WA State Constitution Blue Book Citation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
WAKidd304

WA State Constitution Blue Book Citation

Postby WAKidd304 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi,

I need to cite to the Washington State Constitution Article 4 Section 4. Can someone please tell me the proper full cite form? I don't know if it's RCW or RCWA (not a blue book pro here). Thanks!!

ph14

Re: WA State Constitution Blue Book Citation

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 pm

WAKidd304 wrote:Hi,

I need to cite to the Washington State Constitution Article 4 Section 4. Can someone please tell me the proper full cite form? I don't know if it's RCW or RCWA (not a blue book pro here). Thanks!!

Bluebook Rule 11 (p. 110):

When citing a constitution contained in an electronic database, indicate parenthetically the name of the publisher, editor, or compiler unless the constitution is published, edited, compiled by, or under the supervision of, federal or state officials. Also indicate the name of the database and information regarding the currency of the database as provided by the database itself:

Wash. Const. art. I, § 2 (West, Westlaw through Nov. 2003 amendments).

NOTE: Formatting is lost on TLS but "Wash. Const." should be in small caps.

WAKidd304

Postby WAKidd304 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:57 pm

ph14 wrote:
WAKidd304 wrote:Hi,

Bluebook Rule 11 (p. 110):

When citing a constitution contained in an electronic database, indicate parenthetically the name of the publisher, editor, or compiler unless the constitution is published, edited, compiled by, or under the supervision of, federal or state officials. Also indicate the name of the database and information regarding the currency of the database as provided by the database itself:

Wash. Const. art. I, § 2 (West, Westlaw through Nov. 2003 amendments).

NOTE: Formatting is lost on TLS but "Wash. Const." should be in small caps.

Thanks, ph14!

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 am

if your legal writing course is in WA you may want to look at the style sheet which lays out exceptions to the blue book in WA courts. here is the link

http://www.courts.wa.gov/appellate_tria ... reme.style

WAKidd304

Postby WAKidd304 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:02 pm

atcushman wrote:if your legal writing course is in WA you may want to look at the style sheet which lays out exceptions to the blue book in WA courts. here is the link

Thanks! I'm not quite sure if this site meshes entirely with the blue book though. For instance, if I want to quote to a statute, I would put "Wash. Rev. Code $ x.x.x (year)."

About that, here is a statute I am citing to (in cite form):

"Wash. Rev. Code § 74.34.020(12) (2012)."

Would I put a space between the 020 and the (12)?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:06 pm

WAKidd304 wrote:
atcushman wrote:if your legal writing course is in WA you may want to look at the style sheet which lays out exceptions to the blue book in WA courts. here is the link

Thanks! I'm not quite sure if this site meshes entirely with the blue book though. For instance, if I want to quote to a statute, I would put "Wash. Rev. Code $ x.x.x (year)."

No space I think. The difference between the annotated version or non-annotated version is generally with the annotated version you're citing directly to Westlaw, but when you're citing the non-annotated version you're purporting to cite the hard copy, I think. The state statutes section of the Bluebook is a bit weak though, and it's something that hopefully will be beefed up in the next edition.

WAKidd304

Postby WAKidd304 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:16 pm

ph14 wrote:
WAKidd304 wrote:

No space I think. The difference between the annotated version or non-annotated version is generally with the annotated version you're citing directly to Westlaw, but when you're citing the non-annotated version you're purporting to cite the hard copy, I think. The state statutes section of the Bluebook is a bit weak though, and it's something that hopefully will be beefed up in the next edition.

Thanks so much! So regarding this site, can I just post questions on here whenever I have them? I feel like I'm not giving anything back...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 pm

WAKidd304 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
WAKidd304 wrote:

Thanks so much! So regarding this site, can I just post questions on here whenever I have them? I feel like I'm not giving anything back...

Yep! Don't worry about it. We're here to help and happy to do so (provided the questions aren't something that can be easily googled).

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

WAKidd304 wrote:

Its hard to give you an answer without knowing the issue of your brief/where the parties are locate/what jurisdiction but in WA that style sheet overwrites the bluebook. Many jurisdictions have these sheets where the courts have said we really like the bluebook except for these parts, hence the lack of meshing-Prob not the best explanation but I hope it helps. And yes post away you may have to deal with some trolling from time to time but eventually the answer your looking for gets fleshed out.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 pm

atcushman wrote:
WAKidd304 wrote:

Its hard to give you an answer without knowing the issue of your brief/where the parties are locate/what jurisdiction but in WA that style sheet overwrites the bluebook. Many jurisdictions have these sheets where the courts have said we really like the bluebook except for these parts, hence the lack of meshing-Prob not the best explanation but I hope it helps. And yes post away you may have to deal with some trolling from time to time but eventually the answer your looking for gets fleshed out.

Well, I think there is a difference between writing a paper for a class and filing a brief in WA state court. I was assuming this was the former.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
atcushman wrote:
WAKidd304 wrote:

Well, I think there is a difference between writing a paper for a class and filing a brief in WA state court. I was assuming this was the former.

Troof although at my school they want us to use our states style sheet for state issues so OP may want to confirm with his Prof.

OP-If you pm with which school in WA you go to I might be able to give you a clearer answer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”