Depressed About Grades

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
pastapplicant
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Depressed About Grades

Postby pastapplicant » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Edited
Last edited by pastapplicant on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby bowser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

You're above median. Depending on how you do next semester you might have law-review worthy grades, or whatever. There are people with significantly higher GPAs who probably feel kinda bummed, too.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

There's still another semester.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

And there are people with lower grades would probably kick you for whining about being above median. Don't be the teenager who throws a tantrum because they got the wrong color iphone for Christmas.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Dude, above median at CCN is more than fine. Assuming you're not weird at interviews you'll get a job.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

pastapplicant wrote:3.35 GPA at CCN. I know I should be grateful for what I have yet I can't help but feel a bit let down that I will never make law review now and etc. Anyone else depressed due to the law school curve?


It's okay to be disappointed. But don't think that you can't make law review. I'm not sure what it is like at your school, but at mine the majority of law review acceptances are made purely on the basis write-on competition scores. Keep your chin up, try and figure out what you can do to improve your performance next semester, and give the write-on your best effort.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm

meh . . . law review is for dorks. every last person I know on a journal absolutely hates it. slaving away on something nobody reads, the sole purpose of which is to give profs an excuse for teaching a light course load . . . just to be able to say "I made it." All that glitters is not gold.

Just try not to let your grades drop. Spend all your time networking and improving job prospects. I know people in top10% and people on law review w/ no job . . . they should have spent more time networking, locking down good 1L work. You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm

portaprokoss wrote:meh . . . law review is for dorks. every last person I know on a journal absolutely hates it. slaving away on something nobody reads, the sole purpose of which is to give profs an excuse for teaching a light course load . . . just to be able to say "I made it." All that glitters is not gold.

Just try not to let your grades drop. Spend all your time networking and improving job prospects. I know people in top10% and people on law review w/ no job . . . they should have spent more time networking, locking down good 1L work. You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.


What is this, middle school?

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 am

portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 am

ph14 wrote:What is this, middle school?


yes.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. 1Ls freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking
Last edited by portaprokoss on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. People freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this.


This is a bit of an exaggeration. Grades still matter, although they aren't absolutely everything.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. People freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this.


This is a bit of an exaggeration. Grades still matter, although they aren't absolutely everything.


Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby bowser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 am

portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. 1Ls freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking



What you're saying contradicts almost everything I've heard. OP attends CCN. To say having LR and top-5% grades at one of those schools counts for very little when it comes to OCI seems impossible.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 am

bowser wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:You can bet your ass they'd rather be top-40% student w/ big law.



woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. 1Ls freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking



What you're saying contradicts almost everything I've heard. OP attends CCN. To say having LR and top-5% grades at one of those schools counts for very little when it comes to OCI seems impossible.


Yes. Portaprokoss is exaggerating.

portaprokoss wrote:Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.


I never said it wasn't a true anecdote, but it's more the exception than the rule, and you shouldn't base a generalization based on the fact that some data points don't fit the pattern. Top 10% & LR is much more important than your "1L summer work" for example. Anyways, this is sidetracking the thread, so let's stop this discussion.

MinEMorris
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 am

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby MinEMorris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

portaprokoss wrote:
ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

woah, surprise there.


Well, it came as a surprise to me and everyone I know how little grades matter at OCI. People in top 55% w/ 7 offers. People at top of the class with 0 offers. People freaking out because they aren't in top-10% should know this.


This is a bit of an exaggeration. Grades still matter, although they aren't absolutely everything.


Actually it's true anecdote. Grades matter, sure . . . but only for getting a candidate past the laugh test. No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10. Once you get past the laugh test networking, 1L summer work, and interviewing skills matter so much more than being in the top 10% & LR.


This is what happens to our brains after a few years of living and breathing cases. Too bad Life-Jurisdiction doesn't follow stare decisis.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 am

I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 am

portaprokoss wrote: No firm (except maybe 2) will laugh at top-40% from t-10.


This is a classic BruceWayne bat signal. Quickly!

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby spondee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 am

pastapplicant wrote:3.35 GPA at CCN. I know I should be grateful for what I have yet I can't help but feel a bit let down that I will never make law review now and etc. Anyone else depressed due to the law school curve?


Had similar grades after first semester. Then made law review, got my first choice firm, and graduated with honors. Plenty of time to improve. Don't stress out. Find out how to do better and focus on that.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 am

thesealocust wrote:I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.


Really. Care to name them? I'm hard pressed to think of a v-10 (save the two) that didn't callback or offer people from my school in the in the 30-50% range. They certainly didn't laugh at me.

Of course better grades give better opportunities generally, but look over the jobs threads for this year and you'll see the same thing over and over: "surprised how little grades mattered."
Last edited by portaprokoss on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am

portaprokoss wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I can think of several firms that will laugh at top 40% from T10 law schools. Like, off the top of my head.


Really. Care to name them? I'm hard pressed to think of a v-10 (save the two) that didn't callback or offer people in the 30-50% range. They certainly didn't laugh at me.


The V10 aren't necessarily the most selective firms and are a poor metric in general. W&C, MTO, Susman, Keker, Boies are all very selective, just to name a few. Also, "save the two" is terrible anti-S&C trolling.

In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:03 am

ph14 wrote:In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.


My claim is this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking

I never said grades don't matter

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

portaprokoss wrote:
ph14 wrote:In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.


My claim is this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking

I never said grades don't matter


That's still a bad claim, at least regards OCI.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby portaprokoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 am

ph14 wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:
ph14 wrote:In any event, what you posted in the above quoted post is not what you were claiming further up, i.e., that grades basically don't matter.


My claim is this: mixed As & Bs + networking > Straight As + LR + no networking

I never said grades don't matter


That's still a bad claim, at least regards OCI.


Successful networking results in people who are inside the firm pulling for you before OCI even begins. A good 1L job should give you opportunities to meet lawyers at top firms. It's simply false that being one of the faceless dozens w/ top-10% from a T-14, or one of the faceless dozens on a journal, is more important than having lawyers on the inside at a firm actively championing your hire before OCI has even begun.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Depressed About Grades

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 am

OP, just do a secondary journal if you really have that much self-loathing.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests