'd you do? Review your exam and just ask? Or did the prof notice she graded it wrongly?

They won't admit they graded wrongly. Most schools have a policy that says they can only change grades for calculation errors. But I think they do review the exam substance and if there is room in the curve, they will bump you up if they feel you deserve it.

I just wrote a nice email and asked if she would mind double checking for any errors, because I felt I did really well on the exam.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:I did. B to B+. 3L class.

What'd you do? Review your exam and just ask? Or did the prof notice she graded it wrongly?

They won't admit they graded wrongly. Most schools have a policy that says they can only change grades for calculation errors. But I think they do review the exam substance and if there is room in the curve, they will bump you up if they feel you deserve it.

I just wrote a nice email and asked if she would mind double checking for any errors, because I felt I did really well on the exam.

There's no such thing as a nice e-mail that questions the professor's judgment. You can dress it up anyway you want but she wasn't born yesterday and knows you want your grade changed. If you said you wanted to go over it so you could see what you did wrong, that's one thing but "do you mind double-checking for errors" is totally different.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 pm

this is what I wrote. Not sure if I struck the right tone, but I was studying for the bar and just wrote something quick:

Hi Prof. XXXXX,

I've just received my grade for the XXXXX course, and am extremely disappointed.

I know that you have a reputation as a tough grader, and that I did not contribute much in the way of class participation, but I felt like I nailed all of the major points on the essays. I also felt I did very well on the multiple choice. I actually felt like this was an easy exam compared to other courses in which I have faired poorly.

It's disappointing result, to have prepared so thoroughly, and to perform at a level I thought would have earned at least a B+. I know you are very busy, but is there any way you could help me understand my grade?

Thanks! Hope you are having a nice summer break.

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

waxecstatic wrote:There's no such thing as a nice e-mail that questions the professor's judgment. You can dress it up anyway you want but she wasn't born yesterday and knows you want your grade changed. If you said you wanted to go over it so you could see what you did wrong, that's one thing but "do you mind double-checking for errors" is totally different.

And yet, the results speak for themselves.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 pm

I emailed my Tax I professor about changing a mid term grade. I basically pointed how why his question was ambiguous and therefore my answer was correct.

He ignored me.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

rvadog wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:There's no such thing as a nice e-mail that questions the professor's judgment. You can dress it up anyway you want but she wasn't born yesterday and knows you want your grade changed. If you said you wanted to go over it so you could see what you did wrong, that's one thing but "do you mind double-checking for errors" is totally different.

And yet, the results speak for themselves.

The ends don't always justify the means. But give him props for successfully getting his grade changed.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I also e-mailed my Corporations prof once before. Two of the questions on the exam were virtually identical to a question I did on a practice exam in the Emanuel's book. I asked if I could go over the exam after getting a B and he ignored me as well.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, technically, saying "Can you help me understand my grade?" isn't the same as saying "There must be some mistake, can you check your grading?" You can read the former (and his message) as wanting to know what happened, and the prof could certainly have written back and said, "Happy to help. Here's the list of the points that you missed that people who got a B+ didn't miss." (I realize both messages are probably aiming for the same result, but how you present things makes a difference.)

AMCD

Postby AMCD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Found a FIFTEEN point miscalculation in my raw score, and two short sections that were not graded on a take home final. School stood beside the adjunct who "apologized" for the error in calculation but said "it makes no difference in the final grade", and then made up a reason why I "earned" no points for the parts he forgot to grade. They also told me 100 times how basically impossible it is to contest a grade. I have a job, so don't care, but if I didn't have a job I would have probably gone the whole contest route. Point is, there a a 100 ways they can defend a grade and in my case, there was a complete refusal to let me know the raw scores breakdown so I will never know. A total scam.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

AMCD wrote:Found a FIFTEEN point miscalculation in my raw score, and two short sections that were not graded on a take home final. School stood beside the adjunct who "apologized" for the error in calculation but said "it makes no difference in the final grade", and then made up a reason why I "earned" no points for the parts he forgot to grade. They also told me 100 times how basically impossible it is to contest a grade. I have a job, so don't care, but if I didn't have a job I would have probably gone the whole contest route. Point is, there a a 100 ways they can defend a grade and in my case, there was a complete refusal to let me know the raw scores breakdown so I will never know. A total scam.

Lol, my grades have been generally good except in one class where I did horrible. I went over the exam with the professor. He tells me that I should have talked about this & that. I mention to him and point out that I talked about it in this segment. His response, no joke: "yes, you are giving me a lot, but not in the order that I want them presented." Maybe he thought my exam was a case of verbal diarrhea (possibility), I have also thought that maybe he thought I copy-pasted things, but overall it was a disturbing experience hearing his answer match mine, yet getting no points for it. Literally, no checks, or +1s. I still like that professor and I think he is a good guy, but sometimes these things are just better let go. There have definitely been other exams where I have wondered how the hell I got an A with the crap I wrote, so in the end it balances out.

portaprokoss

Postby portaprokoss » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

I once showed a professor that three questions on his midterm exam were completely wrong: went against law, went against the casebook HE WROTE, went against the handouts he gave us, and went against historical fact. He said, "it won't make a difference in the end and I don't have time to start changing grades." Turns out those three points would have taken me from a B+ to an A-. Still pissed.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

3|ink wrote:I emailed my Tax I professor about changing a mid term grade. I basically pointed how why his question was ambiguous and therefore my answer was correct.

He ignored me.

:lol:

schweitziro

Postby schweitziro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 am

Pokemon wrote:
AMCD wrote:Found a FIFTEEN point miscalculation in my raw score, and two short sections that were not graded on a take home final. School stood beside the adjunct who "apologized" for the error in calculation but said "it makes no difference in the final grade", and then made up a reason why I "earned" no points for the parts he forgot to grade. They also told me 100 times how basically impossible it is to contest a grade. I have a job, so don't care, but if I didn't have a job I would have probably gone the whole contest route. Point is, there a a 100 ways they can defend a grade and in my case, there was a complete refusal to let me know the raw scores breakdown so I will never know. A total scam.

Lol, my grades have been generally good except in one class where I did horrible. I went over the exam with the professor. He tells me that I should have talked about this & that. I mention to him and point out that I talked about it in this segment. His response, no joke: "yes, you are giving me a lot, but not in the order that I want them presented." Maybe he thought my exam was a case of verbal diarrhea (possibility), I have also thought that maybe he thought I copy-pasted things, but overall it was a disturbing experience hearing his answer match mine, yet getting no points for it. Literally, no checks, or +1s. I still like that professor and I think he is a good guy, but sometimes these things are just better let go. There have definitely been other exams where I have wondered how the hell I got an A with the crap I wrote, so in the end it balances out.

Hai, me. All As & A-... 1 outlier, C+ in con law with 0 markings on the exam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”