Question about 1L summer

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
splittermcsplit88

Question about 1L summer

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Would it be okay to work anywhere as long as I get to write legal memos and perform legal tasks? I know most 1Ls don't get associate positions at firms, but I'm a bit weary of volunteering at non-profits since they don't seem as competitive.

MinEMorris

Re: Question about 1L summer

Postby MinEMorris » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 pm

The general MO is that so long as it's legal, you're in the clear. Some things may be smarter career moves in terms of networking, getting a sense of what working in a certain area of the law is like, demonstrating a commitment to a certain area of public interest, etc. but at least insofar as firms go, what you did over the summer is a check mark and not a +/- mark. Volunteering at a non-profit is fine so long as you can explain why you chose that non-profit and you are able to have an interesting chat with an interviewer about what you did there. Really, I did stuff during the summer that is pretty far down the totem pole as far as how competitive it was, and I sweated it hard going into my interviews, but I can genuinely say that I never once got the slightest sense that anyone gave a shit. I even had a fair number of interviews where I don't think they even read that part of my resume.

If you really have no idea what you want to do, I would try to get an opportunity to do real legal research and writing under someone that you have strong reason to believe is good at research and writing and thus can give you solid feedback. Three months likely isn't enough to make real strides in your research and writing ability, but it is enough time to have major weaknesses in your research and writing ability exposed to you.

splittermcsplit88

Re: Question about 1L summer

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Sort of relieving to know, thanks!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”