Are Law School Critics Racist? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
manofjustice

Silver

Are Law School Critics Racist?

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am

http://stephen-diamond.com/?p=4425

What is this horse shit?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: Are Law School Critics Racist?

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 am

He's a 60-year-old associate professor at SCU (went to law school like 20+ years after college) who apparently realizes that Campos and Tamanaha are getting attention for their positions and now wants to jump on the bandwagon. I love the irony of him saying that the out-of-work atty scambloggers are self-interested but his desire to protect "academic freedom" (ie, law professors' right to make an obscene amount of $ and teach very few classes) is purely altruistic :roll:

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 am

What kind of incoherent blathering was that? He is arguing against points no one is making.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Apparently, it's so easy to be racist now-a-days. Why just this morning I was getting some morning coffee and I said to the cashier "you know, honesty and fair dealing should be a cornerstone of the academy's intellectual and financial business" and the professor behind me said "you know, young chap, that's racist."

I thanked the professor for his moral vigilance, paid him for his service (I am unable, on my own, to monitor the torrent of horrible thoughts that threaten to burst into my consciousness at every moment), and continued on to my class with Professor Diamond.

Just another day...

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

Are you fucking kidding me? I can't believe I wasted my morning bus ride reading that piece of shit article.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 am

I left a comment that's pending moderation. We'll see how that goes.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am

manofjustice wrote:Apparently, it's so easy to be racist now-a-days. Why just this morning I was getting some morning coffee and I said to the cashier "you know, honesty and fair dealing should be a cornerstone of the academy's intellectual and financial business" and the professor behind me said "you know, young chap, that's racist."

I thanked the professor for his moral vigilance, paid him for his service (I am unable, on my own, to monitor the torrent of horrible thoughts that threaten to burst into my consciousness at every moment), and continued on to my class with Professor Diamond.

Just another day...
I lol'd.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

I like the Fox News style naming of this thread.
Coming up, "Did Obama kill a hooker in the Oval Office?"
No, but someone on Tumblr thought he had

esqesq

New

Post by esqesq » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:34 am

Let the man talk, he's helping law school reform. His ardent defense of Santa Clara's employment statistics revealed one was clearly false, as detailed on Paul Campos' blog. Let him help dig the law schools into a hole.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

esqesq wrote:Let the man talk, he's helping law school reform. His ardent defense of Santa Clara's employment statistics revealed one was clearly false, as detailed on Paul Campos' blog. Let him help dig the law schools into a hole.
But what about the latent fallacies? Doesn't it depress you?

If law professors want to be real academics, they'll have to learn to adhere to a very strict code of debate. It seems that this gent is straying far off the reservation. It's quite sad--literally, sad.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm

IAFG wrote:I left a comment that's pending moderation. We'll see how that goes.
Same

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

Comment on Prof. Diamond's blog post wrote:Concerned law professor on January 22, 2013 at 10:18 pm said:
I teach a con law class to undergrads every other year. When I heard about these “scam” blogs I asked my students about them. No one spoke in class but the next day a student came by. He explained that a number of pre-law students are trying to trick other students into forgoing law school by posting multiple times every day on various websites frequented by people considering law schools. The horror stories they tell are ridiculous on their face, for example, some of the posters on Prof. Campos’s blog claim that Columbia law school is a scam and a rip off! I asked why students would do such a thing. He explained that the posters were all people who wanted to increase their chances by getting into a top law school. They hope their posts will reduce the number of students they are competing with. I told him this was the most unethical thing I had ever heard of and that it would not work….Professor Diamond, please keep up your great work. I and my peers are grateful. We wish we could you join publicly but fear the backlash you have had to endure from these conspirators who, ironically, know how valuable a legal education is and are only trying to trick others into forgoing it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 am

manofjustice wrote:
Comment on Prof. Diamond's blog post wrote:Concerned law professor on January 22, 2013 at 10:18 pm said:
I teach a con law class to undergrads every other year. When I heard about these “scam” blogs I asked my students about them. No one spoke in class but the next day a student came by. He explained that a number of pre-law students are trying to trick other students into forgoing law school by posting multiple times every day on various websites frequented by people considering law schools. The horror stories they tell are ridiculous on their face, for example, some of the posters on Prof. Campos’s blog claim that Columbia law school is a scam and a rip off! I asked why students would do such a thing. He explained that the posters were all people who wanted to increase their chances by getting into a top law school. They hope their posts will reduce the number of students they are competing with. I told him this was the most unethical thing I had ever heard of and that it would not work….Professor Diamond, please keep up your great work. I and my peers are grateful. We wish we could you join publicly but fear the backlash you have had to endure from these conspirators who, ironically, know how valuable a legal education is and are only trying to trick others into forgoing it.
That's hilarious.

I try to do my part to let our administration know how the students (or me at the very least) feel about law school. Last semester I had a new professor who was evaluated several times by various administrators. I sat near the back center and the evaluator would always sit pretty much right behind me. On those occasions, I made sure I surfed Campos' blog during class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 am

manofjustice wrote:

yikes...

ehall20

New

Post by ehall20 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 am

Last edited by ehall20 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 am

I am beyond livid. He emailed me and told me I had to post under my real name. But if you agree with him it is okay to post anonymously?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 am

Holy shit he is out of touch. He is actually arguing that we needed him in boom times and are just mad now because the economy crashed. Does he not realize spam bloggers were active during the boom too, and that law schools were over supplying at that time as well?!?!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 am

Concerned law student on January 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm said:
How do you have a job (I use the word in its loosest sense to describe law professors), but I don’t? This is entirely nonsensical.
edit
Last edited by dkb17xzx on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 am

That there were discriminatory barriers against entry of minorities, ethnic groups and women into law schools a century ago is true; but it does not follow that we have to destroy the quality and standards established over the last hundred years in order to provide access to more potential lawyers. The proof of this lies in the presence today of law school classes that are half women and half men and with much greater racial and ethnic diversity than in days of Kingsfield.
WUTTTT?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 am

From Inside the Law School Scam:
He has a dream
Upper class white guy with a six-figure psuedo-job from which he can never be fired says: If you think law schools shouldn't be allowed to charge whatever cost of attendance they want, while requiring the federal government to loan that entire amount in the form of non-dischargeable high interest loans subject to no actuarial controls to anyone law schools choose to admit, then you are ("objectively" as the Marxists used to say) in favor of the following things:

The revival of Jim Crow.

The destruction of both academic freedom and the Rule of Law.

Racism, sexism, and classism.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 am

manofjustice wrote:
LOL

So that's what TLS is for...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 am

Did Prof. Diamond just password protect his blog from outsiders?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

manofjustice wrote:Did Prof. Diamond just password protect his blog from outsiders?
I think so. I couldn't access it this morning. What a fucking joke he is.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

It's giving me a log-in prompt. Do I really need to sign up to see this crap?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 am

3|ink wrote:It's giving me a log-in prompt. Do I really need to sign up to see this crap?
That changed from yesterday. The guy probably decided he didn't want to actually deal with legit criticism.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”